BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:57:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Really, in Enemy at The Gates, I kept rooting for the Germans.

I HATE communists 2/10 of 1% more than I despise Nazis.

The evils of communism take a back seat to the evil of nazism, in my opinion.  

The germans got what was coming to them, when the Red Army ripped them a new asshole, all the way to Berlin.

I don't know that I would agree that Nazism is worse than Communism.

If we examine body counts, we would see that the communists killed lots more people than the Nazis did.

And the Nazis made very few political inroads into the United States.

The communists, however, have had a major impact on our way of life in the US.

The Nazi movement was bad, but I believe history shows that the communist movement has been far more destructive in terms of bloodshed, misery, and opression.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:58:24 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Makes me wonder why Communist atrocities are always downplayed.

Kids today are taught to despise the swastika and rightly so.

The hammer and sickle are even blindly worn as a fashion these days.  

As with anything, it depend who won and who is writing the history.   Before WWII, the NY Times denied the Stalin atrocities even occurred, and the writer (forgot his name just now, but he was well known) got a Pulitzer.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oh - they would have come.  Amphibious assault with armored divisions on the coastline.  Landing craft, ships, etc - would leave from Polish and East German ports, and then land on the coastline of Zealand.  We pretty much knew where they would be coming from, and where they would land (roughly).  Poorly disguised East German surveillance craft, made to look like fishing boats, would routinely map and survey our coastline.

The plan for the defense of Denmark was the bitter realization that we would lose Copenhagen early, and so the role of the combat brigades on the main island with Copenhagen was to "slow down" the advance enough to give our armored divisions in Jutland time to get organized (and to get U.S. and Brit reinforcements) and to coordinate with German armored divisions.

Plus, our subs, minelayers and fast torpedo boats would do everything they could to bottle up the soviet Baltic Fleet - the Danish straits are VERY narrow, which was one of the reasons the soviets needed to take the Danish islands.

But the main island would be lost, and regiments like mine would be annihilated.  While we trained things like ambush, movement etc. we spent a LOT of time training to dig in, and fight from prepared positions, with no fallback or retreat planned.  It would have sucked ass bigtime, and training for a fight that you pretty much know you'll be killed in is a sobering thought.  

fucking danes are hardcore! your sos jaegerkorps is chomping at the bit to get trigger time in a-stan and iraq. the head is saying that you're missing a great opportunity to get real experience instead of training all the time. apparently the danish govt wants to double it's contingent in a-stan but it may be a tradeoff with pulling troops out of iraq (your social democrats are pushing for that). i kinda get the impression the danes have no prob kicking rag ass...

Id wager that the Jægerkorpset have been doing a whole lot more than just chomping at the bit..

Yeah - the Jægerkorps have already been operating in Afghanistan quite a bit, and have also been operating in Iraq (although I'm not sure if their Iraq actvities are official, but I know they've been active there)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:59:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I honestly cannot understand why anyone would root against anyone that was fighting the nazis.  Not trying to pick a fight, or saying anyone is wrong - just that I cannot understand it.

Russians especially.  They were attacked by the Germans, and were pretty much just defending themselves for most of the war, until they finally got the momentum.  Whether they were communists or not, they were defending themselves against ruthless invaders, and then decided to take the fight to the germans.

Perhaps it is because the Nazis made a decade dangerous, but the communists made the rest of the century dangerous. We lived for decades with the threat of total anihilation, which tends to make people sort of mad.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:56:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:07:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Yeah - the Jægerkorps have already been operating in Afghanistan quite a bit, and have also been operating in Iraq (although I'm not sure if their Iraq actvities are official, but I know they've been active there)

Even their name rocks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:23:46 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Makes me wonder why Communist atrocities are always downplayed.

Kids today are taught to despise the swastika and rightly so.

The hammer and sickle are even blindly worn as a fashion these days.  

As with anything, it depend who won and who is writing the history.   Before WWII, the NY Times denied the Stalin atrocities even occurred, and the writer (forgot his name just now, but he was well known) got a Pulitzer.

The reporter was Walter Duranty.  At the same time Roosevelt was condemning the Nazis (rightfully so) he gave official recognition to the Soviet Union.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top