Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/2/2006 4:31:00 AM EDT
I think he needs to do some things to gain confidence, as all the speeches in the world are worthless without something to back them up.

"Let me put it to you in Texan: If al-Qaida is calling into the United States, we want to know," Bush said.

How about if we close the borders, and deport all the illegal aliens and people whose visas have run out. That would stop some terrorists from coming into the country along with getting rid of some that are here. Instead of giving 15000 more student visas with no oversight to Saudi Arabia, how about if we cut down how many they have and do sufficient background checks on them.

Economy: Close the borders and tariff trade good at an equal amount to what our goods are tariffed there. China pays minimal tariffs on goods they export to here (less then 3%) while American goods are at a 25% plus rate when they are exported to China. There are many unequal tariffs between the USA and other countries.

hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/B/BUSH?SITE=PAPOT&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2006-02-01-21-25-33

Bush Urges Confidence in His Leadership

By NEDRA PICKLER
Associated Press Writer

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- President Bush said Wednesday he understands why the nation he has led for five years has become more anxious, and he urged people to have confidence in him.
Bush maintained his optimistic message in a lengthy speech at the Grand Ole Opry House that was designed to build momentum from the previous night's State of the Union address. But in a rare acknowledgment of the troubled times on his watch, he tried to show empathy with the public's worries.

"People are uncertain, in spite of our strong union, because of war, and I understand that," Bush said.

Democrats are trying to capitalize at the ballot box this year on uncertainty about Bush's leadership and about ethics scandals in Congress.

Bush said he is leading a strong nation that is protecting itself and spreading freedom. He said the economy is "roaring," despite concerns that people have after being forced to change jobs in the face of competition from China, India and elsewhere.

"My worry is that people see that uncertainty and decide to adopt isolationist policies or protectionist policies," Bush said. "In other words, in uncertain times it's easy for people to lose confidence in the capacity of this country to lead and to shape our future."

Bush said America's challenge is to stay ahead of competition without withdrawing from the world. He planned to expand his thoughts on the issue in a tour to Minnesota, New Mexico and Texas on Thursday and Friday.

Bush's laid out his entire agenda in the 57-minute speech, going even beyond his State of the Union address. He touched on everything from war and education to technology in the automobile industry and medical malpractice suits.

Bush says he wants America to react the right way to the anxieties of war and a changing global economy.

The friendly audience at the packed Grand Ole Opry House frequently interrupted the president with applause and laughter. Among the crowd were several country music stars, including Barbara Mandrell, Larry Gatlin, Lee Greenwood, Lorrie Morgan and the Oak Ridge Boys.

Bush joked that he should have given the State of the Union at the hall. "How cool would it be to give a State of the Union address in a Porter Wagoner outfit?" he said, referencing the flashy singer who frequently played host on the stage.

Outside, more than 100 protesters held up their own signs that said "No Confidence" and "No warrant, no wiretap, no W." That was a reference to Bush's much-debated secret program of eavesdropping on phone calls and e-mails in an attempt to sniff out terrorist plots, which he vigorously defended in his State of the Union address and inside the concert hall.

"Let me put it to you in Texan: If al-Qaida is calling into the United States, we want to know," Bush said.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:33:16 AM EDT
He's always had my confidence, else I'd not have voted for him.

Doesn't mean I agree with him on everything, though.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:37:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 4:42:01 AM EDT by gaweidert]
Three sons in the military. They all have confidence in him. Good enough for me.

To me, one of his best traits is patience. Too many time in the past. we suffer a terrorist attact, posture a lot and then go back to normal. President Bush is staying the course. It's the one trait that OBL and the like didn't count upon. His pressure on them has been persistant and relentless. Not just fire a few cruise missiles at aspirin factories and empty camps, beat our chest and then move on to something else.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:39:00 AM EDT
Unwaivering confince.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:42:39 AM EDT
On most issues, yes. On a few others, I want to smack him upside the head and ask him what the hell he's thinking.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:43:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

I agree but I don't think thats the answer the topic author is looking for.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:44:30 AM EDT
i dunno. i feel betrayed and think he's turned into a wimp. he just seems to be floundering around and unwilling to do what needs to be done.

but i'd still vote for him over any dem. at least his needle still points in the right direction.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:45:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
On most issues, yes. On a few others, I want to smack him upside the head and ask him what the hell he's thinking.

+1

International relations fine. I disagree with the way the border is being handled and our trade deficit....
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:48:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By jrzy:

Oh, well.

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:50:01 AM EDT

+1
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:51:23 AM EDT
I had confidence in him the first time I voted for him and in his first term. My confidence in him has been greatly reduced in the last couple years as he has taken this "I know better than everyone else and I'm going to do things my way regardless of what the people and my base say". His tone changed a little in his State of the Union speech in that instead of trying to stuff his personal ideas down our throats it sounds like he is actually going to start listening to others and working with them. He hasn't accomplished much in the last year mainly because a lot of people on both sides of the isle weren't sold on his personal ideas. We'll just have to wait and see what he does.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:54:46 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:56:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HillBillySasquatch:

+1

International relations fine. I disagree with the way the border is being handled and our trade deficit....

