Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/2/2006 8:19:05 AM EDT

First bill cycle without the wife's income (she quit to finish up her degree)  We were poor before, but now we're just broke

But, I'm prepared - I bought a case of 5.56 in December to hold me over until she finishes...  What other resource and funds -saving tips and tricks should I exercise?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
First bill cycle without the wife's income (she quit to finish up her degree)

But, I'm prepared - I bought a case of 5.56 in December to hold me over until she finishes...

One case?

How long is it gonna take her, a week?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:21:15 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But, I'm prepared - I bought a case of 5.56 in December to hold me over until she finishes...

One case?

I go through ~100rds each trip.  I like to take it slow and pace myself.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:23:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One case?

Ah.

I have a habit of shooting up every mag I bring... sometimes it's 5, sometimes it's 15.  It gets a lot worse when there's fun stuff to shoot, like printers, fax machines, etc.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Steal TP from work.

Get a BIG 1 gallon naglene and bring water home from work.

Steal trash bags from work.

If your work has a break room, bring your empty dish soap bottle and fill that up too.

Candles or oil lamps instead of electric lights. 4 - candles can heat a room nice.

Just check out the survival forum.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Steal TP from work.

If your work has a break room, bring your empty dish soap bottle and fill that up too.

Candles or oil lamps instead of electric lights. 4 - candles can heat a room nice.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:25:27 AM EDT
[#6]
quick tip-
Don't buy anything you can make yourself, I mean no lattes, pack your lunch, ect..
It's the 3-5 bucks a day that can realy add up.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#7]

p.s.  office equipment is more fun to shoot with a 12GA
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:26:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I have no idea.  Haven't been there since college.

Sell your body.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:29:08 AM EDT
[#9]
This is no joke. When I was in school I was on a tight budget. I took up Chinese cooking.

A. I liked it.

B. There is some slicing/chopping involved, but after that things cook up in a couple of minutes.

C. The ingredients it uses are generally cheap. Instead of cooking a hunk of meat you pre-slice it and mix it up with a bunch of vegetables. Lot of chicken. Fish is cheap if you catch your own. You need a wok and a couple of cooking tools and some basic spices, but that's it.

There are probably some Asian markets in your area where you can get your supplies.

ETA: if you have a weird blood type you can (could) get a good price for it.

Also: I knew some guys who, for some up front money, sold their bodies to some outfit so that when they died they would become med students semester project. Fortunately I had that near the bottom of the list and never got there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:31:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
This is no joke. When I was in school I was on a tight budget. I took up Chinese cooking.

A. I liked it.

B. There is some slicing/chopping involved, but after that things cook up in a couple of minutes.

C. The ingredients it uses are generally cheap. Instead of cooking a hunk of meat you pre-slice it and mix it up with a bunch of vegetables. Lot of chicken. Fish is cheap if you catch your own. You need a wok and a couple of cooking tools and some basic spices, but that's it.

There are probably some Asian markets in your area where you can get your supplies.

now that's awesome.  Actually, God is taking care of us.  I still have over 20 lbs of venison in my freezer from a prior hunt that should last well into the year
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:31:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Sell your body.  

now why didn't i think of that  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I was broke couple times while going to school.
Here is what I learned...

Mac and cheese is very economical and you can make it without butter or milk.

Hamberger Helper taste okay without the hamberger.

Eggs are very economical.

Supermarkets and bakerys will usually sell day old bread for 50% off... sometimes for free.

You can go to public bathrooms early in the morning and take out rolls of toilet papers for use at home.   They usually clean and re-stock toilets at night.

Its better to pay more and use the BIG washer at coin laundry than to use couple small ones... also you don't have to sort your close.  Wash everything in warm water but don't add bleach.

As a last resort, look at the obiterary section of the local paper and see where the wake will be held.  Go by some close ones and see if any are really large.  You can attend large ones and eat without attracting any attention since not everybody knows each other.

