Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/30/2006 9:54:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 9:56:02 PM EDT by swingset]
I'm in the printing industry (on the electronic prepress end), and unfortunately Central Ohio has lost most of its better printing industry jobs....attrition because of large co. buyouts, small shops going under, etc. The whole industry's changing, and for the worse.

I'm really needing to find another job or a career change, and I realize I might have to relocate to do it. So, after 2 months of extensive job searching, I have found 3 very good jobs.....all of which are in the worst possible locations, California, DC and NY. I'd prefer to not live in a communist country, thanks.

I've got 18 years in, and a real solid resume, so that's not an issue. It seems the industry is clustering around the blue states, damnit. I know if I keep looking, I can find something in a desirable area, but no luck yet.

I'm not desperate, yet, but I figure I've got another year before my shop goes kaput and I need to get prepared. I'm looking for advice, help on relocating and finding a job out of my state, something I've never had to do....and this means uprooting family and kids, selling house, etc.

Any advice about the pitfalls, good sites to check out, etc. I'd sure appreciate it. I know other people have done it, and I'd like to know how to get my wheels rolling without making stupid mistakes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:58:46 PM EDT
Desperation has begun to set in here. I feel your pain.

I wish I could help.
Best of luck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:00:09 PM EDT
Wisconsin has a pretty good printing climate (quad graphics, etc).

By the time you're ready to move on, it may even turn into a red state.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:56:14 PM EDT
workin a press sounds like a boring job , start looking in other fields .

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:00:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 688manuvering:
workin a press sounds like a boring job , start looking in other fields .

I don't work on a press, I work in the computer pre-press, assembling jobs, making them ready for print. It's actually quite challenging and fast paced - tho I don't know about the future of it. In 10 years it might be very different with hi-speed net and customer submitted jobs.

I'd be happy to look in other fields, but I have been a printer all my adult life and it's hard to move laterally without the resume to back it up.....and if you have a wife and child counting on you, you know what it's like to need your paycheck to remain somewhat intact.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:10:39 AM EDT
i know what your talkin about , i started from scratch at 38 and after a short stint of takin care of my father until he died i started over again at 44 . heck all that and i still dont know how to spell manuvering . it will all work out if you work at it .

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:35:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 688manuvering:
it will all work out if you work at it .

That's my plan.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:35:48 AM EDT
If you work in D.C. you can live in Virginia, and we have very little gun laws.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:38:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 12:40:26 AM EDT by Noname]

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:40:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 12:45:10 AM EDT by LS]
If you are thinking about a whole new career how about railroading, you don't need any experience, they train you.
it is terrible hours on call 24/7 but the pay is good. last year in Nebraska we hired about 100 guys to be conductors and will probably hire that many this year. it is a very independant job. you don't have a boss looking over your shoulder.
and it is way cheap to live in Nebraska and I forgot excellent healthcare and retirement.
just a thought.

I see you have a black lab, I have two yellows and we have hunt tests and field trials in the summer and hammer the ducks,geese,turkey,deer inthe winter. I have three goose pits and two duck blinds 5 minutes from my house on the platte river.

hardly any people or crime here. the only places I've been that is better were WYO and Montana
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:37:08 AM EDT
Swingset your skillset makes you attractive to the companies that produce/manufacture/distribute the equipment you work with. Have you considered tossing your resume` at them?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:47:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SouthHoof:
Swingset your skillset makes you attractive to the companies that produce/manufacture/distribute the equipment you work with. Have you considered tossing your resume` at them?

I've given that some thought too....looking into that.

2 of the vendors we do business with are prospects, however it's almost comically bad geography so far - one is in New Jersey, one is in California. FUCK.

Damn, did I pick the wrong industry or what?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:57:47 AM EDT
Biotech - the company I work for hires entry level manufacturing people at very good salaries and benefits.

relocation to RI would be necessary

IM me for details
Top Top