Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 4:51:24 PM EDT
www.masslive.com/metrowest/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1138784232257840.xml&coll=1
Real firepower on streets
Wednesday, February 01, 2006
By PATRICK JOHNSON
[email protected]
SPRINGFIELD - The first five bullets from the AK-47, delivered in two short bursts, tore through the metal of the U.S. Postal Service mailbox.

The remaining 70 shots in the 75-round clip fired in one continuous spray turned a bullet-proof vest into Swiss cheese.

"I went through it in what, five seconds?" said Springfield police officer Sean Sullivan of the empty and now smoking rifle.

During a demonstration for the press in the basement shooting range at police headquarters, Sullivan showed what an assault rifle, illegally converted into a machine gun capable of firing as many as 400 rounds per minute, can do.

"It's a scary weapon to face, and scary knowing there are people out there who have them," said Sullivan, a member of the police Street Crimes Unit.

That particular weapon, said Sgt. John Delaney, "was out on the streets five days ago in the hands of a drug dealer."

It was one of 13 guns confiscated by police over the past few days, he said.

In addition, police also seized a semiautomatic AK-47, a semiautomatic M-16 and a Thompson submachine gun, and several semiautomatic pistols and revolvers.

So far this year, confiscations number 21, compared to three in January 2005.

In 2005, police confiscated 151 handguns, rifles and shotguns.

Despite the emphasis on getting illegal weapons off the streets, "Guns, drugs and gangs continue to be a problem," said acting Police Commissioner William J. Fitchet.

"The firepower has enormous potential for danger. It's what police officers face every day," he said. "In some cases, police officers are out-gunned by these weapons."

Fitchet pledged that anyone found with an illegal gun or using a gun in the commission of a crime will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

Shooting range master Joseph Lech said a bullet fired from an AK-47 cannot only go right through a metal mailbox, it can perforate "both sides" of the standard police-issue protective vest.

"It pierces, goes through the officer, and pierces the back," he said.

Sullivan said when members of the Street Crime Unit seized the fully automatic AK-47 during a drug raid, its owner had a 75-round clip, plus two 30-round and two 20-round clips.

"That's more ammunition than the regular soldier carries in combat," he said, still holding the weapon in his hands.

"Unfortunately, it is not the only one out there," he said.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:55:20 PM EDT
[#1]
They really need to make a law against these illegal guns.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Sullivan said when members of the Street Crime Unit seized the fully automatic AK-47 during a drug raid, its owner had a 75-round clip, plus two 30-round and two 20-round clips.

"That's more ammunition than the regular soldier carries in combat," he said, still holding the weapon in his hands.

bullshit minimum would be 210rds everybody carries more
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats the point of this post ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:57:32 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
... illegally converted into a machine gun capable of firing as many as 400 rounds per minute, can do...

that's some fast mag changing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:59:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Masshole cops
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

that the media loves to make shiite up?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:01:28 PM EDT
[#7]
WTF.

This paper is called "The Republican"
Massachusetts really is a shithole ain't it?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:01:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Maybe during the Spanish American War!  These people would shit if they knew half of what most of us have.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh yeah and Mass has an assualt weapons ban from 1998.

It must be working..........
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Idiots abound, unfortuneately it just shows more when its a cop.  Relax, he does not speak for all of them.  Still, he is gay.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]
This is BULLSHIT.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:02:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You'd almost think this was firearms board or something
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:04:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Isn't vandalizing a U.S. Postal Service mailbox a federal offense?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:05:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Sullivan needs a less stressful job. Like working in a post office.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know they made 75 round strippers....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#16]
My Ruger 10/22 will pierce both sides of TWO mailboxes!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Isn't vandalizing a U.S. Postal Service mailbox a federal offense?

YES! Which is why someone needs to report this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe during the Spanish American War!  These people would shit if they knew half of what most of us have.

LOL. True, and i haven't owned any guns at all ever, except for the past 3 months.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Glad to see the MA assault weapons ban is working.
oh wait...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:39:33 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

To see how many technical inaccuracies you can find:

AK-47

75-round clip

an assault rifle, illegally converted into a machine gun

a semiautomatic AK-47

semiautomatic M-16

etc.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:48:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

...but will it go through a loaf of bread?

HH
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Lies, lies, lies.  Everybody knows criminals are not allowed to have guns!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

...but will it go through a loaf of bread?

HH

No, nothing short of a .50BMG will penetrate a loaf of bread.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:51:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm the only one here professional enough to load an AK-47 with clips.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To see how many technical inaccuracies you can find:

AK-47

75-round clip

an assault rifle, illegally converted into a machine gun

a semiautomatic AK-47

semiautomatic M-16

etc.

Who cares, it looks scary and makes me want to protectivly hug my child.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:55:57 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm the only one here professional enough to load an AK-47 with clips.

So your carrying around a SKS then?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#27]
BUT DID THEY ARREST THE BAD GUYS???? How long will they be in jail? Not a word. Seize the guns, guns are bad, mmkay?

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:02:26 PM EDT
[#28]
That was just painful to read.    I don't even know where to start...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#29]
All this talk about rounds per minute.  What's the thrust per squeeze?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:15:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Last I checked, I carry 255 rounds in combat.  210 5.56 and 45 9mm.  

