[#3]
All that attention can't be good.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:27:04 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"We don't want you to get hurt."

My reply would have been "Is that meant as a threat???"

+1.  I was thinking the same thing.  Not a very professional thing to say.

- You guys are overly-sensative at times.  When I read the statement it certainly didnt come across as threatening.  I think the tone in which it is said would have more to do with determing if it was a threat or a true warning.  

Anyways, In my contacts with the ATf I havent seen anything but professionalism from them.  Hell, when we pulled over 100 guns from  a guy's business (convicted felon and other things going on) he wasnt even arrested on site.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:32:00 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]
It looks like someone forgot to cross their T's.....Seriously, I bet it was a paperwork mistake that the ATF decided to jump on.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:34:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Dang! Tagged for update.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:35:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#9]
damn
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:40:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
You shop for coffee at a gun store?

Dude! you don't know what you're missing! I used to work at a hardware/sporting goods store and we kept a 30 cup perculator going all day long. We drank a lot, and so did the regular stop-ins.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:41:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Could be something, could be nothing. Probably nothing, just the ATF doing what they do best

Hope it works out for them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:41:39 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- You guys are overly-sensative at times.  When I read the statement it certainly didnt come across as threatening.  I think the tone in which it is said would have more to do with determing if it was a threat or a true warning.  

Anyways, In my contacts with the ATf I havent seen anything but professionalism from them.  Hell, when we pulled over 100 guns from  a guy's business (convicted felon and other things going on) he wasnt even arrested on site.

Agreed, it all depends on how it was said.  It's tough to determine tone and context from a web posting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:50:18 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
You shop for coffee at a gun store?

I do at mine.  Yesterday, I bought a 7000 grain bag of hazelnut coffee.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:51:06 AM EDT
[#14]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:51:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They probably thought you were Joe Blo down the street, coming in to  fondle the  1022s....then again, you are!  They were trying to scare you as if you were Joe down the street, it is a GUN store after all, and there are GUNS in there. And they ARE dangerous.
Since when do they  race up and park right in front of the place they're raiding?  I could see if they were sneaking around the corners of the building, then it might get dangerous.
Sounds like how the mob might  come calling
[mobster] "beat it....they're closed today!"  [mobster]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I've got my sights on this thread
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
... I have practically lived in that store for 3 years.  I have spent more time behind the counter there than in front of it now.  I help out however and whenever I can.  The owner is a WWII vet and one of the greatest guys you would ever want to know.  I can't for the life of me think of anything that I have seen in my time there that would be illegal.  They do their best to follow the book as far as I know...

I understand how you feel.

There was a local gunshop where I grew up that became my "second home."  From before I could drive until I moved away for college (and whenever I returned) I spent three or more afternoons in that shop.  I learned all I could & the owner was infinitely patient with me handling firearms that I was still too young to buy.  I became friends with the owner and all who worked there.  They were Class III & would let me fire their used FAs and others in the "snail chamber" in the back of the shop (as long as I bought the ammo, of course).  I fired an MP5 and others before I ever bought my first gun on my own.  My first guns came from that store.

A few years after I moved away, I found out that the store had been shut down and the owner arrested.  Apparently, they had been selling untold guns "off the books" for years.  I guess the charges could have been "trumped up," but it certainly didn't sound like it.  I am a generally observant person & I never had a clue anything untoward was going on.

Please understand, I'm not saying that's the case with your friends, just that I can understand how you might feel...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:58:23 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:12:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
So not to have a raid without an arrest they claimed the SKS was his and since he had a record he couldn't be in possession of it and busted him for it.  The SKS was his wifes and was only in the house for protection.  The ATF didn't care.

Pretty much a case of cover your ass. Bust him for SOMTHING. ANYTHING, just so long as you can in order to justify the raid.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:15:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, so far so good...

Wait a minute...

They've infiltrated! And they're not very good at covering their tracks!

"I've never once met a cop who wasn't professional and courteous, so stop bashing JBT's. Why this one time we arrested a guy and only smacked him around for ten minutes before tossing him in the back of the car!"
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:15:06 AM EDT
[#21]
TAG
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Clearly, your friend is a dangerous criminal, as are you.  Thank God the ATF has disrupted your network and prevented any future threat to society.
<,sarcasm>

On a serious note, I hope your friend comes out of this OK, with no loss of freedom, health, or wealth.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:20:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
TAG

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:21:40 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Okay, so far so good...

Wait a minute...

They've infiltrated! And they're not very good at covering their tracks!

