Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Happy anniversary Ed,

And thank you for all you have done, your contributions to this country don't go unnoticed. Especially by those of us here on the board. Too many who are born here take this gift for granted, it is a real credit to you that you can still, after all this time recognize what your coming here means to you. Sadly too many who have come recently don't remember, and even more sadly too many today don't care and never will.

If only a fraction of those coming here today had a grain of the integrity and honor that you do, there would be far fewer problems in this country, and so much less division amongst us all.

Again congratulations on your anniversary!!! Have a great day and enjoy!!!!...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:28:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Congratulations Ed

My day is May 15, 1972 late afternoon.

Like you I, landed in Miami International Airport aboard a National flight from San Francisco with my parents, brother and sister.  We landed with 3 suite cases and $400 in my father's pocket.  We spent 2 weeks at the Blue Star Motel on 51 street and Biscayne Blvd. while my father looked for a job and an apartment.  I still go by that model occasionally to keep me humble
My brother and I attended North Miami Elementary school and like you I didn't speak one word when I started.  I remember watching Electric Company on TV st school every morning.  My teacher, Mrs. Jensen, was a great teacher and a wonderful human being.  She spend an hour everyday after school teaching me English.  A lot of memories... some good and some not so good but it makes me who I am today.

Perhaps it explains why I love this country so much.  
To me, it is my home.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:28:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:36:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Glad you made it here Ed. Happy anniversary.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Those who have known oppression understand the value of freedom.
Those who have served to defend freedom understand it's cost.
Guys like Ed understand both.

Thanks Ed, and congratulations.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:43:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Bienvenido, hermano!

My parents arrived (seperately; they hadn't met yet) in 1959 and 1960.

They never looked back, learned the language as best they could, and got to work.

Dad (who had been the GM of Telemundo in Havana) started out scrubbing toilets in a pizza factory. Mom (who was a practicing dentist in Cuba and met Che when his merry band stormed through her town) started out as a seamstress, then went to dental school AGAIN (because they wouldn't accept her Cuban credentials).

I've always said I got here the easy way. I said "WHAAAA!" and I was here. Folks like you and my parents paved the way for us.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#7]
That gave me the chills.  I wish more Americans had the same outlook and respect for our country and it's citizens.  Those that don't, well...

Anyway, thanks for being a Great American and a good role model.  

--VT

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:01:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow!

I have to show this to my family, maybe they will understand what this site is all about.

Maybe.

We are honored by your family's presence!  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:04:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Mr. Avila,

Glad to have you with us for the last 44 years! At times I forget how lucky I am to be an American. I appreciate your reminder.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:11:43 AM EDT
[#11]
We are certainly glad you are here!

CRC
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:15:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Bravo Ed,

Now next time I meet up with you, I owe you the beer!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:18:07 AM EDT
[#13]

The family is waiting for Cuba to open up to vacation there.  Need some cigars.

A co-worker from Cuba, when the Soviet Union collapsed, said Castro will never change.  He sure was right.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:18:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for living the American dream.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Thank you for your service to OUR country Ed.

God bless you and your's.

Same here
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:24:28 AM EDT
[#16]

Sir,

Reading that gave the same goosebumps as hearing the National Anthem or seeing an Airforce jet "flyover" at a big event.  A true American success story.  

Best Regards, Bruce
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:27:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:28:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Thank you for your service to this great nation Ed Sr. , you have actively lived and breathed the American Dream. How so few can say such a thing, out of all the people who read and post here on this board.

To have earned and NOT been given that which others take for granted, to appreciate this freedom in the personal knowledge of what tyranny truly is.

Truly you can claim to be an American.

God Bless you and all like you Ed Sr.

Dram out
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for sharing that.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:30:32 AM EDT
[#20]
About all I can add to this thread is this....  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:32:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:32:58 AM EDT
[#23]

cheers to you friend

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:33:08 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I swear, EdSr is the only Cuban I know that gets sick smoking a cigar.

Amazing.

TRG

He's not much on land navigation either, from what I hear....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Happy anniversary!!!

Thank you for the great site, all the work you do for the hobby, and for being a great American.

I look at this country as my inheritance from our founding fathers. I'm happy to share the place with you and your family. It's our job to keep the place up and not let our retarded kin (liberals) ruin it for our kids.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:35:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:36:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I barely remember 1962. I was 2.

But the U.S. became a richer nation because your family came ashore that day so long ago Ed! Welcome, and congratulations!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#29]
This is a little late but.   to the U. S. A..  

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:59:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Ed, thanks for the reminder of why this country is so great. It is people like you who embrace this country's ideals that have made it so.

And its been 44 years since the seventh grade??!! Damn, you are still pretty spry for an old fart

<and NO, I don't want you for my combatives partner >
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm glad your parents decided to bring you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#32]
I am proud Lady Liberty took you and she looks up on you with Pride.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:30:39 AM EDT
[#33]
A men!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:37:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

It's people like you Ed, that make the United States of a America a great place.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:44:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Pleasure to have you here.. My parents came here in 65.

What amazes me is that people who immigrated here appreciate this country more than some of the people born here. They dont know how lucky they have it just being BORN here.

Ed, thanks for sharing your story.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

This is NOT about me.

Your right here's to your Father and Mother.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#37]
thanks Ed!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:16:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Every 60's era Cuban American that I have ever met have exhibited better American Patriotism and living the American Dream than most Americans. In fact one that I know puts most native born Americans to shame.

Here's to you Ed.

M4-AK
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:16:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Today is a landmark in my life.