And I put mine in magazines, not clips.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The first five bullets from the AK-47, delivered in two short bursts, tore through the metal of the U.S. Postal Service mailbox.

Wow, and here I thought that Mailboxes were the ultimate in ballistic protection.  I better go dissasemble that mailbox-based body armor I was working on in the garage, and redesign the mailbox-lined bomb shelter out back.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I didn't know they made 75 round strippers....

They do, and they take a hella lot o' dollar bills...
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:25:38 PM EDT
[#33]
technical terms aside, the article rings some truth....

now i wonder where these guns came from

maybe the back of a PD van or something
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:28:00 PM EDT
[#34]

At some point we have to stop posting this stuff.

It is just so stupid.

The Media in this country is so full of Bullshit it is unreal.

In every story about guns they twist the facts ans make up shit, the real sad part is most of the sheeple believe what they read and hear.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#35]
"Fitchet pledged that anyone found with an illegal gun or using a gun in the commission of a crime will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law."

Why is it that every time some dumbass JBT or DA opens his mouth, this crap drips out.  You would think that enforcing the law would be a given, thats why they are called "Law Enforcement".

Bye the way...
<----- This place blows, stay away like its the plague.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Tanam Wrote: Whats the point of this post ?

Seems to me the point is that guns, especially the "scary" looking assault ones, get bad press. And the more bad press, the more people who know nothing about them want to get them banned. I "think" it might have already happened in 1994, and is still happening today in states like Connecticut. Awareness of what the enemy is doing is important.  Bags
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#37]
A mailbox is probably no thicker than a street sign.

OMG... the bullets will go RIGHT THROUGH a metal street sign!  

I think it's about time they make those semi-automatic machine guns illegal. That will keep criminals from using them.
They should also ban all those illegally-converted machine guns. If they ban them, that means they will no longer be around, and we'll all be safe.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:58:53 PM EDT
[#38]

Look at all these  600 Round Per Minute Semi Automatics.

Are these images even viewable in  Massachusetts?

For the Children......................
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:05:58 PM EDT
[#39]
since we don't really hear of criminals using the full auto conversions, I was wondering if they are smart enough to convert a semi to FA?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:10:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Giant poser flaming dickhead rentacops.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:11:18 PM EDT
[#41]
My reply to [email protected]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm writing about your article titled: "Real firepower on streets" found at www.masslive.com/metrowest/republican/index.ssf?/base/news-2/1138784232257840.xml&coll=1.  In politically correct terms, this article is factually challenged.  In layman's terms, it is full of false information commonly found on the cover story of a supermarket tabloid.

First, your use of the term "clip" is incorrect.  You should have used the term "magazine." A clip is a device pushed into the magazine of a firearm to load the magazine in one action. Clip-loaded firearms need the clip for proper operation; one cannot load loose cartridges without the clip.  Note that a clip is different from a magazine and the two terms should not be use interchangeably. A clip is a device that loads cartridges into a magazine, not the device which feeds cartridges into a firearm, which is the function of the magazine.  A magazine is an ammunition storage device within or attached to a firearm. The magazine may be integral to the firearm or removable.

Second, your description of "turning a bullet-proof vest into Swiss cheese" is baseless.  There is no such thing as a "bullet-proof vest."  The term "bullet-proof" is a misnomer since these vests, depending upon their protection level, may provide little or no protection against rifle ammunition or even against handgun ammunition fired from a pistol-caliber carbine. The correct term is body armor.  In America, the standards for body armor are found in National Institute of Justice Standard–0101.04, you can download a copy here: www.nlectc.org/pdffiles/0101.04RevA.pdf.  In summary, there are 6 levels of body armor protection recognized by the NIJ.  A Type I "bullet-proof vest" can be penetrated by almost every handgun caliber known to be issued to Police Officers in America.  Penetrating a Type I vest is by no means a spectacular feat.

Third, there is no such weapon as a "semi-automatic M-16."  The M16 is the U.S. Military designation for a family of rifles derived from the ArmaLite AR-15.  All M16's used by Uncle Sam are considered machine guns under Federal Law and all are capable of both automatic and semi-automatic fire.  Your choice of words is akin too saying "tooth dentist" or "foot podiatrist."

At lastly, who did you consult with to determine that regular soldiers carry less then 175 rounds of ammunition?  The majority of Americans are proficient in addition, and you say about one drug raid where a fellow "had a 75-round clip, plus two 30-round and two 20-round clips."  Last time I checked 75 + 30 +30 + 20 +20 = 175. The claim might be true if you're referring to a Soldier fighting on June 6, 1944, but it not even close to being true in modern times. American Soldiers going into combat today often carry in excess of 200 rounds of ammunition.

Your writings are far below the levels expected by a professional journalist.  Had you spent 15 minutes googling on the topics you were writing about you might not have made so many mistakes.  Better luck next time.

Respectfully,
txgp17
Kernersville, NC
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#42]
I sent the jerk an email.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#43]
I like how they always point out the rate of fire like you could walk around all day spraying out 400 bullets a minute.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:42:42 PM EDT
[#44]
So when is Sean Sullivan gonna be prosecuted for possesion?  Destruction of federal property?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top