Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2006 2:38:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah another version of crapola with ALL NEW SECURITY holes.

I wonder what NEW FEATURES it has that allow hackers to hijack my computer with.

I could go on and on and on.......

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:41:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/ie7/ie7betaredirect.mspx

It's pretty sweet. Sorry if dupe.

Give us some input.  What do you like about it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:46:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

I wonder what NEW FEATURES it has that allow hackers to hijack my computer with.

It is nice you are clairvoyant and can know things about a product without having used it.

I have been using the Beat 1 release of IE 7 for several months and there is no doubt it is less susceptible to spyware than anything out right now, certainly better than Firefox... but it is SLOW. If MS has managed to speed things up in this Beta 2 release it will be a winner.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:37:45 PM EDT
[#4]
beta 2 is very speedy. so far only a minor bug here and there, all pages display correctly. had one crash though. But I like it, the speed of IE with the tabs of firefox. It also has a nicer looking GUI.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Does it completely remove IE6 or can you run both on the same machine?  If it removes 6, can you remove 7 beta and go back to 6 easily?  

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#6]
If it has directx I'll pass.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is nice you are clairvoyant and can know things about a product without having used it.

I have been using the Beat 1 release of IE 7 for several months and there is no doubt it is less susceptible to spyware than anything out right now, certainly better than Firefox... but it is SLOW. If MS has managed to speed things up in this Beta 2 release it will be a winner.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Tag for home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:40:14 PM EDT
[#8]
i would be willing to try it on one of my "junk" bench machines.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Does it completely remove IE6 or can you run both on the same machine?  If it removes 6, can you remove 7 beta and go back to 6 easily?  

IE 6 built into your OS. I dont see it removing it completely.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:42:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Cool. I like Firefox, but if IE had tabbed browsing...

ETA: Guess not. It wants SP2, and that is of the devil.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:46:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Wheeeeeeeee! Security flaws!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I think it's pretty cool so far.  tabbed browsing, search toolbar on the address bar, anti-phishing filter, even better pop-up blocker.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:08:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Another Mickeysoft product.

No thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:13:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

AMEN.

How long until MS wises up and finally gets rid of that crap?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:15:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Beta test a Microsoft product?

why not play Russian Roulette with a Glock?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:16:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm drinking the cool-aid. And it's goooood.

ETA: Tinfoil is cheap; everyone should buy some.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Requires SP2, eh?  I guess I'll have to pass for now.  Still waiting to install it on my home machine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:17:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Cool. I like Firefox, but if IE had tabbed browsing...

ETA: Guess not. It wants SP2, and that is of the devil.

SP2 is fine.

Unless you install it on a system infected with all kinds of crap. I install SP2 on 5-7 comnputers a day. I have yet to have a problem. I tink all the horror stories are from people who take crappy care of thier computers and no fix in the world will alleviate their computer issues.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:28:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Not installing sp2 because it's "buggy" is like not putting oil in your car because it makes blue smoke.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#21]
complaining about the security flaws in IE and not running Service Pack 2 is like disinfecting your forehead and then drilling a hole through it.  Pre-SP2 has a lot of security flaws that can be exploited without even using IE.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm drinking the cool-aid. And it's goooood.

ETA: Tinfoil is cheap; everyone should buy some.

Good riddance firefox!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:05:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMEN.

It's ActiveX, actually.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:14:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

But it's the new improved security holes!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:17:52 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMEN.

It's ActiveX, actually.

Correct....don't know why I didn't catch it when I quoted it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:19:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh quick! Let me run out and download some beta brownware.

Why not? It's been at least six months since I had to fdisk this box.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:24:52 PM EDT
[#27]
tag
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I install SP2 on 5-7 comnputers a day. I have yet to have a problem.

Good for you. Now install it on one that uses VPN, and report back. And no, KB884020 does not clear all the issues.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I downloaded it.
What a piece of shit.
It won't even let me get to my homepage without
first warning me that my browser settings are a problem.

I am looking for the uninstall.  But of of course, I am
expecting too much from MS.  Who would ever want to
uninstall one of their enlightened, illustrious, bleeding edge,
copies of software.

Prepare to be assimilated.

Back to Firefox for me.

DanM
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I install SP2 on 5-7 comnputers a day. I have yet to have a problem.

Good for you. Now install it on one that uses VPN, and report back. And no, KB884020 does not clear all the issues.

The cisco vpn client works fine with SP2... it just broke citrix, JDE and about a half dozen java web apps... and notes... and novell... and Altiris...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:33:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Won't work with a VPN?  Be more specific, as I know of many different people who use XP SP2 with VPN every day.  Many different types of VPN clients, connecting to different companies.

Even if you've got a valid edge case issue, don't slander the scenario (XP SP2 w/ VPN usage) as not working when you are clearly wrong for the majority of users.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Even if you've got a valid edge case issue, don't slander the scenario (XP SP2 w/ VPN usage) as not working when you are clearly wrong for the majority of users.

Ya, it worked so well with VPN that Microsoft spanked out a hotfix for it just for shits and grins. A hotfix, mind you, that does not resolve all of the issues with the revised TCPIP stack (It killed NMAP until Fyodor released a workaround. MS was of no help. Thanks for fucking up raw sockets, MS!)

