Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/31/2006 10:58:56 AM EDT
Having a kid is making me become a bit less cavlier with the range attitudes. I have a kid to worry about and don't feel like getting killed by some jerkoff with unsafe tendencies. I think after this year i will start only hitting the range while wearing my Interceptor. I thought i recalled seeing a few people on here say they do this too???
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#1]
nope

but that's because I don't have any... Reminds me, I need to bump my armor thread for votes...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#2]

I don't even own body armor...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:00:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't, I should tho because I've been hit with lots of lead flying back from other shooters.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I've been thinking about it

I've been hit with one too many ricochets
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#5]
No
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#6]
If you don't like shooting with DUMB ASSES, don't go to public ranges.  I sure don't!

Armor is a good thing to have in your SHTF gear pile anyway.  Get some.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Damn right I do.  Like a religion. I've seen three fatalities and a whole lot of accidents.  I also won't go to crowded ranges because of the safety factor. (Too many folks to keep an eye on)

Face it guys, the run-of-the-mill gun owner is one dangerous person to be around.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about it

I've been hit with one too many ricochets

I had it on at the shoot on Saturday DPMMN, no one noticed.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:04:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I really need to buy an old gravel pit.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:08:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a IIIA vest, but I don't wear it at the range.

If you think you need armor at the range, find somewhere else to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:09:33 AM EDT
[#11]
An interceptor, especially with hard plates, at the range would be a bit extreme, IMHO.  I'd find a new range.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:14:07 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Damn right I do.  Like a religion. I've seen three fatalities and a whole lot of accidents.  I also won't go to crowded ranges because of the safety factor. (Too many folks to keep an eye on)

Face it guys, the run-of-the-mill gun owner is one dangerous person to be around.

Remind me not to go shooting wherever you shoot!  YIKES!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:15:04 AM EDT
[#13]
I shoot at a private range, but I do wear armor for realistic practice.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Remind me not to go shooting wherever you shoot!  YIKES!

Oh, it's over 35 years.  Not just since last Thursday.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:16:36 AM EDT
[#15]
The range i go to is usually empty or almost empty. The point is that i would rather be considered "extreme" or even thought of as ridiculous then be dead because someone had a ND or  AD that one day. This htread has nothing to do about finding another range or whatnot. Everyone has a bad range story. My life is way too important to me at thisa point to worry about what people think of me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#16]
You're around folks at the range and you think you need to wear armor?

That's God's way of telling you it's a good day to be somewhere else!

I had a guy who wore armor to the range for LFI (along with Ayoob).  In fact, he was one of my two shooting partners for the class.  At first I'm thinking "Dude, I hope you know what you're doing!" but later found out he took a slug in the shoulder at some range some years before the class and wears armor religiously when going to the range since then.  Hey, to each his own.

I'm not sure why Ayoob does it.  Maybe it's just the potential for idiot shooters.  

I teach novices and folks for Florida permits and I don't wear armor.  We will watch the first few relays of single shots to look for potential trouble spots and assign them an instructor to watch over them carefully -- all without the student's knowledge usually.  The worst student we ever had simply needed an instructor on both sides of him to guarantee nothing stupid would happen.  He did well.  You never know when you'll see something goofy... like the guy who adjusted his earphones with both hands while holding a loaded revolver.  That causes heartburn for our RO!

By the grace of God we haven't even had an AD or ND at our classes.  We've caught 100% of squibs (easily over a dozen over the years), had a kBoom! with a Glock and other weirdness, but nobody's gotten hurt, save for the occasional thumb on the wrong side of an autopistol.

In general, at a public range, if I think someone is so unsafe that I need armor, I simply pack up and go home.

John

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:25:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Always.

But the shield does sorta get in the way.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#18]
If you do not train while wearing armour, it will be different when the time comes to use your armour. I am gonna start wearing my vest when I go shoot just to get used to wearing it and functioning while wearing it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#19]
I don't own any armor, but if you're wanting range time during Elmer - er, hunting - season, I'd say it's a prerequisite.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Do shooting glasses count as armor?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:31:26 AM EDT
[#21]
don't own any

so no, i don't

+1 on public ranges being synonymous for "idiot proving grounds".
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:33:55 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I'm not sure why Ayoob does it.  Maybe it's just the potential for idiot shooters.

