Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 12:58:19 PM EDT
9news.com/acm_news.aspx?OSGNAME=KUSA&IKOBJECTID=218dcb40-0abe-421a-0105-57db5d0d47f1&TEMPLATEID=0c76dce6-ac1f-02d8-0047-c589c01ca7bf

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS - A 52-year-old man assaulted a teenage girl after a collision between the girl and the man's daughter, according to police.

Randal Berg of Littleton was arrested Sunday for the assault in which he reportedly punched the 16-year-old in the back and head.

The teenager told police she ran over Berg's 7-year-old daughter's skis with her snowboard and then the two fell to the ground. Berg saw his daughter on the ground and began attacking the snowboarder, according to Steamboat Springs Police Captain Joel Rae.

The snowboarder told police she was apologizing to the 7-year-old when Berg attacked her.
Police say Berg hit the girl repeatedly in the back of the head. The teen was wearing a helmet.

A group of witnesses intervened and separated Berg from the girl, police said. The witnesses also corroborated the girl's story, according to police.

After being separated from the snowboarder Berg launched into a tirade and threatened "to (expletive) kill" the snowboarder, police said.

The snowboarder was able to descend to the bottom of the mountain and walked away without serious injury.

Berg was taken to Routt County Jail and booked on charges of third-degree assault and disorderly conduct. He was released Monday on $1,000 bond. He is scheduled to appear in Routt County Court on Feb. 14.

The accident occurred near the base of the ski mountain, where Steamboat Springs police have jurisdiction.

Rae said he has never heard of such an incident.

"There are fights and misunderstandings, but never have I seen anything with that kind of rage in my law enforcement career," the captain said.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:03:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seriously been considering buying a gun to carry while skiing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like toughguy needs a few weeks to learn self control in the county lockup
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#3]
My 7 year old son and wife were plowed two weeks ago as she was teaching him to ski.  Teenage girl with fogged goggles didn't stop while trying to remove them.  My wife, the mother bear that she is, gave this girl such a dressing down I truely felt sorry for the girl.  But the girl was allowed to leave unassaulted.  

Kent
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Can someone please explain why there is so much RAGE and ANGER in the world these days?  I  

can understand giving a severe tongue lashing but a grown man assaulting a young women over an

obvious accident. You hear more and more each day people loosing all self control over such

stupid things.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]

Drawn down on ski's?  

Polish or not, if the guy's got it coming to him... He's getting drew down on!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Drawn down on ski's?

Draw down on Ski-WHATs?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Ain't nothing wrong with the Polish.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:33:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow, just wow. I carry a knife while I snowboard, I wouldnt hesitate to use it on the mtn although everyone is usually friendly.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:15:54 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Can someone please explain why there is so much RAGE and ANGER in the world these days?  I  

can understand giving a severe tongue lashing but a grown man assaulting a young women over an

obvious accident. You hear more and more each day people loosing all self control over such

stupid things.

A collision on the mountain can be a very serious thing. When you are on a crowded part of the slope, you have to slow down and be aware. People who don't are a serious hazard to the rest of us. Doesn't justify assault, but I can understand the anger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top