Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:57:54 PM EDT
I am in the process of applying for my FFL. What is the average markup on a gun that you would buy in the store? I am trying to determine if having an FFL will save me on my personal gun purchases.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:10:19 PM EDT
Current FFL laws state you must have a "storefront business", i.e. separate from your home. The old days of casual hobbyist FFL dealers are long gone, sadly.

Having said that, most dealers attempt to make 10-25% on the gun, usually on the lower end, as far as I know.

Rare is a rich gun dealer, by the way.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:14:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By BobCole:
Current FFL laws state you must have a "storefront business", i.e. separate from your home. The old days of casual hobbyist FFL dealers are long gone, sadly.

My .o2

No, they don't, and no, they're not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:21:45 PM EDT
This is another one of those trick questions isn't it ??

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:22:24 PM EDT

Somebody clear this up , please .
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:24:35 PM EDT
In the old days you could just apply for a FFL pay a small fee get one and do it for a hobby. A lot of guys did it to get wholesale on their private guns from distrubutors. Those days are long gone.

They need a place of business or storefront the ATF can come and visit. Also if I am not mistaken you need to have a certain number of sales in a time period to show you are in business.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:26:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 5:27:52 PM EDT by phylodog]
BATFE requires that you have a legitimate business that requires an FFL. They do not require a "storefront". BATFE also requires that you comply with all local, and state laws in regards to this business. The largest problem most have is with zoning when trying to start a home business, if it doesn't comply with zoning, you won't receive an FFL. You also will not obtain an FFL for adding to your personal collection or for selling guns at gunshows only.

You can also have an FFL for gunsmithing purposes, no reported sales are required to renew as long as you can show that you have been doing business as a gunsmith.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:33:09 PM EDT
All I saw on the application package I received was that the ATF does not want you to apply for an FFL unless you intend to operate a for-profit business selling guns. If you say you want an FFL simply for the purposes of collecting it will be denied.

Other than that you need a "place of business". I.E. an address where your business is located, and you need to comply with all state and local laws applicable to running your gun business. There is no rule saying you can't have a gun dealership based in your home.

The biggest drawback to this is if you list your business' premises as your home you give the ATF permission to enter your home and inspect your "business" anytime they wish under the provisions of federal law, which is once a year if they don't have reason to suspect illegal activity.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:42:47 PM EDT
Thanks for the replies. I do have a dedicated store front that is open normal business hours, I do intend to sell firearms to other people besides myself. Being an avid collector myself, I was just curious if cost savings was one of the upsides to having an FFL.

I will most likely do 5-10 tranactions a month.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:41:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By GODAWGS:
Thanks for the replies. I do have a dedicated store front that is open normal business hours, I do intend to sell firearms to other people besides myself. Being an avid collector myself, I was just curious if cost savings was one of the upsides to having an FFL.

I will most likely do 5-10 tranactions a month.

Based on this, you should be in good shape, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:44:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By phylodog:
BATFE requires that you have a legitimate business that requires an FFL. They do not require a "storefront". BATFE also requires that you comply with all local, and state laws in regards to this business. The largest problem most have is with zoning when trying to start a home business, if it doesn't comply with zoning, you won't receive an FFL. You also will not obtain an FFL for adding to your personal collection or for selling guns at gunshows only.

You can also have an FFL for gunsmithing purposes, no reported sales are required to renew as long as you can show that you have been doing business as a gunsmith.

Exactly right.....legitimate business being the key word. And also zoning in your community
Top Top