[#1]
No shit.  That's a thud.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
not cool at all!

bummer
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#3]

"The pilot was not able to effectuate control, because it occurred when he was too low in proximity to the ground. If he had another 4,000 or 5,000 feet, maybe he could have regained control and zoomed out of it," Hoff said.

"zoomed" out of it?!?!?!   and this guy is supposed to be a flight instructor?   I wonder if he taught the poor pilot?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Geez, I occasionally stay at a hotel on Milwaukee Ave. right by that airport.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:59:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I saw the video, probably from a stall at landing, maybe ice was a factor

This has got to be the worst way to go

My dad has 20,000 hours in small planes and he is actually pissed at this point that he hasn't bought it yet. Mad now that he is old and almost 60( been flying for 40 something years) and hasn't died doing what he loves to do Sounds jaded but you'd have to know the guy to understand, he thinks it would be the best way to go, he's still in good health so I don't have to worry yet. If he ever had a terminal condition I have no doubt he would suddenly have an "accident" to go out the way he wants to.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Looks like a Cessna 340.   If so, there's a real good chance of a structural failure involved.   We had two of them to maintain and they simply didn't age well.   Both should have been in junkyards ten years ago.

Both had severe corrosion in the engine mounts and the structure they attach to, as well as severe cracking in the wing structure, near the landing gear attach areas.

That is one model I won't fly in.

I don't think that is a bad way to go.    Quick, and no physical pain.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#7]
That won't buff out.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#8]

Another brother lost...it's a sad day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:23:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
My dad has 20,000 hours in small planes and he is actually pissed at this point that he hasn't bought it yet. Mad now that he is old and almost 60( been flying for 40 something years) and hasn't died doing what he loves to do Sounds jaded but you'd have to know the guy to understand,

Apparently you have to know someone to understand anger issues about not being dead yet.

I hope it never dawns on him that he is, while flying, holding onto a little stick that could easily point the entire apparatus - pilot included - right into the ground at a high rate of speed. I mean, if he's got a death wish, this factoid should be completely self-evident.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My dad has 20,000 hours in small planes and he is actually pissed at this point that he hasn't bought it yet. Mad now that he is old and almost 60( been flying for 40 something years) and hasn't died doing what he loves to do Sounds jaded but you'd have to know the guy to understand,

Apparently you have to know someone to understand anger issues about not being dead yet.

I hope it never dawns on him that he is, while flying, holding onto a little stick that could easily point the entire apparatus - pilot included - right into the ground at a high rate of speed. I mean, if he's got a death wish, this factoid should be completely self-evident.

Stop being so serious, that just came out wrong, I am going hunting with him all weekend, he likes life Just meant it that he started out flying Bi-planes and has had Bonanzas, Citabria, Cubs, Aerostar, and an assortment of Piper's over the recent years. What I meant to say was the guy just would rather die flying than anything else. He didn't figure he would live as long as he has doing what he does. If it happened that way he would be happy with it, as many close calls as he has had(I was there for a few, landing gear not coming down, oil pumps failed, turbo failures) you fly for long enough, mechanical failures will happen.

Don't see the evil in accepting that what you do is dangerous and being completely content with the potential outcome or almost hoping that you go out doing something that has defined your life.

ETA: I still gotta build one of your bumpfire devices there Swingset, I've got the jigsaw and plywood, maybe some video will materialize from this weekend
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:12:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:13:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Poor bastard. At least it went quick.

And to gripe about the asshat instructor they had quoted in the story...

"But Hoff, who is also a pilot and flight instructor, says many factors can cause a wing stall. Among them -- ice on the wing, weight turbulence or imbalance, structural failure, a mechanical problem or even pilot error."

Only ONE fucking thing causes a stall. Exceeding the critical angle of attack of the wing. Period. It will be blamed on the pilot, it always is. Weather? nope, shouldnt have been flying. Mechanical Failure? Nope, shouldnt have flown it. Its always our fault. Hell, the FAR lets us know that.

A spin, which the aircraft appears to be in, or recovering from, is simply an uncoordinated stall.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:19:19 AM EDT
[#13]
funny how a guy from oklahoma is posting this.  it didnt get that much coverage here.  i drive on the road right next to this airport several time a week.  pilots there dont have too much room for error with takeoffs or landings.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:51:33 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Stop being so serious, that just came out wrong, I am going hunting with him all weekend, he likes life Just meant it that he started out flying Bi-planes and has had Bonanzas, Citabria, Cubs, Aerostar, and an assortment of Piper's over the recent years. What I meant to say was the guy just would rather die flying than anything else. He didn't figure he would live as long as he has doing what he does. If it happened that way he would be happy with it, as many close calls as he has had(I was there for a few, landing gear not coming down, oil pumps failed, turbo failures) you fly for long enough, mechanical failures will happen.

Don't see the evil in accepting that what you do is dangerous and being completely content with the potential outcome or almost hoping that you go out doing something that has defined your life.

ETA: I still gotta build one of your bumpfire devices there Swingset, I've got the jigsaw and plywood, maybe some video will materialize from this weekend

Sorry, I forgot to put the after my post.

I'm not serious about anything, other than not dying in plane crashes.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:05:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
funny how a guy from oklahoma is posting this.  it didnt get that much coverage here.  i drive on the road right next to this airport several time a week.  pilots there dont have too much room for error with takeoffs or landings.

Our local stations were playing the vid quite a few times yesterday
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top