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:46:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I run VPN and WIN XP SP2 just fine, no problems whatsoever

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Raw sockets weren't "fucked up", they were removed (the single deviation from the IETF version of TCPIP v4).  This was done to block crazy infected clients from going nuts as zombies on the Internet.  The same boxes that asshats who don't install XP2 end up running at home.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Raw sockets weren't "fucked up", they were removed...

Incorrect.

From Microsoft's whitepaper on the topic:

The Windows implementation of TCP/IP still supports receiving traffic on raw IP sockets. However, the ability to send traffic over raw sockets has been restricted in two ways:

* TCP data cannot be sent over raw sockets.
   * UDP datagrams with invalid source addresses cannot be sent over raw sockets. The IP source              
       address for any outgoing UDP datagram must exist on a network interface or the datagram is  
       dropped.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:50:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Then if it has ActiveX I'll pass.<G>

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AMEN.

It's ActiveX, actually.

Correct....don't know why I didn't catch it when I quoted it.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:04:41 PM EDT
[#37]
While technically correct, you still miss the point.  The changes to raw sockets were done reduce the impact of the zombie hordes.

Nobody enjoys having a crippled stack, but we're all better off as a result.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:08:42 PM EDT
[#38]
whoopdefuckindoo
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:14:22 PM EDT
[#39]
yes but does it run on linux
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:45:41 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
While technically correct, you still miss the point.

*sigh*

I was not 'techinically' correct, I was absolutely correct. Microsoft fucked with raw sockets; they did not remove them, as you claim. There is no middle ground on this. I know why they claimed they did it, but that does not change the facts of the matter.

Besides, Mac and Linux seem to do just fine without playing with their TCP stacks. If Microsoft had competent folks doing security, messing with raw sockets would have been the last of their concerns.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:35:22 PM EDT
[#42]

Critic type #1 - Oh, IE is such a piece of crap, it has all these security flaws, is vunerable to exploits and isn't perfect.

Critic type #2 - Oh, IE is such a piece of crap, it won't let me do the stuff I used to, I have to make it download suspicious files and execute suspicious code.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:38:27 PM EDT
[#43]
More security 'swiss-cheese' from Microsoft.  Keep it.  I'm happily runnng Firefox.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:46:05 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
More security 'swiss-cheese' from Microsoft.  Keep it.  I'm happily runnng Firefox.

I've had five tabs open for over 5 hours in IE7. I've not gone above 60mb usage. Same five tabs that would eat up over 250mb (and counting) in less than 3 hours with firefox.

Oh and if you really think *any* other browser is more "secure" than IE, I've got a bridge from LA to Honolulu I'd like to sell you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:55:50 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I've had five tabs open for over 5 hours in IE7. I've not gone above 60mb usage. Same five tabs that would eat up over 250mb (and counting) in less than 3 hours with firefox.

Oh and if you really think *any* other browser is more "secure" than IE, I've got a bridge from LA to Honolulu I'd like to sell you.

Do not bother…

Security flaws are being found in Firefox at twice the rate of IE, it has been that way for a year. Nobody should fool themselves in to thinking Firefox is more secure. You must still run good anti-virus and anti-spyware software.

Firefox is also a memory hog that can bring many older computers to their knees. They have know about the problem for at least 1 ½ years and cannot fix it.

I prefer Opera right now. Opera while not perfect is not the resource hog that Firefox is.

Unless you are experienced I would stay away from the IE 7 beta at least until the next release, it is a beta after all.

Either way Firefox sucks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Speaking of firefox...

1.5.0.1 is out today

And google is working on a free desktop replacement OS... based on Ubuntu.

I'd rather see them spend the money on open office. but hey! it's free. (both in terms of money and spyware/trojans)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:45:15 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Firefox is also a memory hog that can bring many older computers to their knees. They have know about the problem for at least 1 ½ years and cannot fix it.

I prefer Opera right now. Opera while not perfect is not the resource hog that Firefox is.

Yep, Firefox does have memory leakage issues, you can cut down on this problem by gong to Tool>Options>Downloads, and unchecking the box for "Show Download Manager window when a download begins."

I have the same member issues with Opera, just that it doesn't grow as fast.

ETA-I think people can exploit Firefox more easily because people can actually look inside the source code and see how the thing works, and how to integrate or circum-navigate the protection mechesim code the virus into the browser.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:48:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Heck I'm having trouble making vpn work between Windoze 2000 boxes.  I installed a new Linksys RV042VPN router at the remote site and the connections trying to use Quickbooks Enterprise are slower than using the Webex connection.  So slow they're unusable.  The Atlanta site has Charter cable business class (5xxx kbs down and 1xxx kbs up) and the Columbus site has BellSouth business DSL (3xxx kbs down and 1xxx kbs up) so I don't think it's the conection speed.

Guess I'm just going to have to go to Terminal Services and pull out the Linksys Router - what waste of $200 and the time to install and set it up.  It's a nice piece of hardware though and well supported.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I think it's pretty cool so far.  tabbed browsing, search toolbar on the address bar, anti-phishing filter, even better pop-up blocker.

So, in other words, they've finally gotten around to implementing a few of the features that other, better, browsers have had for the last several years?  Wow.  Color me spectacufabularly impressed.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:01:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So, in other words, they've finally gotten around to implementing a few of the features that other, better, browsers have had for the last several years?  Wow.  Color me spectacufabularly impressed.

You don't have to be impressed.  Myself, I like it, but it doesn't matter to me if you do or not.  Don't want to use it, cool, not my problem.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top