Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/1/2006 5:37:46 AM EDT
I am blessed for reasons unknown to me to be married to the most wonderful woman on earth who gave us two wonderful daughters. One daughter is now a 2nd semester junior in college and the older daughter graduated from college last May, and still lives with us and works. I've had them shooting since they were kids. My wife strongly supports shooting but doesn't shoot much herself.

Yesterday I took my daughter to the range with 100 rds of 12 gauge and a case of White Flyers. It was cold and blustery and those little birds were jumping all over the place. She shot up the whole case (My Rem 11-87). There was one older gent at the range working out his AR. When he finished he came over and told us how happy he was to see a young person on the range and told my daughter that she's one lucky girl that her dad would take the time and interest to get her there. They had a lot of discussion about that.

The guy, turns out was a Vietnam Vet, a tanker, and shared some damned hair raising experiences with us. He talked for a while and said, "I don't know why I'm telling you this, I've never even told my son some of this." He explained in his own terms to my daughter how vital it is to be a gun owner and how important the 2nd ammendment is to secure our freedoms and way of life. Things I've been saying all along, but she seemed to take them to heart coming from a stranger.

Turns out he carries his unit flag with him and he actually got it out of his truck and showed it to us. Most of the signatures are faded and the flag is a bit yellowed now. The flag had a scull on it and the words "Hells Marauders". He told me that flag represents a whole lot to him and is the reason every day when he gets out of bed he gives thanks and says he's going to have the best day of his life. He said he carries the flag with him some of the time. My daughter was enthralled by this conversation.

She was hitting about 80% yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:55:02 AM EDT
Great story. Thanks for sharing.
Top Top