User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:16:03 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Name me ONE product the General Dynamics sell to the public.

Do you think they are just going to terminate their profitable LE line?

He said the public, not LE.  If you think LE is public, please tell me where I can pick up my G36 .

Yep, Government contracts are cash cows, and I'm not just talking about the US government.
This is the company that sells F-16 fighter jets to governments world wide.

The miniscule profit returned by a few LE carbine civvy sales is probably less than the annual salary they pay their corporate lawyers.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:16:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He said the public, not LE.  If you think LE is public, please tell me where I can pick up my G36 .

You do know that Colt Defense currently sells non-NFA weapons to individual officers, don't you?  In free states, we can own these weapons as well.  My point is that GD is better at dealing with the government than most and can, if it chooses to do so, resist government pressure that many suspect Colt has be succumbing to for years.  Considering that GD, like many companies, is at least nominally capitalist, they would have an incentive to lessen some of the restrictions Colt Defense has put on its LEO line (in particular, only selling to LE distributors).  Obviously there are no guarantees, but I think there is an opportunity here.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:17:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Colt sux.

Thank you for your intelligent statement. Not.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do know that Colt Defense currently sells non-NFA weapons to individual officers, don't you?  In free states, we can own these weapons as well.  My point is that GD is better at dealing with the government than most and can, if it chooses to do so, resist government pressure that many suspect Colt has be succumbing to for years.  Considering that GD, like many companies, is at least nominally capitalist, they would have an incentive to lessen some of the restrictions Colt Defense has put on its LEO line (in particular, only selling to LE distributors).  Obviously there are no guarantees, but I think there is an opportunity here.  

Well it's all in the realm of speculation anyway. We'll just have to wait and see if this proves to be a reality.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
I suspect that GD has enough clout to tell .gov to kiss-off on sales to civilians.  Its one of those "when you owe the bank a lot, you own the bank" type deals.  .gov can't exactly replace GD, as it is one of the few companies that can do what it does.

That strikes me as wishful thinking.

It is far more likely GD will not want to be bothered with civilian sales and the Colt name will be sold off for someone else to use in the civilian market.

My guess is Colt other than name only is effectively dead as a civilian maker.

Did you guys read the story?  The consumer/general public side is being sold seperately.

Yes, but I believe that the LE rifles are made by Colt Defense.  

What has that to do with the consumer division being sold seperately?

Actually, if GD does sell to LE, they ARE selling to civilians.

My point was that Colt, as a relatively small company, has always been at the mercy of .gov because the lions share of its work was the M4 contract.  Now, GD obviously has strong ties to .gov as well, but .gov needs them far more than they need any single small arms manufacturer.  I hope this means that GD will take a more liberal/less PC attitude with regards to sale of LEO models to everyone.  There is a huge market out there for Colt LE rifles, and GD may be less timid in entering that market than Colt was.  

Time will tell.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:55:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, Government contracts are cash cows, and I'm not just talking about the US government.

The miniscule profit returned by a few LE carbine civvy sales is probably less than the annual salary they pay their corporate lawyers.

General Dynamics sold their fighter aircraft business to Lockheed Martin some years ago and thus are no longer in the F-16 business.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:23:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

General Dynamics sold their fighter aircraft business to Lockheed Martin some years ago and thus are no longer in the F-16 business.

thier website says: Aerospace, Combat Systems, Information Systems and Technology, and Marine Systems.

What other aircraft do they manufacture, or is it strictly avionics and systems these days?

Never mind, I see Gulfstream aviation is a GD owned company.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:45:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have a wireless division that does cell site management and maint. While that may not be something your average Joe would want or need, it is a product available to the general public, that has absolutely nothing to do with military contracts. This is not a huge profit maker, but it does produce a profit. I would imagine that if GD sees a chance for an increase in sales they will make significant changes to thier policies regarding department letterhead requirements and such.

+1, when I was working in the wireless industry, our GTE guys that provided services to us became GD guys and kept on providing the same service.  They still wouldn't give me an F16, though.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:01:54 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm buying Colt.  I paid for it with embezzled student loan money.  I hope mom doesn't find out.

Well I'll tell her if you don't give me an A1 carbine upper!

SoS
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:03:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They have a wireless division that does cell site management and maint. While that may not be something your average Joe would want or need, it is a product available to the general public, that has absolutely nothing to do with military contracts. This is not a huge profit maker, but it does produce a profit. I would imagine that if GD sees a chance for an increase in sales they will make significant changes to thier policies regarding department letterhead requirements and such.

+1, when I was working in the wireless industry, our GTE guys that provided services to us became GD guys and kept on providing the same service.  They still wouldn't give me an F16, though.

Cheers,

kk7sm

I didn't get an employee discount when I worked for Lockheed either.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:16:45 AM EDT
[#12]
tagged for info. about the commercial division
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:18:31 AM EDT
[#13]
I was told Outdoor Wire retracted this story -- does anyone else know if that's the case?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:27:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Can you imagine if Ruger or Remington bought Colt Commercial.

I ithink the temperature in Hell would fall below 32º Fahrenheit before Ruger bought an evil black rifle company.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:39:29 AM EDT
[#15]
My mom told me Hesse Arms bought Colt
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:47:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Can you imagine if Ruger or Remington bought Colt Commercial.

I ithink the temperature in Hell would fall below 32º Fahrenheit before Ruger bought an evil black rifle company.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I specifically asked the guys at the Colt booth this question. They said it is nothing but a rumor. General Dynamics did not buy Colt's Defense. Colt's Manufacturing is not being bought, either. So I said to the guy, "So, Colt's not up for sale at this time?" He said, everything's for sale for the right price, but that nobody's in the market to buy them.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:02:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I specifically asked the guys at the Colt booth this question. They said it is nothing but a rumor. General Dynamics did not buy Colt's Defense. Colt's Manufacturing is not being bought, either. So I said to the guy, "So, Colt's not up for sale at this time?" He said, everything's for sale for the right price, but that nobody's in the market to buy them.

Something like that would be big news. And yet nowhere to be seen in news anywhere.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:05:13 AM EDT
[#19]
GD(Convair) used to also make the fastest bomber(B-58),the fastest interceptor(F-106),and the fastest,strongest airliner(CV-880/990 series).
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

They are using the company line.  You will find out the details soon.  It is a done deal.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They are using the company line.  You will find out the details soon.  It is a done deal.

Better buy that stock, then. Buy all you can. Re-mortgage the house if need be.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, that IS a pretty standard reply. Don't know anything about the Colt situation but most companies will lie thru their teeth about any deals until the day after it's done.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:23:19 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You do that.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:21:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#25]
At SHOT Colt is saying nothing os going on with the sale.......

Stay tuned.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Intersting.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top