Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/1/2006 6:12:47 PM EDT
Licensing and Registration National Poll Fact Sheet

National survey of 1000 registered voters conducted May 15-21, 2001. Margin of error +/- 3.1%.

General Findings

54% think current gun control laws are not strict enough, 29% think they are about right, and 12% think they are too strict.

59% favor passing stricter national gun control laws.

Support for Licensing, Registration, and Background Checks Among Registered Voters

85% of registered voters favor requiring a license before a handgun is purchased.

83% of registered voters favor registration of all new handguns purchased.

92% of registered voters favor criminal background checks for all handgun purchases. (Asked of a split sample of 500 respondents.)

Support for Licensing, Registration, and Background Checks Among Gun Owners

73% of gun owners favor requiring a license before a handgun is purchased.

72% of gun owners favor requiring gun owners to register their newly-purchased weapons.

86% of gun owners favor criminal background checks for all handgun purchases. (Asked of a split sample of 500 respondents.)

Support for Licensing, Registration, and Background Checks Among NRA Supporters

66% of self-described NRA supporters favor handgun owner licensing

65% of self-described NRA supporters favor handgun registration

82% of self-described NRA supporters favor criminal background checks for all handgun purchases. (Asked of a split sample of 352 NRA supporters.)

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:13:51 PM EDT
who conducted this poll?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:14:00 PM EDT
Hahaha.. 1k people somehow represent almost 300 million? Laughable.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:14:17 PM EDT
Bullshit.

Next thread....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:14:37 PM EDT
Horwtiz and Co.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:15:00 PM EDT
1000 people poll?

I think not. Screw gun control.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:15:11 PM EDT
i call bullshit on all of it. just more skewed reults from the anti-gun lobby. they're grasping at straws now that they've noticed more support for gun rights...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:15:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 6:15:38 PM EDT by leelaw]
National survey of 1000 voters?

Where did they call, CA, NY, Mass, Shitcago and D.C.?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:17:54 PM EDT
A national survey of go3 finds the majority support shooting people who support gun control.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:18:02 PM EDT
Where the fuck was this survey conducted, Than Franthisco?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:18:44 PM EDT
don't do anything crazy like provide an actual link to the story.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:19:07 PM EDT
98% of those polled have never worked for .gov, and did not realize maintaining such a registration would be IMPOSSIBLE!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:20:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By falaholic1:
Hahaha.. 1k people somehow represent almost 300 million? Laughable.

Pick your county.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:20:49 PM EDT
Please note this was conducted five years ago....carry on...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:22:17 PM EDT
I see no reason not to believe it.

Most Americans are afraid of guns. It's a sad fact.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:22:17 PM EDT
It's probably true, most people are stupid.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:23:47 PM EDT
New Poll Finds American Voters Overwhelmingly Support Handgun Licensing and Registration, Criminal Background Checks

Vast majority of registered voters - including gun owners and NRA supporters - strongly supports gun measures

(Washington, DC) - A comprehensive nationwide survey released today, June 12, 2001, found that more than 80% of registered voters support licensing handgun owners and registering handguns, and fully 92% favor criminal background checks for all handgun purchases - a critical component of a strong licensing system. The survey of 1000 registered voters was conducted by the respected polling firm Lake, Snell, Perry, and Associates May 15-21, 2001 and has a margin of error of +/- 3.1%.

Also reported in this poll were attitudes of National Rifle Association (NRA) supporters toward specific new gun law proposals. The poll found that three quarters of NRA supporters favor measures such as licensing and registration.

"Americans overwhelmingly support common sense policies like licensing and registration and universal criminal background checks to stop the transfer of handguns to criminals and youth," said Joshua Horwitz, Executive Director of the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence, the nonprofit educational charity that commissioned the poll. "Congress is currently considering legislation to close the gun show loophole by conducting criminal background checks at gun shows. Our poll indicates that the public wants all loopholes closed through a system of licensing and registration - a system that would mandate criminal background checks on all sales."

Key Findings

Key findings from the poll included:

85% of registered voters - and 73% of gun owners - favor requiring prospective gun owners to obtain a license before buying a handgun.

83% of the registered voters - and 72% of gun owners - favor requiring gun owners to register their newly purchased handguns.

92% of the registered voters - and 86% of gun owners - favor criminal background checks for all handgun purchases, a key component of a licensing and registration system. (Asked of a split sample of 500 respondents.)

