Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/2/2006 12:57:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 2:05:04 AM EDT by vito113]
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:42:57 AM EDT
Pretty cool Vito, you gonna hang panniers on the mounts??
I had an old Bultaco Matador when i,lived in the Rockies, great place to ride. I have a Moto Guzzi V11 now, if i get another bike, i will look at the KLR 650 .
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:49:22 AM EDT
Thats nice!

I used to have a canam 400 and a 500. It took a long time to get used to kicking it with my left foot. I was the only one that could start the 500.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:56:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:01:22 AM EDT
Pretty Sweet! I loves me some old two-stroke iron! Never seen one of these, but from time to time we'll see the Harley Davidson military bikes (powered by a Rotax single).

I'm in the market for one of the HDT diesel converted KLR650's next year when they are more available. 102mpg and will burn any heavy fuel!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:05:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:10:36 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:55:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/2/2006 4:58:13 AM EDT by TheOtherDave]
www.dieselmotorcycles.com/models.htm

Right now they are selling some gucci-assed Limited Edition for like $18,000 but they have said the production bikes will be 20% more than a standard KLR650 or about $7k. They will sell bare motors too! Figure on next year for general availability.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:04:52 AM EDT
Pretty cool. When I was 14 or so, I had an old Elsinore 125 that I had made into a sort of survival bike. I looked at the bare frame and tucked little packs of stuff here and there with nylon zipties.Matches,flashlight,kept a tarp strapped to the seat with bungee cords. That kind of stuff. I'll probably have something like that again that is a little more up to date.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:24:55 AM EDT
It'll be interesting to see what the company does to improve the KLR's dirt worthyness. I know they have a shock they make in-house for it, but other than that? The KLR as it's delivered from Kawasaki is a very competent motorcycle by most accounts but is more street oriented than competent in the dirt. Part of this is the DOT knobbies, but a lot of it is the weight. Freeway travelling motorcycles don't usually do well off road.

With only 33hp, you won't be going anywhere fast, but the power delivery will mean little clutch work on trails. Proably be a great bike if your idea of aventure touring means getting there at 70mph or less-top speed is 90mph, and it will be huffing to get there.

One of the cool points with this bike for me is that it has no brain being mechanically injected. This means that the thing is EMP-proof. The company plans on offering EFI on the bike at a later time to boost power but I'd rather not have it. People that have heard the bike say it's whisper quiet, another big plus. It does have electric start-I'm a scrawny little fucker, can't say I'd be able to kick a high compression diesel over if I had to!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:27:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vito113:

Originally Posted By TheOtherDave:
Pretty Sweet! I loves me some old two-stroke iron! Never seen one of these, but from time to time we'll see the Harley Davidson military bikes (powered by a Rotax single).

I'm in the market for one of the HDT diesel converted KLR650's next year when they are more available. 102mpg and will burn any heavy fuel!

These were replaced by the HD350's a while back. IIRC, only the USMC used the Can-Ams which also have a Rotax engine. Our .Mil is testing a new diesel powered bike now, I can't take to that idea. Two wheels and diesel just sounds wrong!

ANdy

I think your military is using the same bike as ours-in fact, the engine was designed in England. Can't remember if it was at a univeristy, technical school or what. It'll be on HDT's site.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:30:24 AM EDT
Back in the day, CanAms were great enduro bikes.
Top Top