BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 9:57:28 PM EDT
Immigration Under the Gold Dome
Denis O'Hayer
Web Editor: Michael King
1/30/2006
www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=75403
With nearly a quarter of this year's state legislative session already over, state lawmakers are still struggling with an issue voters want them to tackle -- illegal immigration.

North Cobb High eleventh grader Cesar Pastrana bluntly told U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson border patrols look to him like a hunt.

“Some of my family and my friends are illegal immigrants in this country, and from what I've seen on TV, some of them are being shot,” Pastrana said. “A pretty harsh way to keep them from coming in.”
(uh, huh......I wonder if he wants to point out any SPECIFIC examples of illegals being shot?)

Political lobbyist Bay Buchanan told her fellow conservatives that efforts to stop illegal immigration are not harsh enough.

“We believe in the rule of law in this country, and we don't have it now. And it's impacting our families, our communities, our education, our health care,” Buchanan said.
State lawmakers have proposed at least 15 measures, from denying illegal immigrants any state benefits, to restricting access to higher education.

But Republican leaders haven't decided which bills to move.

The volume of bills is one GOP problem. A more important factor is that Republicans themselves disagree on the major questions.

Buchanan says that employers who don’t check the status of workers should be punished -- something House speaker Glenn Richardson strongly opposes.

“No, I’m not going to just saddle an employer and say it's the employer's fault. It’s a societal problem. We're going to have to decide how we proceed,” Richardson said.

“You put a couple of executives behind bars, and I'll guarantee you -- it'll take care of the problem real fast,” Buchanan said.

The larger question is whether any stat action will solve the complex problem.

President Bush has proposed a guest worker program to address the problem. But some of his fellow Republicans insist that the program amounts to amnesty for people who have entered the country illegally.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:25:41 PM EDT
[#1]

“No, I’m not going to just saddle an employer and say it's the employer's fault. It’s a societal problem. We're going to have to decide how we proceed,” Richardson said.

Is that how it usually works? They don't want to blame anyone for breaking laws?

I DIDN'T THINK SO
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Buchanan warned people of this illegal invasion in the 80's if I remember right. The News Media had a field day with calling him a racist. He has some good ideas when it comes to protecting our southern border. I agreed with him then and I agree with him now. We need leaders in congress now not politicians who flatten people to get to a camera and a five second sound bite.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
How many monkeys does it take to fuck a football??
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top