Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/2/2006 10:47:37 AM EDT
Civilian Panel Says Cop Wrong in Deadly Shooting
AP Online
via NewsEdge Corporation

LOS ANGELES_A police officer violated policy by shooting to death a 13-year-old boy who rammed a vehicle into a patrol car, a civilian-run commission ruled Tuesday.

Officer Steven Garcia acted properly by drawing his weapon, the Police Commission said, but he violated policy when he fired 10 rounds, striking Devin Brown six times.

The ruling was at odds with that of Police Chief William Bratton, who determined the officer had followed policies.

The five-member commission, appointed by the mayor, is charged with setting policy and goals for the Police Department. A police board now will determine whether Garcia must be disciplined. Prosecutors said last month they would not charge him.

The Feb. 6 shooting occurred after Garcia and his partner, suspecting a drunken driver, attempted to pull over a car with Brown at the wheel. The boy led them on a brief chase and crashed into a fence. He put the vehicle in reverse and rammed a patrol car, prompting Garcia to shoot.

The commission said Garcia violated policy because he fired his gun when he wasn't in immediate danger.

The shooting inflamed tensions in South Los Angeles, and the new ruling was being closely watched by community activists, who have accused the police department of racism. The teen was black and the officer is Hispanic.

Brown's mother has sued the city, alleging wrongful death and civil rights violations.

Chief says its okay, DA says its okay, but a group of political community "leaders" says he must hang.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:50:07 AM EDT
Pray to God you never have to shoot someone in self-defense. Or pray to God that you get a good DA who won't press charges.

If I have to shoot someone in self defense, I'm going to either empty the mag on them or shoot until they stop moving.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:50:13 AM EDT
Someone warn the Koreans.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:53:03 AM EDT
60% hit rate when firing under duress, at a moving target thats behind cover is pretty damn good. I wonder if the 4 shots that "missed" were actually stopped by the vehicle(cover)?
Top Top