Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2001 6:22:07 PM EDT
...  I have a Sterling that was given to me today by a good friend, but it hasn't had the easiest life.-- I know, I'm a lucky guy...  It hasn't been used too much, but moisture found its way onto the rifle.  There is a fair amount of surface rust that I have cleaned off, but this has left small pits in the exterior surface of the gun.  There are a few places on the exterior of the barrel, near the flash suppressor that it has started to "bubble" up.  Is there anything I can do to salvage this rifle?  I know I can't make it like new, but I am interested in minimizing the appearance of the pits(so it looks good) and further deterioration of the metal.  If you could help me out on this, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Bryan
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone???
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 7:45:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Try posting this in the Build it Yourself forum as the GD forum tends to drop
your post rather fast and focus more on the non-gun related topics.

Since the rifle was free it might be worth it for you to invest in a re-park or blue
by a reputable professional.

Otherwise you’re best bet would probably be steel wool and some sort of firearm
specif chemical rust remover or neutralizer.  Read the label and follow the
instructions.  Be sure to test it first and make sure it doesn’t remove or damage
the existing finish.  Watch it though, sometime you can do more damage than
good.

From there just keep it well oiled.

HTH

RK
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 8:17:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I don’t know quite what a Sterling rifle is (other than the subgun – though I do seem to recall semi-auto versions of it).

Anyway, I’d consider using Brownells Teflon/Moly Gun Finish on it.  This finish is something akin to paint with Teflon and moly lubricants in it.  Its thickness allows it to partially fill in pits – making them less noticeable.  You can get particulars on it from brownells.com.  They also sell lacquers and epoxy finishes that might work.  

Obviously you’ve got to totally remove the rust first.  Sandblasting might be the way to go.

While I’ve never done this with this finish, I suspect you could do a really good job by applying the finish, letting it cure, then cutting it down with wet and dry paper, and reapplying the finish.  In other words, building up the finish in the pits.  You might want to talk to the technical people at Brownells first if you want to try this.

If it is a subgun, heat might be an issue.  Black crinkle paint like used on automotive engines, might also work.

Good luck – sounds like an interesting project.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 4:53:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Try some 4/0 steel wool soaked with Hoppes #9. It will clean off the rust and won't harm the bluing.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I tried the crinkle paint idea on a mossberg 500. Seemed to work fine, but I dont know about long term since someone else had to have it and bought it out from under me. Worth a try! Damn sure covers pits!
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 8:02:45 PM EDT
[#7]

I assumed it was an AR-180.

RK

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
RK :

Opps - Brain hiccup!!  (also kinda forgot where I was)

At least I didn’t ask if it was in .25acp.
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:51:25 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]www.corrosionx.com[/url] try this on it. I have been using this product for 1 1/2 years now, it is the best. Just get regular corrosionx not one of their other products if you choose to buy it. I just got some more last week,I use it on everything made out of metal. It somehow electrically bonds to the metal. I would neutralize the rust and live with it, working on the imperfections might hurt the collector value of the piece.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 4:28:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Here's a tip for removing surface rust and I have found that it works well.Take an ordinary pencil and rub the tip on the area that you wish to remove the rust.It should work although I don't know what to do about the surface pitting.
Link Posted: 8/12/2001 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top