Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 9:28:23 PM EDT
Bruce Willis movie "Last Man Standing" ripped off the beginning of what older movie?

There was an old movie that was on recently

As I was watching the beginning, I noticed that it was almost a scene for scene
line by line copy of the beginning of "Last Man Standing" what old movie was it?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:40:19 PM EDT
[#1]

Isn't "Last man standing" the remake of Akira Kurosawa's "Yojimbo"?

... or am I thinking of another Bruce Willis movie?  

In any event, Yojimbo is one of the best movies EVER made.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#2]
A Fistful of Dollars

Edit A Fistful of Dollars is a remake of Yojimbo so both
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Last Man Standing is a remake (not just the beginning) of Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo… A Fistful of Dollars was the first remake of Yojimbo.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't a clue.
But I'm going to tag for movie trivia.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:42:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Bruce Willis movie "Last Man Standing" ripped off the beginning of what older movie?

There was an old movie that was on recently

As I was watching the beginning, I noticed that it was almost a scene for scene
line by line copy of the beginning of "Last Man Standing" what old movie was it?

I don't know, but i'd absolutely love to know where in the hell he kept producing all those magazines from. And I shudder to guess.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A Fistful of Dollars

We have a winner

eta: approx 12 minutes, damn
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:47:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
A Fistful of Dollars

We have a winner

I demand a recount !!  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A Fistful of Dollars

We have a winner

I demand a recount !!  

Sorry, I am not familiar with "Yojimbo" but, thanks for playing

I'll try to make it more difficult next time
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:52:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A Fistful of Dollars

We have a winner

I demand a recount !!  

if you have the patience for the subtitles, you should totally watch Yojimbo - it is a masterpiece.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A Fistful of Dollars

We have a winner

I demand a recount !!  

if you have the patience for the subtitles, you should totally watch Yojimbo - it is a masterpiece.

Definitely planning to check it out

This says Yohimbo ripped off an earlier book
www.imdb.com/title/tt0055630/
Akira Kurosawa's Yojimbo is a not too long, not too short action film that uses its action with just the right touches of voracity and excitement, and in the backdrop is also a sense of humor to the process. If I had to recommend a Kurosawa film to someone who's never seen one before (and might be impatient to sit through the three and a half hour Seven Samurai, or might not get the non-linear structure of Rashomon), I'd put this one in their hands to try out.

Kurosawa regular Toshiro Mifune is terrific as Sanjuro Kuwabatake, a drifter of a samurai who stumbles upon a town with an assorted cast of characters, with a split between two gangs. One of the gangsters, Unosuke (Nakadai), is the only one in town; it seems, with a gun. At first Sanjuro plays each side, but when he gets beaten roughly by whom he was "protecting", he realizes the fun's over, and it's time to fight back.

Much has been made about how Sergio Leone took Kurosawa's story and characters (most in particular being a rogue from out of town) and made them into his breakthrough Fistful of Dollars- Kurosawa even sued Leone over the story rights. But to those who wonder whether Yojimbo is 'better' than Fistful or vice versa need to remember one of two things- Kurosawa took the story from Dashiell Hammett's gangster novel Red Desert, so neither filmmaker is making something really original; and that since each film is made in a different continent, and with the slightest different sensibilities about its characters. For one thing in Yojimbo guns are scarcer than in Fistful, and there's a treatment Kurosawa has with his actors that sets it apart from the small town western scope of Leone's weapons and actors. So each film (noticeably) carries its own kind of visual style while working in a similar plot structure. In other words, it's kind of like comparing apples and oranges picked in the same farm (if that makes at all sense).

Overall, Yojimbo on its own is a lean, cool Japanese crime/action film, helmed by a master, and featuring a number of highlights to look forward to on multiple viewings. Some of those include: the scene inside Seibei's brothel (with the women dancing and singing), Masaru Sato's wonderful musical orchestrations, Mifune's curiously low-key and rough performance (which did and didn't serve as inspiration to Clint), and a climax that is up there with one of Kurosawa's finest battles. A+
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
A Fistful of Dollars

We have a winner

I demand a recount !!  

You won too DK. I came in second place
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:15:24 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Isn't "Last man standing" the remake of Akira Kurosawa's "Yojimbo"?

... or am I thinking of another Bruce Willis movie?  

In any event, Yojimbo is one of the best movies EVER made.  

Right behind Sanjuro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top