Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 11:04:13 PM EDT
Frankly, I think the desert Marpat is better for Iraq and Afghanistan.  In my opinion the the ACU is too green to be effective camo. Although, I do like the ACU upgrades like the collar, knee and elbow pads, etc.  The ultimate bdu would be Marpat with ACU upgrades.

What do you all think?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My MARPAT cammies had little "pockets" so you could slide padding in.  Although I think the aftermarket pads that go outside the cammies would work better anyways.  I don't have any experience on the collar thingy.  My personal opinion is desert MARPAT for Iraq.  I've never been to 'Stan.

-Smalls
Sgt. of Marines
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:13:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for you reply and thank you for your service.

-Jason M
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:46:59 PM EDT
[#3]
ACU is considered to be a lot more comfortable than the DCUs they replaced. I don't know how much more comfortable MARPAT cammies are over DCUs.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
This thread is useless without pic!!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
IBTP
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:19:25 AM EDT
[#6]
In Iraq now, the DCU is a far better match to the environment, the ACU is an upgrade in function. One of the worst mistakes you can make in camoflauge is to be darker than your environment, the ACU makes you darker than the walls and sand. The Marine Marpat is just about perfect in color, the Army should have followed suit with two seperate uniforms, one for the desert, one woodland. Asking for one uniform to work in both environments is a stretch. Just my .02.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:21:35 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
This thread is useless without pic!!!!

There is a pic, but its camo, so you cant see it...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:24:34 AM EDT
[#8]
The word MARPAT has been used a total of 6 times in the thread...  I thought we weren't allowed to use that word around here anymore.

Aaaaaahhhhhhhh I'm tellin'!  Where's the closest hall monitor?
~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Although, I do like the ACU upgrades like the collar, knee and elbow pads, etc.  The ultimate bdu would be Marpat with ACU upgrades.

as said above, the marpats have the same pockets for the padding. also, you CAN stand the collar up on the marpats, that's why the points are rounded. the marine corps tested the stand up collar but found there was a problem with chafing so they canc'd it for regular wear. the bi-swing back on the acu's is an excellent feature and should be adopted by the corps immediately. but that's about it. the velcro, the pen pocket on the lower sleeve, the pocket on the calf, the ZIPPER??? ugh, they can keep that silly ass crap!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Multi-Cam - beats 'em all.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:51:05 AM EDT
[#11]
My guess is that 98% of the people posting here, havent seen either in 'Stan or Iraq.

I think the Marines camo is a bit darker than everything around it.  The ACU's tan and grey go well with the sand/desert.  And the first versions were a very light blue, newer versions are more green.

I think the Marines camo pattern or something like it, (not blue or green) with the Army ACU would be good.  But the Army ACU is an all-environment uniform....not a desert-uni like the Marines.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:52:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Although, I do like the ACU upgrades like the collar, knee and elbow pads, etc.  The ultimate bdu would be Marpat with ACU upgrades.

as said above, the marpats have the same pockets for the padding. also, you CAN stand the collar up on the marpats, that's why the points are rounded. the marine corps tested the stand up collar but found there was a problem with chafing so they canc'd it for regular wear. the bi-swing back on the acu's is an excellent feature and should be adopted by the corps immediately. but that's about it. the velcro, the pen pocket on the lower sleeve, the pocket on the calf, the ZIPPER??? ugh, they can keep that silly ass crap!

The zipper, to me, kinda makes sense.  It should last a lot longer than the buttons that fall off when you need them most.  Also, one would think it keeps sand out of your junk a lot better than the buttons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top