BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:15:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I agree.
I wish Ed Sr would issue an edict banning the word "DUPE".
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:17:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I am sure that ARFCOM would come up with another word to use.

ARFCOM will evolve to the point that all words may have to be banned.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I've enjoyed reading here since I've joined, but the idiotic shit like "dupe" has had me second guessing paid membership quite a bit.

Truthfully... nothing irritates me more than childish behavior (especially from adults) and it's been the root cause of my absence from many forums over the years... Including some I've built myself, and others I simply worked for.

Its disappointing to invest money, time, effort, and build friendships in a place that after so long  becomes absolutely intolerable, all because the juveniles are allowed to ruin discussions. After awhile, the overall quality declines, and quantity soon follows as intelligent conversationalists seek out more pleasing pastures.  I'd hate to see it happen here too.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I've enjoyed reading here since I've joined, but the idiotic shit like "dupe" has had me second guessing paid membership quite a bit.

Truthfully... nothing irritates me more than childish behavior (especially from adults) and it's been the root cause of my absence from many forums over the years... Including some I've built myself, and others I simply worked for.

Its disappointing to invest money, time, effort, and build friendships in a place that after so long  becomes absolutely intolerable, all because the juveniles are allowed to ruin discussions. After awhile, the overall quality declines, and quantity soon follows as intelligent conversationalists seek out more pleasing pastures.  I'd hate to see it happen here too.

It is worth the money.

The BOTD  threads on Team are .
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:54:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
just because a topic has been posted earlier does not make it an ayutomatic lock under the COC.

8.) Posting repeat topics with similar or slightly varying titles. While it may seem to be funny, the "spamming" of the community in this manner results in problems for users and management. (Multiple topics on important issues or discussions are acceptable, this only applies to topics which waste resources for no other reason except personal enjoyment or humor.)

This rule is for the purpose of preventing spam BS from over running the forum.

Calling DUPE on EVERY thread has gotten beyond old. Calling DUPE in a thread regarding a fallen soldier is just WRONG and in severely poor taste.

mike

w00t!!

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks beer slayer..

I have had a few things locked - though I had NO idea they were dupes (even did a search as far back as I could).

Some of you who are on here 24/7 should remember that not ALL of us are. Just because you saw it 5 months ago doesnt mean every one else has. An oldie but goodie is worthy of a repost now and again. With out the "dupe dupe" birds calling out each time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:41:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I posted a thread pointing out the same thing when that dupe rule was put in place with it worded the way it is and one of the mods, tc6969 I think, told me that "doesn't matter it was handed down from the owner that we lock all dupe threads".

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:45:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/fight4yourrights/Online%20Pics/DUPE.jpg

thanks for trying to fuckup a serious thread

You may want to sober up before shitting in other peoples threads then if you exspect anyone to take you at your word.

Smart ass remarks by you here

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You may want to sober up before shitting in other peoples threads then if you exspect anyone to take you at your word.

Oh, great example and excellent comparison!  

Set down and hush or back in the closet with no dinner for you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:08:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:13:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am sure that ARFCOM would come up with another word to use.

ARFCOM will evolve to the point that all words may have to be banned.

You've come to this conclusion in the three weeks since you signed up?  

No, I have lurked here for over a year before I signed up.

I am just saying ARFCOM is like a living breathing thing it will evolve to survive.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#16]
It seems that a lot of the problem comes from +1,or post whoreing,Dupe,or other ways that one might feel they need many posts to be accepted here!!!

How about NO shown posts,just a joining date!  Then there would be no need for any +1 or attention Whores!!!   You can surely get any additional info from staff or members about any person you need to know more about!!!

The number of posts or replys to posts should not be a big concern here!

So just start me out as post#1!

Won't make one diference to me,I'll know and those that joined at about the same time will know me!!

We have created a sight that uses names like newbee,like they were sewed on chevrons that one has earned!

Any thing that makes one feel more indowed with negative or just anything to get thier post count up is why the number of posts count shown is a bad Idea!

YMMV     Bob
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:25:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Gentlemen:

If this is because of my post about the SD marine this morning I did not intend to create such a sh!tstorm. I did do a search for that topic and didn't draw a hit before posting. I had seen it earlier on another board this morning and I guess I missed it here the first time. My Search FU is weak I guess.

I was stunned after seeing that article, for the photos and for the positive slant to the story and thought I'd share.

I do wish the first to yell DUPE would at least link to the original post.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:29:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:59:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:00:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you high or did you post the wrong link..

i will stand by that comment that Steak Sauce is a cover for cheap meat and shitty cooks.

I totally agree with T_B_S... Although I do like A1.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:03:14 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks, Beer.  