"I've never once met a cop who wasn't professional and courteous, so stop bashing JBT's. Why this one time we arrested a guy and only smacked him around for ten minutes before tossing him in the back of the car!"

lol

In all seriousness, the ATF supported us with equipment and manpower when our own Vice guys wouldn't act on the information we were giving them.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:22:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:23:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:27:17 AM EDT
[#27]
im from lexington.  never been to corbin, that i can remember.

hope it works out

that sucks having to change your morning routine
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:28:58 AM EDT
[#28]
I'm down in Alabama, local news this morning covered the raids referenced earlier. According to them they got guys for knowlingly selling guns to out of state and/or admitted felons. Also busted up the flea markets gun sales around here. Your friends might have been doing something you didn't know about. Good old country boy shows up, slow talking, fifteen year old truck, pregnant wife, needs a shotgun for home defense cause the neighbors in the trailer park won't keep their dogs put up. Lays down $100 for a worn out 12 ga Topper. When asked for ID he says that we just moved here last week, haven't had time to get a new license. But you can call the manager of the trailer park, you know, Bubba, he'll tell you. So you know Buba, says the seller, he's my cousin. Take the gun, son. Heres a couple of shells for it too. The desire to help added with money is a powerful motivator.  Busted. The only one that works better than that is the good looking young helpless female with a kid who's husband is in Iraq and there is a guy in the trailer park who won't leave her alone. Had to move cause he was sent off and she hasn't got license changed. Just needs a ssimple revolver. The ATF ID card flashed will pass for a military ID. Be careful.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:34:04 AM EDT
[#29]

4 BATFE agents in body armor

You have to respect anyone that still operates a gun shop.  We all complain about employees that don't know much about guns and complain about the prices, but the simple fact is that it takes guts now to be in a business that the ATF oversees.z
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#30]
www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/local/13766910.htm

Eleven charged with illegal gun sales at north Alabama markets
Associated Press

HUNTSVILLE, Ala. - A two-year undercover investigation into gun sales at north Alabama flea markets resulted in charges against 11 people and the seizure of about 560 weapons, authorities said Wednesday.

U.S. Attorney Alice Martin said the suspects were accused of running businesses that sold weapons without the proper license. Hobbyists can legally sell guns without a license, she said, but the 11 were making sales too frequently to be legal.

"These people who are operating every Saturday and Sunday and are selling hundreds of guns have gone beyond hobby," said Martin, who announced the arrests at a news conference.

Nine of the suspects are from Alabama, and two others were from Georgia and Tennessee.

Martin said undercover officers purchased 166 guns that were sold illegally at the Trade Day Flea Market in Collinsville; Taco-Bet Trade Day in Dutton; and a gun show in Birmingham.

Officers using hidden cameras made tapes of some of the sellers agreeing to gun transactions even after agents claimed to be fresh out of prison or from other states. Federal law prohibits convicted felons from possessing guns and bans crossing state lines to purchase guns, Martin said.

Most of the transactions involved handguns, including a small, .22-caliber pistol that can be hidden in a holster that resembles a wallet.

A grand jury indicted seven of the defendants, and prosecutors filed criminal informations, indicating plea deals, with four.

Records show the 11 purchased and sold guns that were subsequently recovered from crime scenes as far away as Detroit and Los Angeles. One of those guns was used in the attempted murder of a police office in Chicago, prosecutors said, and another was involved in a murder-for-hire scheme in New York.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Tagged...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:02:45 AM EDT
[#32]
tag

think the BATF is going reimburse your friend for loss of income?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:10:17 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
www.ledger-enquirer.com/mld/ledgerenquirer/news/local/13766910.htm

Eleven charged with illegal gun sales at north Alabama markets
Associated Press

Officers using hidden cameras made tapes of some of the sellers agreeing to gun transactions even after agents claimed to be fresh out of prison or from other states. Federal law prohibits convicted felons from possessing guns and bans crossing state lines to purchase guns, Martin said.

Most of the transactions involved handguns, including a small, .22-caliber pistol that can be hidden in a holster that resembles a wallet.

A grand jury indicted seven of the defendants, and prosecutors filed criminal informations, indicating plea deals, with four.

Records show the 11 purchased and sold guns that were subsequently recovered from crime scenes as far away as Detroit and Los Angeles. One of those guns was used in the attempted murder of a police office in Chicago, prosecutors said, and another was involved in a murder-for-hire scheme in New York.

BINGO!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:19:47 AM EDT
[#35]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:20:22 AM EDT
[#36]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:24:17 AM EDT
[#37]
tago-rama-ding-dong
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:34:52 AM EDT
[#38]
any updates?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:02:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:04:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Did anyone notice that the bust was in Alabama, not Kentucky?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:05:01 AM EDT
[#41]
What? You just came on a face of a man? EEEWWWW!!!!!TMI TMI TMI!!!
Oh, I read the title wrong.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:06:25 AM EDT
[#42]
tag for further info
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:28:04 AM EDT
[#43]
Tagged....

Sean
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#44]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#45]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:00:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Tag

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:09:44 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That reminds me of a funny story.  I pulled up to a DUI checkpoint and  the first officer talked with me as I sat in cue.  I told him I had a .357 tucked in the seat which someone could see if they looked.

He radioed that I had a gun ahead to the LEO who were actually doing the DUI checking and then told me not to panic when I got up to the front  (i.e., pull it out).   Like a smart ass, I ask him to tell that to the LEO up front, too.

He smirked, I smirked, and everything was fine.

To the thread originator: Find out what happened and mark the thread title UPDATED p.X  please.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:13:38 AM EDT
[#48]
tag
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:15:08 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
tag

Every time I see your name and avatar I keep thinking of you freezing your  butt off in some mountain pass.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:17:13 AM EDT
[#50]

------------

I'd like to see how this pans out too.....
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top