Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2001 9:12:47 PM EDT
A day ago there was a thread circulating about a town in Utah passing an ordinance stating that people were forced to own a firearm.  
Even if the ordinance was largely symbolic, it's still a violation of people's rights.  I mean would we not complain if they passed a law stating that one HAD to were a political party affiliation button on their shirt even if it was "only symbolic?"
So some have raise the counter-argument in forums like this, well people without guns are increasing the crime rate and driving up the cost of police defense for the rest of us.  
So why not adopt a pro-free market solution.  Right now we are paying x dollars in taxes to fund the police compulsorily.  Why not have a voucher system and a for-pay police force.  This is purely an example, but what if the government gave you a 500 dollar tax credit every year, for home defense.  With that 500 dollars, you could purchase "CopGuard" The entry level police service.  Maybe toss in an extra 250 and get "CopGuard Plus" Featuring such nice features as, "Faster Response times, and friendlier police".  Or maybe you could pocket that money, spend it on a home defense shotgun and ammo or something.  This system would have the advantage of enabling private police forces to pop up.  Imagine the possibilities.  
  I personally would get the basic cop watch package, to investigate crimes against my home, and purchase a nice handgun and shotgun for home and self defence.

alphabeta121  
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top