It sucks to be poor    

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:32:25 AM EDT
[#13]
sell plasma to to buy cases of top ramon
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#14]
cut your rations 50%

drink tap water

no beers, no sodft drinks!

no more fast food

prepare low cost home cooked meals, like pasta, rice pilaf, ramen noodles, etc

make that case of 5.56 last until next December, fire 50 - 60 rds a trip, slow aimed fire, only load 5 rds per mag, no bump firing..

conserve fuel, ride a bicycle more often
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#15]
cut your rations 50%

drink tap water

no beers, no sodft drinks!

no more fast food

prepare low cost home cooked meals, like pasta, rice pilaf, ramen noodles, etc

make that case of 5.56 last until next December, fire no more than 50 - 60 rds a trip, slow aimed fire, only load 5 rds per mag, no bump firing..

ride a bicycle to save money on fuel costs
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:34:59 AM EDT
[#16]
i see that the common thread here revolves around food purchases
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I don't have a recipe for "General Beetle's Venison" but since you are braising it, Chinese would be a good way to cook it. Except those nasty ole tenderloins. I'll take those off your hands!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

A. I liked it.

ETA: if you have a weird blood type you can (could) get a good price for it.

Also: I knew some guys who, for some up front money, sold their bodies to some outfit so that when they died they would become med students semester project. Fortunately I had that near the bottom of the list and never got there.

Being a po' college student myself I'll second this. Also, If you are up for new things, look into thai or korean food. Much of the stuff is simple, delicious, and makes you feel like you're eating something exotic and fancy.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#19]
My money saving tips:

1.  Beans and Rice
2.  In College I survived on Pizza Sandwiches - 2 slices of bread, some spaghetti sauce and a slice of cheese.  Heat it on a grill.  1 loaf of bread, a 24 pack of cheese and a jar of spaghetti can last days.
3.  In a lot of areas you can find day old bread really cheap.
4.  Hunting and Fishing can pay off.
5.  A garden with a few of your favorite veggies can really help.  You can grow quite a bit in pots if you don't have room for a garden.
6.  Drink water or tea instead of soda.
7.  Use powdered milk for cooking.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:39:05 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Sell your body.  

But keep your trigger finger.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:41:50 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Dozen eggs = $1

Have 4 for breakfast, 8 hard bolied for lunch.

1 box pasta & 1 jar sauce  = $2

Dinner.

Drink water from the tap and you can live on 3 dollars a day on food.

Of course, you will probably lose too because you'll be sick of eggs and pasta and won't eat.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#22]
Potatoes.

Dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I'll buy the case of .223 from you Seriously, let me know before you go out and start selling stuff. Lots of us here will help you keep afloat. We've been there. I need you to get a good job so you can start paying my social security.

rk
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#24]
A few tips:

Don't turn on the Heat.

Don't turn on the A/C.

Keep the fridge as warm as possible.

Don't flush the toilet unless absolutely necessary.

Skip 2 or 3 showers

Don't wash your clothes unless people tell you wreak of death.

Ramen is cheap.

The best street corners are generally near downtown.

Propane cooks nicely.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:46:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'll buy the case of .223 from you Seriously, let me know before you go out and start selling stuff. Lots of us here will help you keep afloat. We've been there. I need you to get a good job so you can start paying my social security.

rk

lol, thanks.  I doubt it will get that bad, we are blesssed enough that our bills are very low (our mortgage is $100/month less than any apartments arounds here).

Social security - what social security?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:46:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Most people blow a fair amount on
1) Cable TV
2) Cell Phones
3) Wifes Fake Nails
4) Name brand clothing
5) Eating Out

Each one of these are a easy cut.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:48:00 AM EDT
[#27]
You can feed a normal person regular food for 35 dollars a week.  That is meat with every meal etc etc.

Thats my weekly food budget.  I have some kind of meat every lunch and dinner and bacon with breakfast three days a week.

Three days I get up early for class I cook 2 eggs, some bacon and toast.