Our trade deficit has been existant for over 40 years.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:00:09 AM EDT

Of course not.

But topic authors ought not to "look for answers". At least not in this GD.

President Bush has my confidence, always has.

I do not agree with him on 100% of the issues, but he is so far ahead of Gore or Kerry that I can't even see their lights in the rear view mirror.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:05:29 AM EDT

Not yet turning into the Bush bash he was hoping for.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:06:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:
I do not agree with him on 100% of the issues, but he is so far ahead of Gore or Kerry that I can't even see their lights in the rear view mirror.

Well, they ARE a bunch of dim bulbs, you know!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:09:25 AM EDT
As confident in his abilities to lead the nation as I was the first time I voted for him.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:14:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Old_Painless:

Of course not.

But topic authors ought not to "look for answers". At least not in this GD.

President Bush has my confidence, always has.

That about sums it up. I'm disappionted in his 2nd term thus far, but I hope the better ideas do get acted upon soon.

On foriegn policy..... 100%.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:18:14 AM EDT
I have confidence in his leadership capabilities, BUT, I have problems with his analytical and decision making skills. Charles.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:32:04 AM EDT
I regret the day I voted for Bush (the first term) and I haven't believed a word he's said since.

- rem
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:35:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 5:36:04 AM EDT by Old_Painless]

Originally Posted By remedy:
I regret the day I voted for Bush (the first term) and I haven't believed a word he's said since.

- rem

Looks like Dance finally got one.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:42:12 AM EDT

Bush Urges Confidence in His Leadership. Has he gained your confidence?

Well, the alternative would be John Kerry, the pseudo-friend of the gun-owner.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:42:17 AM EDT
If you didn't get a chance to see/hear him in Nashville yesterday, he was superb. He gets it--very well.

There isn't one person I can think of that I'd rather have as POTUS...GW is just fine by me.

HH
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:44:11 AM EDT
I'm confident that as long as he's President we'll continue to see a federal budget as bloated as Mr. Creosote just before the wafer-thin mint.

I'm confident that as long as he's President we'll continue to see an interventionist, nation building foreign policy.

I'm confident that as long as he's President we'll continue to see individual liberty sacrificed in the name of greater "security."

Yeah, I have great confidence in our Fearless Leader.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:45:35 AM EDT
Here they come!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:45:39 AM EDT

+1
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:48:06 AM EDT
Nope
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:51:15 AM EDT
Foreign policy, yes. Domestic policy, no.

But batting .500 is good, right?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:57:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By remedy:

- rem

Suuurrreeee, you voted for him.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:58:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JohnTheTexican:
I'm confident that as long as he's President we'll continue to see a federal budget as bloated as Mr. Creosote just before the wafer-thin mint.

I'm confident that as long as he's President we'll continue to see an interventionist, nation building foreign policy.

I'm confident that as long as he's President we'll continue to see individual liberty sacrificed in the name of greater "security."

Taken straight from the Dems talking points.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:59:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LARRYG:

I suppose Pat Buchannan is a Dem too.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:29:00 AM EDT

Nope, he is just a far right nutcase, which is about the same and just as bad. It IS difficult to tell the far right from the left. They sound so much alike.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:31:56 AM EDT
I believe Bush is a good leader. I'm not 100% behind him on the Patriot act yet but that's OK; you don't have to blindly follow anyone IMHO.

BTW Why do you guys pin the border situation on him so much? Keeripes, hasn't it been like that for decades???
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:33:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
I believe Bush is a good leader. I'm not 100% behind him on the Patriot act yet but that's OK; you don't have to blindly follow anyone IMHO.

BTW Why do you guys pin the border situation on him so much? Keeripes, hasn't it been like that for decades???

Don't bother pointing out facts. It might interfere with their insane ramblings.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:34:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 6:35:27 AM EDT by Tim84K10]

Read my mind.

Bush has never heard of fiscal responsiblity.

Not a dem here either, libertarian. Those of you that think that there is only a "left" and "right" in our political spectrum are ignorant and misinformed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:38:07 AM EDT

Nope, he is just a far right nutcase, which is about the same and just as bad. It IS difficult to tell the far right from the left. They sound so much alike.

Amen, shipmate.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:38:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim84K10:
Those of you that think that there is only a "left" and "right" in our political spectrum are ignorant and misinformed.

Well, there is also the "middle" which is where the spineless reside.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:46:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:51:37 AM EDT

There have been border problems for decades, but that still doesn't lessen that Bush has done nothing about it. What he does shows that he doesn't want anything done about it.

Things he has done that have made the problem worse:

1. He doesn't view it as a problem. During the State of the Union and other talks he has referenced how the USA needs immigrants (illegal aliens) for our economy and how they are good. I haven't heard him discuss the hundreds of billions lost yearly because of illegal aliens (medical, education, crimes, social programs, etc)

2. The only programs he puts forward and discusses are allowing more and more illegal aliens into the country as workers.

