Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:54:28 AM EDT
I have the standard version and have completed my return all the way to the end and it's giving me an error on their part:

"Inconsistency: When we released TaxCut, Form 5239 was not yet finalized. A program update containing the final form will be available by mid-Feb. Please update your program at this time....yada yada.

Found on Form 5239: Return for IRA and Retirement Plan Tax"

How can they delay users be making them wait till mid-Feb? Anyone gotten this error?
Any fix?

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:08:05 AM EDT
I'm using turbotax and got a similiar message about another form for educational expenses that wouldn't be available until early Feb.

Yep, it sucks. Just keep checking back often.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:59:20 AM EDT
Its not always the fault of Taxcut or TurboTax, or whatever you use, its your government at work. Many times these forms are revised or the law is changed requiring the software company to update their software. These updates or revisions are usually released by the IRS/State Government in Dec or Jan so the software companies can't include the new forms with the shipped software and have to add it as part of an update. The IRS is usually pretty good about getting the updates out as soon as they can, but some states are horrendous about it and haven't be able to get the tax code changes out until as late as March.

Depending on the the number of changes to the tax laws that occurred or became effective during thelast year, these updates can be minor, or only affect a limited number of people, so they release the software so that most people can complete their returns as the changes don't impact them. A major change to the tax laws, like what occurred a few years ago, prevented the companies from releasing the software at all because the changes affected so many forms and calculations that they didn't start to get on store shelves until the end Feb.

Both Taxcut and TurboTax average about 30 days from the release of the new forms to update, recalculate and test their software before they release the updates, but they are completely at the mercy of the Fed and State tax authorities.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:03:49 AM EDT
Yes i get the same error
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:03:22 AM EDT
I just got done filing my taxes with Jackson Hewitt and was told the IRS is at this time not excepting tax credit for education. My wife had $54 dollars (I know not much) that she could clam but could not. We decided to forget about it because it would only get up $10 bucks back. The will except interest on student loans.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:38:40 AM EDT
Thank the Dems for scewing up the tax code further last session.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:59:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/1/2006 3:59:28 PM EDT by JHill]
Well, I guess it's good to know that I'm not the only one--I'm supposed to get back a HUGE (most ever for me) return due to a lot of medical/mort. interest/charitable/etc--so I want to get this ball rolling.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:11:38 AM EDT
Alright, it's MID-FEB!! When is this stinking update coming out?

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:28:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Duratuss:
I just got done filing my taxes with Jackson Hewitt and was told the IRS is at this time not excepting tax credit for education. My wife had $54 dollars (I know not much) that she could clam but could not. We decided to forget about it because it would only get up $10 bucks back. The will except interest on student loans.

Fear not. You'll get audited and be nailed for filing an incorrect return. You'll have to pay the IRS $12038947561237890.12 in fines for not claiming that $10 refund.
Top Top