Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 5:54:06 AM EDT
I recently recieved 176 90% silver quarters(forgot dates). They were last valued at $.75 each. They are G to VG conditions. All are washingtons exept for 3 which are the standing liberty but they are very warn. Any help would be much appreciated.......
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:59:35 AM EDT
[#1]
A penny is worth 1 cent.
A nickel is worth 5 cents.
A dime is worth 10 cents.
A quarter is worth 25 cents.

(You asked for it.)  

If I ever notice I have a silver quarter, I always throw it in a jar in the bedroom, but I doubt I'll ever do anything with them.  I guess my kids can find out what they're worth some day.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:03:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
A penny is worth 1 cent.

(You asked for it.)  

If I ever notice I have a silver quarter, I always throw it in a jar in the bedroom, but I doubt I'll ever do anything with them.  I guess my kids can find out what they're worth some day.  

I think thats what happened here also. They were my great uncles and he passed them down to my mom along with a box of other stuff. She gave them to me to see what they were worth and if it was decent I will sell them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:06:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know.  I have a foot locker full of coins from all over the world, some from countries that don't evenexist anymore.  I have taken them some coin and card stores to find out if they have any value, and everyone just kinda stares at me blankly, so every time I move I am moving a couple hundred pounds of coins.

Dan

(My Great Uncle worked for NCR and traveled the world trying to sell cash registers and kept all the money he had when he came home---this would be pre-electric cash registers.)

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:06:46 AM EDT
[#4]
i have one of the miss print Wisconsin quarter.
wanna buy it?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i have one of the miss print Wisconsin quarter.
wanna buy it?

I am by no means a coin collector. I do however like unloading coins to make money
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am by no means a coin collector. I do however like unloading coins to make money

I'm with you on that  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:20:08 AM EDT
[#7]
I hear that the Wisconsin quarter has been going for $400 - $1500.

Hell if I can get $400 for a quarter
I can get a SIG Mosquito 22LR for a quarter.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:29:25 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I hear that the Wisconsin quarter has been going for $400 - $1500.

Hell if I can get $400 for a quarter
I can get a SIG Mosquito 22LR for a quarter.

Ya that would be very nice. Check ebay and yahoo. Alot depends on what type of error you have......
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:40:20 AM EDT
[#9]
This is the one I have.  It is in excellent condition.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:48:36 AM EDT
[#10]
www.pcgs.com/prices/

There you go.

Eric  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:03:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I recently recieved 176 90% silver quarters(forgot dates). They were last valued at $.75 each. They are G to VG conditions. All are washingtons exept for 3 which are the standing liberty but they are very warn. Any help would be much appreciated.......

They are not worth that much in BU (Brilliant Uncirculated) condition, to be honest with you. Its been a couple years since I was active in the hobby but at that time, everything was performing poorly with not much demand for modern stuff. Most silver was very cheap.

Theres history there, but value... it's always worth silver weight. definitely hang onto it.

Most quarters I've purchased have been under $5 for mint or uncirculated. Theres exceptions like rarer mint marks for certain years, but coins in good circulated condition are no longer very valuable in a numismatic sense, meaning not valuable as a minted coin because they're worn down, but still a precious metal and it'll never lose that value. Price of silver fluctuates but spot price is usually $5-ish per ounce. Maybe a bit more these days with the sunken dollar.

Why does condition matter so much? Simply because these are relatively new coins, and theres tons of them minted, thus many available in good conditions still. You can get exact mint numbers on every single quarter in your collection too, but... here's the kicker... the treasury numbers only account for what was made, not what was melted. Silver was once over $100 an ounce in the 60s, so back then and ever since, people have been melting massive amounts of Washingtons for their "melt value". You may find at some point you're holding $50 quarters, but I don't expect that to happen soon, beyond 20yrs perhaps.

For a 90% silver quarter to be worth $0.25 - the price for an ounce of silver would have to be $1.40 or so. It's not been nearly that low since 1967.

Going by year 2000 prices, I'd approximate that if you went to a coin shop, he'd offer you about $2.50-$3.50 per ounce. A generous offer would be $4.50 per ounce or so.  Weigh em and see what you've got based upon the current silver price.

According to this Silver is at a high right now. I don't think I'd sell, no I definitely would'nt sell... but it would be quite interesting to see what kind of offers you could get.

If you want to go through your quarters one by one, here's a general price guide that'll help you -
Washingtons
You can get much better price guides, the blue book or the red book of coin prices available at most any large bookstore. Both books are good, but dealers use blue.

Avoid handling them, put them in protectors, and into an album sorted by year. Don't let them get worse than what they already are, since value of what you have there is not going to decrease, but very possibly will increase greatly over 10-20 years.

Hope I helped some?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:53:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Yep makes alot of sense. I didnt know the market was down so much. I will consider hanging on to them unless I get a good offer. I figured they are only worth what silver is since none are real gems. We also have alot of canadian dollars that are 80-90% silver, mercury silver dimes, and other silvers.

Thanks for the input and guide. Much appreciated
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:00:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:50:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted: 176 90% silver quarters

So thats $44.00 face value, and going by the site hanau posted...
To buy what you have there would cost $313.72
They'd buy it for $265.32

So compared to last estimate ($0.75ea) thats $132,
compared to $313.72 in how many years? nice jump for a bag of old quarters eh?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted: 176 90% silver quarters

So thats $44.00 face value, and going by the site hanau posted...
To buy what you have there would cost $313.72
They'd buy it for $265.32

So compared to last estimate ($0.75ea) thats $132,
compared to $313.72 in how many years? nice jump for a bag of old quarters eh?

Thats pretty damn sweet. I wish I knew they would keep climbing.(im sure they will but at what rate) Like I said we do have a ton more from my great uncle so maybe cash some in now and a little later?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:59:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A penny is worth 1 cent.

(You asked for it.)  

Interesting, I never even knew there was such a thing.  I have saved my packet change for the past couple of years so that I can go threw all of them someday and see if I have anything interesting.  This will definitely make the list.  One question though.  What are the time periods for silver quarters?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:27:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Checked it out. He would only do 4x face value. I declined and am selling them on ebay for more. They are just commons some are in decent condition but for the most part they are good for the silver value that they hold.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:09:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:02:13 PM EDT
[#19]
looks as if the price is going up good I should hang onto them but need the money now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top