3. His staff includes people who want illegal immigrants kept here and not deported - undocumented but lawful immigrants.

4. He appoints people to head ICE that have no experience in the problems of illegal aliens, and are probably unfit for the post (similiar to Brown being put in charge of FEMA).

5. He and Vicente Fox are buddies and meet all the time, yet nothing about actually stopping illegal aliens comes out of these talks.

6. Mexican Military Incursions into the US and nothing has been done. Clinton didn't do anything, and Bush hasn't either.

7. Hypocritical: discussions about stopping terrorism in the US through Patriot Act and Foreign Wiretaps and how great it is going yet the Souther and Northern Border are wide open with many middle easterners and other possible terrorists crossing yearly.

Thats a few of the reasons why. He sets the whole tone for the debate of the problems of Illegal Aliens, and his tone is lacking.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:21:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Tim84K10:

Read my mind.

Bush has never heard of fiscal responsiblity.

Not a dem here either, libertarian. Those of you that think that there is only a "left" and "right" in our political spectrum are ignorant and misinformed.

Oh yeah, you who knows everything....................
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:41:45 AM EDT

I suppose it looks that way after you've had enough Koolaid.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:50:06 AM EDT
I have little confidence in Bush, or anyone else, to run the behemoth the government has become. Presidents are like helmsmen trying to steer the QEII with an oar. They come and they go, but two things remain constant- (1) layer upon layer of legislation/rules/orders/court decisions/blahblahblah from Congress and the Courts and (2) a meddling, ever expanding bureaucracy floundering this way and that in an attempt to enforce the will of Washington.

I'm confident this country can kick ass and spend money. That's about as far as it goes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:53:22 AM EDT

Don't bother pointing out facts. It might interfere with their insane ramblings.

Oh come on..... Damn. Perhaps it is the fact that until recently he has been unwilling to entertain any meaningful hardening of the border. Maybe it's the fact his administration characterized private people trying to actually help on the border as criminal and that they would look for any excuse to come down on them like a hammer. Maybe it was the "doing the jobs Americans wont do" comments.

Not doing anything is one thing, activily resisting those who would is quite another. Now, it does seem he's opening his ears a little these days so maybe this gets better in the next few years. But to act as though there is no room to call him out on this is silly.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:58:47 AM EDT

I suppose it looks that way after you've had enough Koolaid.

What a worn-out cliche, but I guess it works for those who have nothing intelligent to say.

BTW, I got your Koolaid dripping.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:01:19 AM EDT
Dance, you're such a fucking agent provocateur troll.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:09:44 AM EDT
Its starting to seem like hes just sand-bagging this presidency...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:17:28 AM EDT

Originally Posted By GonzoAR15-1:
Dance, you're such a fucking agent provocateur troll.

Nah, I'm a conservative.

I guess you don't have much to add but personal attacks?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:25:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Grunteled:

Oh come on..... Damn. Perhaps it is the fact that until recently he has been unwilling to entertain any meaningful hardening of the border. Maybe it's the fact his administration characterized private people trying to actually help on the border as criminal and that they would look for any excuse to come down on them like a hammer. Maybe it was the "doing the jobs Americans wont do" comments.

Not doing anything is one thing, activily resisting those who would is quite another. Now, it does seem he's opening his ears a little these days so maybe this gets better in the next few years. But to act as though there is no room to call him out on this is silly.

All I'm saying is that putting the current problems ONLY on the shoulders of the sitting President is a very Liberal debate tactic. Especially since they gave Billy Jeff a free pass with his two terms of neglecting some very important issues (terrorism being one big one, the borders another) and are now hammering Bush for not addressing it.

I'm sorry to have used the "L" word on you - and people who use the same tactic - but it's the truth.

FWIW I'm looking at the Patriot act and see there are provisions in there to protect the borders. Well, mainly the Northern border.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:40:21 AM EDT

All I'm saying is that putting the current problems ONLY on the shoulders of the sitting President is a very Liberal debate tactic. Especially since they gave Billy Jeff a free pass with his two terms of neglecting some very important issues (terrorism being one big one, the borders another) and are now hammering Bush for not addressing it.

I'm sorry to have used the "L" word on you - and people who use the same tactic - but it's the truth.

FWIW I'm looking at the Patriot act and see there are provisions in there to protect the borders. Well, mainly the Northern border.

The problem hasn't only been his, but he is the person in the Presidential Office now and the person able to do something about it. Clinton didn't do anything about it, Bush 1 did nothing, Reagan was the immunity deal, etc. That doesn't mean the current President shouldn't attempt to fix the problem.

At least come forth with some plan to close the borders, and catch + deport the illegal aliens that are here.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:42:44 AM EDT
I don't have a lot of confidence in him... BUT, he sure beats the hell out of Kerry being President.
~Dg84
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:43:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 10:46:10 AM EDT by 1Andy2]

Sadly, I think you're right.

eta: And I voted for him btw. I'll never vote Democrat, but I'll be damned if I vote for any more "compassionate conservatives."
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Top Top