The new poll found slightly higher public support for licensing and registration than other, recent national gun policy polls. A Gallup Poll conducted in October 2000, for example, found that 72 percent of Americans favored both licensing and registration for new handgun purchases.

NRA Supporters Also Support New Gun Laws

The poll also examined the attitudes of citizens who said they supported the National Rifle Association, who made up 35.2% of the sample. The results appear to contradict the rhetoric of that organization's leadership:

66% of NRA supporters favor handgun owner licensing.

65% of NRA supporters favor handgun registration.

82% of NRA supporters favor universal background checks for all handgun purchases. (Asked of a split sample of 352 NRA supporters.)

"This poll shows that common sense measures like licensing and registration are universally popular - even among those who support the National Rifle Association," said Horwitz. "This historic poll confirms what we've always known: the NRA is woefully out of touch not only with voters, but with its traditional supporters as well."

Most Think Licensing and Registration Already Exist

Surprisingly, 70% of registered voters mistakenly believe that a system of licensing and registration already exists. However, only five states - New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and Hawaii - require some form of licensing and registration of handguns or its equivalent.

"Perhaps people believe the NRA leadership's 'enforce existing laws' slogan because they think tough laws like licensing and registration already exist," said Horwitz. "But the reality is that handgun licensing and registration laws - laws that could significantly dry up the pool of guns falling into criminal hands - do not exist in our country."

Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-CA) and Rep. Martin Meehan (D-MA) have introduced legislation in the current Congress to create a nationwide licensing and registration system.

At the state level, two strong handgun licensing bills are successfully making their way through the California state legislature. Licensing bills have also been introduced in the Indiana and Florida state legislatures.

About Licensing and Registration

Licensing is designed to ensure that every handgun buyer - not just those who buy guns at a gun store - undergoes a criminal background check, and is trained on safe gun use. Registration promotes responsibility among handgun owners and assists law enforcement in tracking down guns that are sold or used illegally.

Licensing and registration would work a lot like the system we now use to license drivers and register automobiles.

Licensing would require handgun purchasers to pass a basic safety course and undergo a background check to make sure they are not underage, a violent criminal or mentally ill.

Registration would make the legal owner of a gun responsible for its safe use and transfer to another owner, dramatically reducing the flow of guns from the legal to criminal market.

Registration would also help police track weapons that are passed on to another person in a criminal or negligent way, including "straw" purchases where a legal buyer purchases guns on behalf of someone prohibited from owning them.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:24:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 6:25:58 PM EDT by 7]
My poll says 95% of all people are stupid. In addition to that I'm pretty sure 95% of everyone on here agrees with me.

Haha TheFreepster... Guess I was too late to say this, you beat me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:24:51 PM EDT
1000 can be a completely adequate sample size for the us pop.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:27:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By fossil_fuel:
who conducted this poll?

No shit! I was never polled! So, how can Majority of Americans be for this shit when not all Americans were polled??
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:31:42 PM EDT
And that's why we have a Constitutional Republic with protections against "True Democracy" (that is 50%+1 decides "what's best" for the other 49.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%­).
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:35:42 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Red_Beard:

Well, maybe, but it would definitely need to be representative.

There is no way in hell that those numbers were generated from a representative sample, because if they were, gun control would be on the front page every day and the subject of water cooler discussions every day.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:39:21 PM EDT

According to the maths heads, it can be, as long as it's a 'fair' sample. It does sound counter-intuitive, but apparently such statistics can be quite accurate, even with what to the uninitiated seems like stupidly low number.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:40:36 PM EDT
"Lies, dammed lies, statistics"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:42:17 PM EDT
Yeah, I've been called by some of these "pollsters". Usually they are a front for the Democratic party and the wording of their questions makes you feel like a retarded cretin if you don't give them the "obvious" answer.

I pissed one off cause I kept saying I would never vote for Gore. They kept asking why and I kept saying Gun Control. lol

When they asked why it was more important to me how a canditate stood on guns I said because "if he thinks the American people can't be trusted to own weapons, the American people shouldn't trust him!"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:44:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Well, maybe, but it would definitely need to be representative.

There is no way in hell that those numbers were generated from a representative sample, because if they were, gun control would be on the front page every day and the subject of water cooler discussions every day.

Yep, pretty easy for someone running one of these things to skew things however they want.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:47:34 PM EDT

Originally Posted By leelaw:
National survey of 1000 voters?

