Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 6:18:39 PM EDT
Northrop Grumman, U.S. Air Force Demonstrate Improved 'Smart' Weapon for B-2 Stealth Bomber

EL SEGUNDO, Calif., Jan. 31, 2006 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) and the U.S. Air Force have successfully demonstrated the integration of a munition on the B-2 stealth bomber that incorporates an improved, penetrating warhead with an upgraded guidance kit.

"The demonstration represents another example of our commitment to maintain the B-2's flexibility to employ a variety of advanced weapons," said Mike Galaway, director of B-2 product development and delivery at Northrop Grumman's Integrated Systems sector. "We also want to ensure that the nation's No. 1 long-range strike asset remains the most versatile and lethal bomber in the inventory."

During the demonstration at the Utah Test and Training Range at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, a B-2 delivered a live GBU-28C/B bomb with a new BLU-122 warhead, destroying the target. The 5,000-pound GBU-28C/B is a follow-on to the EGBU-28B/B that was successfully integrated on the B-2 in 2003. Improvements to the GBU-28C/B allow it to penetrate the target more deeply. The BLU-122 warhead and the upgraded guidance kit were integrated by Raytheon Missile Systems.

As the B-2 prime contractor, Northrop Grumman is responsible for integrating weapons with the B-2 system. Northrop Grumman has now successfully completed the key objectives associated with a $5.4 million contract awarded by the Air Force in February 2005 for GBU-28C/B integration.

Northrop Grumman and the Air Force are also working on several projects to improve the B-2's communications, radar and weapons capabilities to enhance the aircraft's ability to respond to emerging worldwide threats. Other projects include a new active electronically scanned array radar antenna, a Link-16 communications system and an upgraded onboard computer processor.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:19:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:20:54 PM EDT
[#2]
What you can't see can hurt you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Gee....I wonder why we would be upgrading our deep earth penetrating ability now of all time?

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn. What I would give to fly one of those.

Friggen Gunney from Mail Call got a ride.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]
next day bumpage.....
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:54:01 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Damn. What I would give to fly one of those.

Friggen Gunney from Mail Call got a ride.

+1

I can't tell you how insanely jealous of that man I am.

For everything except kissing Jack Black that is.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Paying attention Iran?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:55:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi Ho Hi Ho off to Iran it goes
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:55:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Gee....I wonder why we would be upgrading our deep earth penetrating ability now of all time?

I RAN it through the computer and come up empty.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Damn Molemen  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:41:03 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted: I RAN it through the computer and come up empty.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#12]
How deep does it penetrate I wonder?

And is the diameter large enough to accept a B-61 physics package...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top