The other four days I eat a poptart knockoff or cheap cereal.

Lunch is a can of soup a sammich (bread two or three pieces of lunch meat and some cheese) and some chips with water or milk.

Dinner is the main entre (spaghetti including added sausage, pork, steak if on sale, hamburger etc) with one of those small cans of green beans corn etc and maybe a salad with milk.

Drink water for when you are thirsty.

You can live dirt cheap and still eat normal foods!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#28]

AGREED (even before we got broke)

Quoted:
Most people blow a fair amount on
1) Cable TV actually, our cable is temporarily free with the broadband (that is required for her school work)
2) Cell Phones the only phone service we have, and required as well
3) Wifes Fake Nails not a problem
4) Name brand clothing still wearing the boxers that I had in high school
5) Eating Out see, 'freezer full of venison' comment

Each one of these are a easy cut.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

One case?

homepage.uab.edu/beetle/rifle1.JPG

Hours of fun, if not the whole day
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:56:50 AM EDT
[#30]
A iron will get a skillet hot enough to cook on, i was stuck in a  hotel for 3 weeks with no stove
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:59:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Second job?

The great thing is that you are supporting her while she is going to school.  You will own half of her ass if you ever break up.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Free samples, This site has few each day. They seem to be decent links with no hoops to jump through.
Check out www.freestufftimes.com/
Takes a while to get them but they are free.

My wife shops at the day old bakery. They advertise in the penny saver. Saves 50 to 75% there.

Save aluminum cans and plastic bottles. See if you can collect them at work.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Steal TP from work.

And then get fired for stealing stupid cheap shit from work. Then he'll really be up shit creek. Employers do not like having stuff stolen from them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:04:37 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dozen eggs = $1

Have 4 for breakfast, 8 hard bolied for lunch.

"I can eat 50 eggs"

wdsman's garden tip is a good one. Check out "Composting" instead of buying a lot of fertilizer. It'll also use up a lot of your "garbage" (egg shells, vegetable left overs, etc) that would be wasted and will give your plants a boost. Get started now on your cabbage, onions.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#35]
http://solarcooking.org/plans.htm

http://www.off-grid.net/common/mailme.php?id=194

good sugestions, all. i face the very real prospect of being laid off in the next three months or so.  where are the website for all the suggestions (composting, garden, etc)?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:23:46 AM EDT
[#36]
never shoot up all your ammo, always keep something in reserve storage.

what if TSHTF next month and you use up all your ammo supply ?

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I was broke couple times while going to school.
Here is what I learned...

Mac and cheese is very economical and you can make it without butter or milk.

Hamberger Helper taste okay without the hamberger.

Supermarkets and bakerys will usually sell day old bread for 50% off... sometimes for free.

You can go to public bathrooms early in the morning and take out rolls of toilet papers for use at home.   They usually clean and re-stock toilets at night.

Its better to pay more and use the BIG washer at coin laundry than to use couple small ones... also you don't have to sort your close.  Wash everything in warm water but don't add bleach.

As a last resort, look at the obiterary section of the local paper and see where the wake will be held.  Go by some close ones and see if any are really large.  You can attend large ones and eat without attracting any attention since not everybody knows each other.

It sucks to be poor    

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
A few tips:

Don't turn on the Heat.

Don't turn on the A/C.

Keep the fridge as warm as possible.

Don't flush the toilet unless absolutely necessary.

Skip 2 or 3 showers

Don't wash your clothes unless people tell you wreak of death.

Ramen is cheap.

The best street corners are generally near downtown.

Propane cooks nicely.

I have found that dressing like Pippi Longstocking guarnatees lots of sure "dates".

( HEY! How else am I supposed to pay for my BRD caused addiction? )
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:32:06 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Steal TP from work.

And then get fired for stealing stupid cheap shit from work. Then he'll really be up shit creek. Employers do not like having stuff stolen from them.