44 years ago,I landed at Miami's International Airport with my father,step-mother,sister and brother.
My parents did not want me to be indoctrinated in communism,or more likely,to be thrown in jail for trying to overthrow Castro's government.
Our passports,upon arrival, were clearly stamped:PAROLEE as to our legal status.A clear reminder that we were here as guests of the good and kind citizens of the US.

We had lived through the Bay of Pigs invasion in April 1961, and had long before been  labeled anti-Castro.We were consequently, being watched by the "Neighborhood Committees for the Defense of the Revolution",which were nothing more than a bunch of pro-Castro neighbors who watched everyone and reported (to the government) on what went on on their block.
We had 2 of those ,one on each side of the street!.Always competing with each other for the "privilege" of turning a dissident neighbor to the authorities as proof of their loyalty to the government

I registered in school(7th grade,Citrus Grove,in the NW section of Miami) knowing no english.Every lesson had to be translated (with a dictionary) and then studied.The translation often making no sense. due to the various possible meaning of words, depending on the context of the sentence in which it was used.

I wanted to make a change in my life and to thank this great nation for giving us an opportunity to join the "melting pot" and become AMERICANS.What better way to do it that to kill some communists,our mortal enemies at that time?

Fast forward 44 yrs to today, and the best way I can put it is:

I thank God for His kindness,and to this great nation of ours:The United States of America,for opening its door in 1962 and for allowing us to be citizens of a true beacon of democracy and freedom in the world!

May we be able to bring our service men from overseas -both safe and soon- but not before we have accomplished our mission in putting down all attempts by insurgents/terrorists to impose their tyranic and sadistic will on anyone.

God Bless the USA

Ed,

Your story is very touching. My parents also came here separately in 1962 from Cuba. They didn't speak a word of English, but learned it, assimilated into society & are now as they put it "More American than Cuban"  They are both very, very proud & honored to be considered Americans & part of this great land. It's interesting how the vast majority of Cuban immigrants are extremely Conservative Republicans that appreciate this country immensely & how it helped them through the most difficult times in their lives. What makes it interesting is the fact that they are the largest minority in the Republican party, they don't blame the government or themselves for anything, or ask for handouts, they just get up & do it.  I guess it comes from fleeing communisim, after going through that what do you have to lose?  I'm not saying it because my parents are Cuban, but i have never seen a people so proud to be Americans.

Millions of Cubans came here & continue to come here, taking on all kinds of obstacles, looking for that beacon of freedom-America.

On behalf of my parents & all Cubans who have immigrated here i say thank you, thank you for helping them, for taking them in, for letting them be part of this great country.

Proud American son of Cuban parents.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:20:05 AM EDT
[#40]
My dad migrated here in 66' from PI; upon which he joined the United States Marine Corps.
Thru his and my mothers efforts I am here today, circa 1970.  

My thanks go out to my parents and Ed's.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#41]
Glad you are here Ed.  I just wish we could do something about that paper-hanging SOB in Havana.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:43:11 AM EDT
[#42]
I swear half this board must be Cuban and the other half Phillipino.

I'm thinking I need to get my lilly white anglo butt out for some sun.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I thank God for His kindness,and to this great nation of ours:The United States of America,for opening its door in 1962 and for allowing us to be citizens of a true beacon of democracy and freedom in the world!

Ain't God Good!

Congrats, Ed.

It's people like you that have made this country great.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I swear half this board must be Cuban and the other half Phillipino.

Thank JFK for one and the US Navy for the other.

I do everytime I see a gorgeous chica from Cuba or the P.I.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:50:36 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

44 years ago,I landed at Miami's International Airport with my father,step-mother,sister and brother.
My parents did not want me to be indoctrinated in communism,or more likely,to be thrown in jail for trying to overthrow Castro's government.
Our passports,upon arrival, were clearly stamped:PAROLEE as to our legal status.A clear reminder that we were here as guests of the good and kind citizens of the US.

We had lived through the Bay of Pigs invasion in April 1961, and had long before been  labeled anti-Castro.We were consequently, being watched by the "Neighborhood Committees for the Defense of the Revolution",which were nothing more than a bunch of pro-Castro neighbors who watched everyone and reported (to the government) on what went on on their block.
We had 2 of those ,one on each side of the street!.Always competing with each other for the "privilege" of turning a dissident neighbor to the authorities as proof of their loyalty to the government

I registered in school(7th grade,Citrus Grove,in the NW section of Miami) knowing no english.Every lesson had to be translated (with a dictionary) and then studied.The translation often making no sense. due to the various possible meaning of words, depending on the context of the sentence in which it was used.

I wanted to make a change in my life and to thank this great nation for giving us an opportunity to join the "melting pot" and become AMERICANS.What better way to do it that to kill some communists,our mortal enemies at that time?

Fast forward 44 yrs to today, and the best way I can put it is:

May we be able to bring our service men from overseas -both safe and soon- but not before we have accomplished our mission in putting down all attempts by insurgents/terrorists to impose their tyranic and sadistic will on anyone.

God Bless the USA

Thanks so much for your service, and for the site.

Bless you, Ed.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:50:44 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for having faith in our country and making it your own.  My grandfather's memoirs are entitled "We Are Americans"  As an immigrant, I'm sure you understand that.  Your service in the armed forces is much appreciated as well as your dedication to the second amendment through this site.  It's too bad more Americans "born here" do not understand the value of our freedoms and our country as you do, sir.

With that, I'll say:

Viva Avila!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#49]
Glad to have ya, Ed! You're proud to be an American and America is proud to hav eyou!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:57:09 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

<snip>

Which reminds me............ I've got some t-shirts I'd like you to look at:

che-mart.com/
(takes a bit to load)

P.S. My favorites are "American Revolutionary," "My Ultimate Goal," and "College Tuition."

BTW: "Thank you for your service."
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top