Where did they call, CA, NY, Mass, Shitcago and D.C.?

Bingo!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:20:46 PM EDT
This poll was conducted at 1400 hrs on a weekday.....

while all of the Pro-Gun voters were out working to support the idiots that were sitting at home on their asses taking this poll.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:28:14 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:36:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
And that's why we have a Constitutional Republic with protections against "True Democracy" (that is 50%+1 decides "what's best" for the other 49.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999%­).

Exactly, sadly today we think is best to give every idiot that finds a way to reach the golden age of 18 the right to vote.

We MUST protect against the tyranny of the majority...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:39:58 PM EDT

It's more the way the questions are asked ...and which questions...that's where the art is..
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:40:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CRC:
Horwtiz and Co.

Who are they?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:42:45 PM EDT
Josh Horwtiz noted anti-gunner
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:55:27 PM EDT
Comprehensive?

I'd be interested in seeing the questions, too. That is a huge problem in our poll-driven news today, no accountability for the way the poll is conducted. And the general citizen simply doesn't understand statistics in any way.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:02:43 PM EDT
Support for Licensing, Registration, and Background Checks Among Gun Owners

73% of gun owners favor requiring a license before a handgun is purchased.

72% of gun owners favor requiring gun owners to register their newly-purchased weapons.

86% of gun owners favor criminal background checks for all handgun purchases. (Asked of a split sample of 500 respondents.)

Support for Licensing, Registration, and Background Checks Among NRA Supporters

66% of self-described NRA supporters favor handgun owner licensing

65% of self-described NRA supporters favor handgun registration

82% of self-described NRA supporters favor criminal background checks for all handgun purchases. (Asked of a split sample of 352 NRA supporters.)

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:04:32 PM EDT
Never under estimate the power of idiots in large groups!

...and obviously the pollee's are idiots
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:08:43 PM EDT
Reality does not matter, only perception does.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:12:18 PM EDT
Um ... am I the only one thinking that it would be a great idea to run a similar poll ... Either at the local firing range, or gun shop.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:12:45 PM EDT
I do not support gun control...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bastiat:
don't do anything crazy like provide an actual link to the story.

/\
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:30 PM EDT
Celinda Lake does polling for various Democratic organizations. She focuses polls on women and children. They also do polling at Democratic events. VPC loves her work. She may go to a teachers conference, take a poll, and release it as a study.

Celinda Lake is a high level DNC strategist.

Don't know who did that poll, but it sounds like her or one of her ilk.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:14:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By nightstalker:

It's more the way the questions are asked ...and which questions...that's where the art is..

"Would you rather see national gun registration or have me light your children on fire?"

"Uh... National gun registration?"

"Excellent, excellent. Would you rather see handguns banned entirely or have me chop off your penis with a rusted spoon?"

"Uh..."
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:36:46 PM EDT
The majority of idiots American people already believe that you have to register a handgun. My buddy who's an FFL gets a call at least once a week asking where they need to register their gun and some of them argue with her about it, insisting that it's illegal to have an unregistered handgun. My wife swore up and down that you had to, it took me a long time to convince her otherwise. Don't worry, I mentioned that California had banned .50 rifles and she said,"Why don't we have one yet?" Don't worry there is hope!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:41:36 PM EDT

Alright, lets set up a poll and get the first 1,00 ARFCOM members to answer it.

Hey, we're from everywhere in the country, it's diverse, right?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:31:41 PM EDT

... A comprehensive nationwide survey released today, June 12, 2001,

... said Joshua Horwitz, Executive Director of the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence, the nonprofit educational charity that commissioned the poll. ...

Nothing to see here folks. Just move along.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:57:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By 199:

... A comprehensive nationwide survey released today, June 12, 2001,

... said Joshua Horwitz, Executive Director of the Educational Fund to Stop Gun Violence, the nonprofit educational charity that commissioned the poll. ...

Nothing to see here folks. Just move along.

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:58:36 PM EDT
Riiiiiiight, and 53% of kids don't graduate high-school
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:07:27 PM EDT
1000 can be a representative sample size IF it is taken in a completly random fashion (SRS), which I highly doubt was done in this case.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:18:00 PM EDT
87 % of polls are made up.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:21:56 PM EDT
Just a little dated....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:31:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

There are times when it is in the paper every day in some form.

I believe its fairly representative, and I've said thats the general attitude amongst the population. Those of you who only hang out with other shooters just don't realize it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top