Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/31/2006 2:39:17 AM EDT
I am going to purchase a threaded G19 barrel and it is in the stainless finish.

I want it to have the covert-like look to it, so What method would you use to
re-finish it?

I am looking at just plain ol' blueing..........is that the way to go or is there another
way you guys would reccomend me using?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:42:53 AM EDT
Glocks use a tenifer finish on their metal parts... you might look into having that done.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:48:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:
Glocks use a tenifer finish on their metal parts... you might look into having that done.

From the "It must be true, because I read it on the Internet" file: Because of EPA rules Tenifer process may not be legally done in the USA.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:17:16 AM EDT
get a Jarvis.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:35:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 3:39:00 AM EDT by Makarov]
If it is truly "Stainless Steel" (not simply "in the white") then it probably will not take a traditional gun blue. I have had very good results with "Aluma-Hyde" from Brownell's when used on SS. I clean the parts with denatured alcohol first then hit the parts with a heat gun for a few seconds (not to heat the parts but to dry any remaining alcohol and get the part just above room temp so I don't trap moisture between the finish and the metal. Apply the "Aluma-Hyde" as directed on the can, let it fully cure (I give it a week) and you should be good to go. I have used this product on a SS Mini-30 and a SS AR barrel. Both still look sharp.

ETA:
I just re-read your post. "Aluma-Hyde" is a paint so I don't know how well it would work on threads if you actually intended to install (and remove) a legal supressor or fake can, MB, etc.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:39:54 AM EDT
Shoot it until the powder burns stain it black. Anything else is not manly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:43:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 3:43:45 AM EDT by glklvr]

Originally Posted By GhostRing:
get a Jarvis.

Just to let you know, Jarvis G19 1/2x28 threaded barrels are backordered at least eight weeks.

Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:14:49 AM EDT

Glock doesn't make stainless barrels in the white. It must be an aftermarket barrel.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:25:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cabby:

From the "It must be true, because I read it on the Internet" file: Because of EPA rules Tenifer process may not be legally done in the USA.

It is done in the US but under a differnet name - Melonite. It is also known as Salt Bath Nitriding.

finishing.com

Burlington Engineering

SUPERIOR SHOT PEENING, INC.

Burlington has done firearms in the past and should be able to help you out.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:27:17 AM EDT
I've seen good results using Caswell's 'Stainless Steel Blackener 370', about $21 a pint.

Bottom of the list; www.caswellplating.com/kits/black.htm

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:27:50 AM EDT
Get a Sharpie.
Top Top