Exactly. I'd fire someone I saw taking toilet paper rolls. If they're desparate, they should talk to me not devise their own rules for property entitlement. I'd help anyone in any way I could, bring them to my home, but steal and you're gone.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:36:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Wife and I did it when we were in school - summer of 2002 two of us ate for 28 dollars a week total and had meat twice a day.  Budget Budget Budget.  Stick to it.  

Clip coupons for stuff you actually need.  See where the sales are on what you need that week.  Only go shopping 1x per week or 1x every two weeks.  It is cheap to make a big salad, add some grated cheese and a half slice of chopped turkey or a hardboiled egg that was chopped up.  Drink tap water.  Cut the cable TV, drop the cell phone plans, drop the long distance plan and use a prepaid calling card for landline long distance.  Walk to the park and feed the ducks with a 99cent loaf of bread for fun.  Make sundaes or root beer floats at home out of a box of ice cream and toppings instead of going to Dairy Queen.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Have your Wife get a part time job. I finished my Degree and was working a full time job with over- time. It was a real bitch, but it can be done. There is a million ways to make some extra bank, it is just a lot of work to do it sometimes when you are also going full time to school. You should not have to starve for the next few years just because your Wife wants to finish her degree. Most people work at least part time while going to school. I wish you both good luck......
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#42]
You should scale back your deductions on your W4 You can IM me privately since I'm familiar with your taxes.

You should also make it a habit to shop for groceries no more than twice a month and do not eat out.  Pack your lunch to work.

Go through your stuff and have a yard sell or ebay things you don't need or use.

Keep looking ahead.  

Patty
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:41:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Its a couple of hoops to jump through but selling Plasma on a regular basis is $175 a month or was when I did it. You can set up appointments a couple of times a month after work. Once they check your blood there may be a bonus for you if your a regular.
Well worth the time.

Thrift store, clothes etc....

Cheap cuts of meat cooked in the crock pot while your at work and the wfies at school.

Tell the neighbors youll cut their yards when you cuts your for a price so low they cant refuse. Start at the normal price and work down, you out there anyways.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:47:28 AM EDT
[#44]
A lot of good advice here. I'm a grad student so I know how you feel. One thing I did not see mentioned, if you drink beer learn how to brew your own. Don't get fancy with it just learn a basic brew and it will pay off for you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#45]
Gumbo for 7-8bucks!

Chicken...3$
Sausage..3$
onions, (yellow&green), bell pepper....~1$
Make your own roux though.

Save 3$ if you swap the chicken for blackbirds. Then you have enouf for a 6 pack of Ol'Milwaukee.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#46]
I buy the big value packs of meat at the grocery store and separate it into individuval meals.  The larger sizes are less expensive.  Only buy vegetables that are in season and less expensive.  I also buy the day old bread.  I buy a loaf of bread, take it to work on Monday and make toast for breakfast all week with it (keep it in the freezer at work).  That 1.50 muffin every day adds up fast!

Kielbasa (polish sausage) is very cheap, and makes awesome meals.

Drink the office coffee, instead of stopping on your way to work.

Don't drive like a lunatic.  Stay at or just over the speed limit and you get better gas mileage.  You'd really be amazed what a difference it can make.

Sell your old stuff on Ebay.  You'd be amazed what folks will buy!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:20:38 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Is that harder to carry than the small 1 gallon nalgene??
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that harder to carry than the small 1 gallon nalgene??

What weighs more, 1 pound of Steel or 1 pound of Feathers?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:26:39 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:27:51 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sell your body.  

But keep your trigger finger.

Actually the legally "selling your body" is not bad advice for a student, whose schedule is very flexible.

When I was a doctoral student in the Chicago area, other students particpated in a lot of medical studies and human drug trials - which could pay pretty well, and which wasn't even an inconvenience for them, since most of the time they'd just be sitting around reading, writing, and thinking.  Might as well be paid to do that in a hosptial bed overnight instead of sitting at home.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top