ETA:  If more people would put an actual subject in the header, a search might be worth something to see if you are a 'duper.

True rather than "You won't belive this ..."

'Clear and concise thread titles' should be in the CoC.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:39:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

are you high or did you post the wrong link..

i will stand by that comment that Steak Sauce is a cover for cheap meat and shitty cooks.

High?

Hardly so and you are the one constantly posting about drinking and you may just need a little help, remember when you were locked for posting photos on the board?

I stood up for you then since I thought you were a good fellow and not arrogant as you are now.

You were rude and lofty as usual in that post.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:53:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Nope not with friggin jack booted dupe cop cyber thugs watching every move made 24x7 on one of my favorite forums.  Not everybody can stay on here around the clock - there are times when I might not be here for weeks on end.  "dupe" "dupity dupe dupe" and all the rest of the bullshit sucks.....It's fucking irritating...

I never understood why people get so angry when they do something stupid and you point it out to them.  They should be grateful for the lesson and try and learn from the experience.  But no.

For me the whole "Dupe" issue boils down to the name of this forum - "General Discussion."  It's not "General Forwarding and Reposting Every Stupid Hoax and Story that Pops Up in your Inbox or you saw on FreeRepublic, WorldNetDaily, or Bowers Board."  The key word here is "Discussion."

No one will ever sick the Dupe Police on you for posting your account of how your wife cheated on you with her lesbian girlfriend, how your AR blew up at the range shooting Wolf  ammo, your first Dinner Pic, or even your latest four-part drama using dolls action figures.  And the reason is this is your original material.  Your original words, original thoughts, original opinions, and original ideas.  Not the same over-recycled crap that makes the rounds on mailing lists and bulletin boards everywhere.

Unfortunately, there are hoards of people who have absolutely nothing intelligent or interesting to say, but they insist on posting anyway.  To them, intelligent typing consists of "Control-C" followed by "Control-V."  And these are the very same people who, after getting called on the 4th Dupe in the same week, will lash out at the guy who posted that one single word "Dupe" like they were commenting on their sister's virtue.  Hey, pal, sorry all your Cut&Paste effort was for naught, but instead of  reposting other peoples crap here, why don't your try and type out something you wrote for a change, if that won't cause your little brain to suffer a vapor lock, of course.

Quoted:
"DUPE" is a backhanded insult to the poster ie... "why are you posting this again..dumbass" Once the first person posts it, it's guaranteed the next 10+ posts will be "DUPE"

TBS is correct - "DUPE" is merely a more polite way of saying  "Hey, fucktard!!  Why don't you pull your head out of your ass long enough to think of something original to post next time instead of rehashing the same stupid shit as all the other fucktards before you!!" but something tells me the mods won't go for my version.  

Want to post, try something other than worn out stupidity.

TBS and I also agree here.  Once you get "DUPEd" once you should realize that you are not at the top of the Internet Food Chain and everything that you "discover" has already been seen here so you should not even bother to repost it.  If these people would follow this simple plan then the incidence of DUPEs would drop to near zero and there would be no hurt feelings.

I moderate a few private mailing lists, and on those the rule is "If you typed it, ok to post it.  But if you Cut&Pasted it, forget it."  It's that simple.  And there's no hoaxes and no dupes.  Just discussion.  Amazing, huh?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:58:32 PM EDT
[#24]
In the past 8 or so years I have never once posted "DUPE!

To all of the "DUPE! posters:

I fucking hate you.

Balming
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#25]
I'd like to give some insight, if I may about words here that have been overused:

I think that certain words here should be disallowed here.  I go to a certain board where the "+1+ and the "IBTL" are not tolerated.  Quoted from said board:

We ask the +1 or IBTL not be used here. We will warn habitual users of the +1 or IBTL, but if you continue to post in such a manner, the Staff will be forced to suspend your posting rights.

I think that people posting IBTL on every thread or even the +1 is a waste of bandwith.  It's dumb to post +1.  If you agree with something, than say so.  

So, good idea to banning +1's and IBTL's.

I wouldn't mind nuking the word DUPE.

If you're a team member, than search before you post.  If you're not a team member, check Active Topics.  If you still wish to post Dupe, at least provide a link.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:17:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I honestly didn't know this, everyone just calls dupe all the time.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:41:37 PM EDT
[#27]
The thing is...

A so called "Dupe" usually has new information and a different bend
towards the topic.

No complaints from me.

GM
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:43:19 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
The thing is...

A so called "Dupe" usually has new information and a different bend
towards the topic.

No complaints from me.

GM

Sometimes yes and sometimes no.  Usually yes.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top