Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 11:29:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 11:32:40 AM EDT by DienBienPhu54]
or from other non formal shooting positions? like on your back etc?

SEALs training shooting upsidedown to simulate having to shoot upside down
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:32:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:51:18 AM EDT
I've shot it every which way and it shoots fine. It is interesting to see how the brass flies (or bounces) depending how the firearm is oriented. The Barretta 92 will only fire upside down if you dislodge that (sear?) spring in the mag well. Which is why you should never aggressivly scrub the inside of the mag well to the M9.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:52:04 AM EDT
How about underwater?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:52:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:54:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 11:57:16 AM EDT by CITADELGRAD87]
I saw Neo do it during a cartwheel, which means it functions from full inverted, at all angles to normal orientation.

So I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:55:10 AM EDT
I's held my gat sideways, yo. Shit's da bomb, son!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:22:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mcgredo:
How about underwater?

hey whatever happened to that thread in which someone bumpfired/KB underwater with an AR?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:24:02 PM EDT
I generally hold my guns sideways when I shoot them. Yo.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:25:08 PM EDT
since I dont have a large metal plate to protect my azzhole from "IN" coming fire, there is no way I am bending over and shooting a bad guy like that!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:28:59 PM EDT
Try shooting it at an 87 degree angle!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:29:10 PM EDT
I ,uh ,don't see a gun.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:30:21 PM EDT
I do it all the time. As a matter of fact, I am doing it right now.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:33:25 PM EDT
I tried shooting my AR upside down once. It didn't work too good, I got a vapor lock in the gas system. hy.gif
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:36:12 PM EDT
As a matter of fact, NO.

My range has strange rules that forbid me from dangling from the booth and shooting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:45:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DienBienPhu54:

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:56:11 PM EDT
Can anyone think up a single senario for when you might need to shoot upside down like that?

Is that a picture of real SEALs doing something so amazingly high-speed we peasants cannot fathom it, or are they just morons acting stupid?

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:05:10 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedAndRetarded:
Can anyone think up a single senario for when you might need to shoot upside down like that?

Is that a picture of real SEALs doing something so amazingly high-speed we peasants cannot fathom it, or are they just morons acting stupid?

Repeling while facing the ground.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:06:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:15:27 PM EDT
Is he trying to stick his head in his ass?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:16:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 3:18:38 PM EDT by jchewie]

Originally Posted By roboman:

Yep

Edit. I'll admit that I have shot a Ruger P89 upside down. Just to see what would happen. It cycled through a magazine just fine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:18:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Carter226:

Or leaning down and shooting into a tunnel or truck side-window. You don't want to try something for the first time when the SHTF.

I took a carbine course and the instructor was a retired Navy SEAL. We practiced shooting under a barrier while laying on our sides. I had never thought about it but, if you're laying on your right side and let the rifle get too close to the ground, the ejection port can get blocked and cause a jam. Better to realize that on the range than in a fight for your life.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:24:00 PM EDT
I'm writing this post while upside down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:24:24 PM EDT

Yeea, umm.......that's all I got
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:28:27 PM EDT
Kool Aid kills.

Seriously, a rifles function should not be effected by turning it upside down.

Pistols might be another matter, but if that is a picture of Navy SEALs than my name is Mickey Mouse.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:30:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rifleman2000:

Pistols might be another matter, but if that is a picture of Navy SEALs than my name is Mickey Mouse.

+1

Looks more to me like a cop in need of a doctor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:39:05 PM EDT
I am so fucking thankful that I am not a team meber, if I were I wouldn't be able to mock that silly ass picture without having this thread haunt My Active Topics till it hits 12 pages and a lock.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:39:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By C-4:

Or leaning down and shooting into a tunnel or truck side-window. You don't want to try something for the first time when the SHTF.

I took a carbine course and the instructor was a retired Navy SEAL. We practiced shooting under a barrier while laying on our sides. I had never thought about it but, if you're laying on your right side and let the rifle get too close to the ground, the ejection port can get blocked and cause a jam. Better to realize that on the range than in a fight for your life.

I don't have a link for it, but bigbore posted a range report in which he shot while laying under/around a truck. He was able to get the ejection port close to the ground, and it still functioned fine. I think it was like an inch or two from the grass.

I did a 30 day search and found nothing. It may be in the archive...which I don't have access to.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:40:34 PM EDT
You should try shooting with your gun 180 degrees out some time. It's a blast!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:44:35 PM EDT

in the movie "THE ROCK" with Sean Connery & Nicolas Cage

they show a scene when the bad guys are rappeling down head first upside down with their weapons and firing at the same time
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:48:39 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:49:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thebeekeeper1:

I can't tell for sure, but if the one on the left has a beer gut I'm sure he's a real Navy SEAL--I saw him at a gun show.

That's not the original picture, I found the unedited one:

<­BR>
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:51:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:52:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RRA-A2:

Originally Posted By DienBienPhu54:

It's no longer silent and deadly!!! Imagine someone farting copper jacketed lead.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:59:01 PM EDT
Looks to me like the fella in the picture got kicked in the nuts by the guy infornt of him. is he wearing a pink undershirt?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:14:05 PM EDT

Clearly you have never seen....

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:20:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:36:10 PM EDT
I usually use that technique only when strafing ground targets during Halo jumps. Actually, the position is not actually inverted, more like your basic prone, but oriented vertical with your head toward the ground. It's pretty high speed. Drag is reduced, and you fall like an arrow.

The primary thing to remember is not to get so wrapped up in shooting that you forget to pull the rip cord.
-Lost a lot of good men like that is the days before automatic barometric backups.

Nothin for nothin, but if it is just a function check you seek, then it might be easier to just hold the weapon upside down.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:38:17 PM EDT

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:55:39 PM EDT

Umm, no.

If he was rappelling while facing the ground (known as Aussie style) then he would be shooting at the people on top of the cliff while aiming like that. In which case it would be easier to rappel normal and soot at them.

Aussie style lets you shoot at people on the ground, and all your gun has to do is shoot straight down.

I think they're just cops goofing off. That or he's going into labor.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:16:00 PM EDT
sdrawkcab toohs I semitemos
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:10:51 PM EDT
That pic is quite silly, however roll-over prone is a common and useful shooting position and the weapon can be sideways or upside down relative to the ground in that position (but hopefully not your body, otherwise you have to yell "Yo, yo, YO!") Everything I've every shot, pistol or rifle, has always worked fine in roll-over prone (i.e. sideways or upside down relative to gravity).

aa
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:47:57 PM EDT
bump
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:51:25 PM EDT

Boondock Saints.

Valuable inverted firearms training.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:55:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By rifleman2000:

Seriously, a rifles function should not be effected by turning it upside down.

Somewhere I read that one advantage the Win. model 70 has over the Rem. 700 is that the 70 can cycle reliably upside-down while the 700 is not perfectly reliable when fighting gravity.

I have absolutely no idea if it's true. And why you would need such an advantage is nearly beyond me.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:57:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Triumph955i:

Boondock Saints.

Valuable inverted firearms training.

you beat me to it
Top Top