Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2006 11:17:06 AM EDT
I just saw on Fox News a soldier in Iraq using a SAW with what appears to me a sound receiver (a large black box in what appears to be a triptych form) slaved to it on mount attached to the top of a HUMV.  The box appears to be about 2.5 feet wide, about 1 foot high, and about 10 inches deep, or, roughly the size of a large boom box.

Is this the famous sniper detector that I have heard about?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
w/o a picture it's hard to tell... It's probably a loudspeaker.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
It looked very similar to that, but what struck me was that it was slaved to the SAW.  I could be wrong ...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:25:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It looked very similar to that, but what struck me was that it was slaved to the SAW.  I could be wrong ...

not uncommon
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:46:54 PM EDT
[#5]
It's slaved to the M249/M240 so whenever you fire, it starts playing "Enter the Sandman"..... dumm de dum  dum dum... dumm de dumm dumm....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:56:47 PM EDT
[#6]
what is "slaved"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
what is "slaved"

whenever you fire, it starts playing
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
there was group in Ramadi while I was there rolling around playing Bodies by Drowning Pool
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:00:43 PM EDT
[#9]
what is "slaved"
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I just saw on Fox News a soldier in Iraq using a SAW with what appears to me a sound receiver (a large black box in what appears to be a triptych form) slaved to it on mount attached to the top of a HUMV.  The box appears to be about 2.5 feet wide, about 1 foot high, and about 10 inches deep, or, roughly the size of a large boom box.

Is this the famous sniper detector that I have heard about?

High Mobility Multi-purpose Wheeled Vehicle.  HMMWV.

Probably Psy-ops loudspeaker.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:07:08 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
what is "slaved"

I have heard that term used for optical trackers mounted on motorized turrets with a coaxially mounted machinegun, so I'm guessing the original author was wondering if the SAW was cued by what he was implying might be a sniper location detector.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Just to shed a little light on the whole antisniper system (Whether you all want it or not).  From what i've heard, the only one thats been purchased en-masse is the Bommerang system by DARPA.  However, from the designs i've seen it is a series of four audio sensors on the corners of the HMMWV.  Audio designs for Antisniper systems are severely flawed and when they did testing for them at the Marine Warfighting lab last June, the highest percentage of actually detecting the location of a shooter was 43% by DARPAs system.  I work with a company that is developing an infrared sensing camera, which even in its earliest stages, was able to out perform most audio systems that were being tested.  I'll see if i can dig out the table of how the other systems did at the last test.

/Thread hijack
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:29:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
what is "slaved"

I have heard that term used for optical trackers mounted on motorized turrets with a coaxially mounted machinegun, so I'm guessing the original author was wondering if the SAW was cued by what he was implying might be a sniper location detector.

Although I probably would not have put it the way you did, you have expressed my view of this image I saw.  Any "slaved" machine is one that is attached to another to work in tandem.  In this case, both the SAW and the black box rotated around a hub/turret hatch.  BTW, this is not a pintel mount, but something that rotates about the hatch.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:09:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Tag for the day shift.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:48:59 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
there was group in Ramadi while I was there rolling around playing Bodies by Drowning Pool

let the bodies hit the floor... let the bodies hit the floor.... let the bodies hit the.... FLOOR!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top