Depending on the class, chance's are he's the better shooter.

Quoted:
By the grace of God we haven't even had an AD or ND at our classes.  We've caught 100% of squibs (easily over a dozen over the years), had a kBoom! with a Glock and other weirdness, but nobody's gotten hurt, save for the occasional thumb on the wrong side of an autopistol.

I don't know that I've actually ever seen anyone do that.  Well, regardless, I bet they don't ever do it *again*.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:36:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes, the Army makes us.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:37:32 AM EDT
[#24]
At the police range, yes. Regular ranges, no.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depending on the class, chance's are he's the better shooter.

Quoted:

I don't know that I've actually ever seen anyone do that.  Well, regardless, I bet they don't ever do it *again*.

Unfortunately, i've watched the same idiot do it twice in the same range session. You would think he learned the first time he wrapped that thumb over top of his gunhand. But apparently lost skin and swelling wasn't enough.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:38:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Not me, I'm bulletproof.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Fight as you train, train as you fight.

Yes, I do.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:42:14 AM EDT
[#28]
I just avoid the range on the weekends.  When I go during the week, it is nothing but a few old retirees popping off reloads in their bolt guns.  Weekends seem to bring out the no-it-all, watch-this crowd.  No thanks.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:44:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Only a cod piece.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#30]
I had two rounds fly past me at the 200M line at Three Points.  Even though the range is professionally designed and recently improved I almost caught rounds from the next range.

There is a 100M range with a huge berm adjacent to where I was, and it is dug deeper than the 200-500M steel range.  I think that when shooting at 25M or less on the adjacent range, the rounds were skiffing off the dirt and launching right over the berm, dropping around the 200M point.  They were still supersonic, and were not tumbling.  Bad stuff.

I gave the rangemasters some hell over it, but am really considering the body armor thing.  Since it doesn't cover everything, it is best to not get shot at.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#31]
i ware mine hunting, thats it..
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:49:49 AM EDT
[#32]
I do. I have a nice concealable vest. Not rated for rifle but it is light and I forget I am wearing it. I have 3 kids better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Soft armor always,  plates sometimes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:54:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Where do I get some body armor?....maybe my US Marshall friend has some extra stuff he doesn't need.......hmmmmm......
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Fight as you train, train as you fight.

+1

We don't do any departmental shoots w/o armor.  When we run swat quals, we run them in full mall-ninja attire.

The only way you get out of it is if you are assigned to a soft-clothes unit, like Defectives or some such.

Sheep
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:08:46 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Only a cod piece.

+1
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

That's what I keep hearing from Feinstein
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:46:15 PM EDT
[#39]
oooo boy when i got to the range im in full camo, face painted, helmet and full body armour and loaded for bear. those paper targets are not to be messed with less you know what your doing.

when i go shooting its on the ranch and i dont have to worry about some clown accidently shooting me.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:57:49 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
If you don't like shooting with DUMB ASSES, don't go to public ranges.  I sure don't!

+1
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:58:25 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Your colors are showing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:05:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Not usually.

But in an instance where I was unsure about someone's weapon handling I did the next best thing.

I grabbed one of the skinny SWAT guys, picked him up by his vest and used him for cover.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Only at the police range.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#44]
If I wear BDUs, does that mean someone with a .50 can legally engage me?  I mean, they're aiming for my "equipment" right??

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#45]
No
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#46]
depends on the range

big +1 on armor being a good thing to have in your "emergancy gear" pile, i have a set for me, and a set for whoever may happen to be my sig/other at the time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:26:07 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I don't own any armor, but if you're wanting range time during Elmer - er, hunting - season, I'd say it's a prerequisite.

Any common hunting round from any common hunter (30-06, 30-30, .270 etc) will go easily through body armor. Kind of ruins the point of wearing it, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Believe me, there's dumbasses aplenty at both private ranges I belong to. Doesn't seem like any fewer than the public range I used to frequent.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
At the police range, yes. Regular ranges, no.

+1  It's required at the LE range for our officers.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:36:23 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any common hunting round from any common hunter (30-06, 30-30, .270 etc) will go easily through body armor. Kind of ruins the point of wearing it, doesn't it?

not necessarily, if you're wearing ballistic plates.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top