Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/2/2006 2:43:43 PM EDT
Not referring to shoeing horses here. My son got me a forge for Christmas. There is a LOT to learn. I've been doing cabinetwork for 30 years (built all the furniture in my house) but this is a whole different deal. Any basic books you could recommend? My first project is a freestanding coat/hat rack w/ iron feet and hooks w/ a cherry post.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:46:40 PM EDT
Where did he get the forge?

I happen to have a forge, but I don't think it works. My dad and his dad used to use it. I come from a long line of blacksmiths, but alas I'm the first lame ass who doesn't know how to do it . . .
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:59:15 PM EDT
I have read that using ball bearing material, you can make a knife that has better qualities than any mass produced knife. I have witnessed it, very hard to work the material.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 3:04:55 PM EDT by peasant]
He had another blacksmith build it . Runs on regular propane tanks and has a door on each end where you feed the stock thru it. I already had an anvil(came from our family farm). We mounted that on a walnut stump. Other than that you need hammers and tongs and a bucket of water.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:04:53 PM EDT
http://www.lindsaybks.com/ is a good place to start... I think woodcraft supply migth also have a book or two about it. Ill try to find my other links...standby
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:06:50 PM EDT
I dont have a any good books but the basics are as such:

1) Learn what color the metal needs to be for what you intend to do. There is such a thing as TOO hot

2) Get some barstock and practice. Can you make a knife blade? Start doing the basic shapes (we're not talking something you plan on using here). My first project to "get the feel for it" was a spear head.

3) The next step (and I argue, the hardest to pick up) is forging two pieces of metal together. Adding that hook to the main pole of a coat rack, for example, is much harder than merely beating the hook alone into shape.

Once you get past the basics is when you really need help... be it a tutor or specialized books.

Don't forget proper ventilation, good gloves, apron, etc. Don't skimp on equipment!

- BG

(I am in no way a professional blacksmith. It was merely a hobby for a few years.)

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:10:28 PM EDT
Buddy of mine built one, and using rebar used to make crude stuff

Pretty cool. Those guys who make swords and stuff are freakin' amazing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:24:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 3:26:05 PM EDT by peasant]
BUCC guy - The coat hooks will be fastened to the cherry posts w/ brass wood screws. RAGNAROC - BALLBEARINGS for knife blades??? He must be making little tiny pocketknives............
Top Top