Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 12:55:20 PM EDT
Link (need to register)

Man arrested after remark about gun at T.F. Green

01:00 AM EST on Wednesday, February 1, 2006

WARWICK -- Kidding or no, the Airport Police took it seriously.

On his way to catch a plane at T.F. Green Airport yesterday morning, a South Kingstown man remarked that he had a gun, said Kevin Hopkins, the acting police chief.

A USAirways employee overheard the remark and reported it, and the police arrested Ian Stewart, 33, of Tuckertown Road, before he got on a USAirways flight to Philadelphia, Hopkins said.

No weapon was found. Stewart faces a charge of disorderly conduct, and missed his flight while he was detained, Hopkins said.

"Even if you think you're joking, the mindset here is, it's no joke. People will take you seriously," Hopkins said. "Those comments are unacceptable and people should be aware of that."

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#1]
It may be a bit better article if they said what "the remark" actually was.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Dumbass,

If you talk about guns in teh airport, make sure its part of whole conversation.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:58:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Dumbass,

If you talk about guns in teh airport, make sure its part of whole conversation.

Or just replace the word gun with kitten.  ie "I just bought a new kitten over the weekend."  or "Have you seen my new shotkitten?"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:59:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the part in "Meet the parents" where Ben Stiller is hauled off the plane for saying bomb and the conversation that goes on after that.

Really, what a DA.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:09:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm actually viewing it in a different perspective. An airline employee overheard him talking. So unless the man is crazy, he was probably having a conversation with someone while the employee was within earshot.

The employee probably paid no attention to the conversation until he heard the buzz word "gun" and it set off his spidey senses.

I still think its BS that he's still being charged.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:18:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm actually viewing it in a different perspective. An airline employee overheard him talking. So unless the man is crazy, he was probably having a conversation with someone while the employee was within earshot.

The employee probably paid no attention to the conversation until he heard the buzz word "gun" and it set off his spidey senses.

"I overheard some girls at the mall talking one day.. I really wasn't paying attention till one of them said 'naked', then I KNEW at once they were talking about lesbian sex."
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I like the part in "Meet the parents" where Ben Stiller is hauled off the plane for saying bomb and the conversation that goes on after that.

Really, what a DA.

that's exactly what I thought of.

"it's not like I have a bomb"...."bomb, bobomb bomb bomb"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:35:52 PM EDT
[#8]
We need more info to make judgements. My experience with airlines and airports (which is alot), is they go overboard with stuff like this.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:37:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"I overheard some girls at the mall talking one day.. I really wasn't paying attention till one of them said 'naked', then I KNEW at once they were talking about lesbian sex."

Oh no, a US Airways counter gate clerk is far too well trained to make that mistake.  

In the context of the converstation the guy could've been sayng, "Oh yeah, I own a gun.  Maybe we should go to the range some time."
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought the name was changed to His majestry Bruce Sundlun airport
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:48:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought it was common sense to not mention keywords like that in an airport.

Guess not.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I didn't notice the sign at the airport on my last flight until after I'd checked in and had stowed a butane lighter in my checked luggage, right in an outside pocket.  They didn't find it.....in either direction.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:05:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Guess not.

I talk about guns all the time at the airport. Hell, I even read gun rags at the airport. Now, I don't go around blabbing about guns at the security checkpoint.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:15:13 PM EDT
[#14]
That’s strange. I walked into the airport and declared that I had a firearm and the nice TSA people inspected it and the case and were happy to take it from me after I locked the case.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Better not get caught explaining how a cathode ray tube in the television  works.  Or gripe about the "handheld radar device" with which the police caught you speeding.  Or, don't forget the "handheld percussion operated rapid rise time noise device" by which the starter started junior's last track meet.  Or, talk on the phone with a pool contractor about the relative merits of concrete block and plaster vs. the <trade name>  concrete mixture which is pumped into a pre-made form.  Or, talk with that VFW fellow about your dad in WWII who was a waist/tail  "operator of projectile throwing device which protects the airplane from enemy fighters".  Or, argue with me about the "Gatling" device in, say a 105.  Or, have a few marines talk about "this one's for shooting and this one's for 'fun'".  Or, telling your brother if you have anything l;arger than fine wiring for a soldering iron, and have heavier wiring, and see an ad from Harbor Freight advertising a soldering - "ergonomically designed device which can be held in the hand for easy control, with the transformer in the upper body, which leads to an interchangeable tip" to heat the solder on heavier wires.

It's not even that the inmates have taken over, it's the assholes who have taken over.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I thought it was common sense to not mention keywords like that in an airportanywhere in the crazy liberal Northeastern parts of the USA.

Guess not.

That's more like it, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:10:17 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It may be a bit better article if they said what "the remark" actually was.

It shouldn't matter.

read my sig line
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess not.

I talk about guns all the time at the airport. Hell, I even read gun rags at the airport. Now, I don't go around blabbing about guns at the security checkpoint.

Hopefully, he was talking about the hot glue gun or staple gun he used to put up Brady Campaign/VPC posters when he got pinched.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:01:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I think the next time I fly I'll take a box with a hazelnut & cream bombe with me. I presume that my telling the Airport folks that I have a bombe in the box should result in fun and a successful lawsuit.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:40:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no, a US Airways counter gate clerk is far too well trained to make that mistake.  

In the context of the converstation the guy could've been sayng, "Oh yeah, I own a gun.  Maybe we should go to the range some time."

Precisely.  Besides, if any fucking jackass came up to me about something like that my reply would be "uh, no idiot, you must have misheard.  Now go away."
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:51:18 PM EDT
[#21]
I've noticed its harder to get a gun magazine in the airport these days.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:20:23 PM EDT
[#22]
What if I and a fellow employee were talking about the BOM on a job... BILL OF MATERIALS.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
What if I and a fellow employee were talking about the BOM on a job... BILL OF MATERIALS.

"Yeah, Joe! I have the BOM with me in my briefcase. I'll ensure it's OK once we're up in the air."

DOH!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#24]
You think I jest... that IS the term used in some companies.

No, I am not laughing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top