Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 5:51:04 PM EDT
Hey, folks.

I've tried making SteyrAUG's "Lose The Panties Shrimp Scampi."  I've been craving some chili.  Anyone have any great recipes?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:00:25 PM EDT
[#1]
SEARCH is your friend.  There are at least 3 threads that will come up.  Do it man.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:05:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Just make sure you put beans in it.  It isnt Chili if it doesnt have beans.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:08:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

+1

Its just a stew if theres no beans
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I bet you can find a good one on how to make chili out of ARF members if you are stuck in a boat in the middle of a lake.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

....and don't forget the macaroni, and crush a handful of crackers in it.....and gosh better throw some shredded cheese. Oops, I forgot add some sour cream too.....or it just ain't chili
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:01:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bet you can find a good one on how to make chili out of ARF members if you are stuck in a boat in the middle of a lake.

That thread is great.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Beans dont belong in chili. Not in Oklahoma, at least. Nothing will get you scorned faster than beans inthe chili.

Me, I use nithing but ground Turkey, Rotel, Willimas Chili seasoning, chili powder, jalapenos, garlic, Tony Chacheres, and tomatoes. Never had a complaint yet. The key is to never make less than 4 pounds at a time.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:11:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Take one can Hormel Chunky Chile

Empty into frying pan.  Add 1/2 cup Frank's red hot sauce.  Add 1/4 cup cheyenne pepper.  Throw in chopped jalepenos if you can.

Mix and simmer until it is a nice sludge.  Enjoy on nachos, tortillas, spoons, etc.

Takes about 15 minutes and costs like $4.00 tops.  Hurray for being poor.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
SEARCH is your friend.  There are at least 3 threads that will come up.  Do it man.

Did a three month search.  

ETA:  I did see the Chili Mac thread and ran screaming.  I stand corrected.  

By the by, I'm in the pro-bean camp.  Macaroni is another matter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#10]
there were two visible using the word chilli and searching all forums.  There were 4 or 5 when using the work chilli to search the archives.  Dont limit your search to a specific forum.  Use the search all forums option.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:00:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Its just a stew if theres no beans

+2
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use rice, not macaroni, unless Im making chili mac.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:07:32 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I use rice, not macaroni, unless Im making chili mac.

Interesting.  I might have to give that a try.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:15:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Another member of the pro bean camp. I'd tell you my chili recipe but then I'd have to kill you.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Chili has beans.  My chili also has onions, green peppers (and sometimes red peppers, and sometimes pickled peppers to boot.)

What you do, you take three or four pounds of your favorite red meat (I prefer venison), either ground or cut into small pieces(or a mix of both).  

Brown meat in a big f-ing vat, then cover with beer (cheap beer works fine, I usually use National Bohemian, which is cheaper yet better tasting than Bud or Coors- MGD is still better than all of these).  Pour in two pounds or so of tomatoes, I get the diced-in-a-can kind.  Chop and add a whole head and a half of garlic.  Pour in generous amounts of Adobo, chili powder, cumin and some cilantro (cilantro is one of absolute favorite herbs).  Maybe some black pepper or cayenne pepper as well.  Simmer for 1-1.5 hrs.  

Add five or six pounds of beans, I like an even mix of kidney and black beans.  Keep it simmering for another 10 min or so, then add a pound of chopped onion.

Ten minutes after that, add a pound or so of chopped green and/or red peppers.  Continue to simmer until the peppers and onions are to the desired level of crispness.

Of course, one of the keys is to keep monitoring the chili as it simmers, and add keep tasting, adding spices where you need to.  As for adding heat, I use Dave's Insanity Sauce, a shotglass worth in the above recipe will make it too spicy for most people (but fuck 'em, I made the batch for me).  So add heat however you think you need to for the proper burn.

Chili is easy as hell to make, I just found that 'recipe' while screwing about with trying to make chili, and it turned out so well I keep the general idea in mind for my subsequent batches..
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:49:46 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Beans dont belong in chili. Not in Oklahoma, at least. Nothing will get you scorned faster than beans inthe chili.

Me, I use nithing but ground Turkey, Rotel, Willimas Chili seasoning, chili powder, jalapenos, garlic, Tony Chacheres, and tomatoes. Never had a complaint yet. The key is to never make less than 4 pounds at a time.

Turkey doesn't belong in chili, either, herr hypocrite.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:53:19 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hey, folks.

I've tried making SteyrAUG's "Lose The Panties Shrimp Scampi."  I've been craving some chili.  Anyone have any great recipes?

This is ghetto but get a McCormick Chili mix. Use all the ingredients listed except use cubed-pieces of steak instead of ground beef. Cut a pound of steak into small cubes. Brown it as you would ground beef. Proceed with the directions on the package.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Turkey doesn't belong in chili, either, herr hypocrite

I know it doesnt, but my gut and my cholestorol seem to think it should.

When Im feeling frisky, or just dont care, I use a combo of 2lb Ground Chuck, and 2lbs spicy pork sausage. Still, no beans.

I love beans, and I love Chili, just not together.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:26:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Coolio's chili recipe:

one 24oz. can diced tomatos
one 15oz. can dark red kidney beans (I like Bush's)
one 15oz. can black beans (Bush's)
one small can sweet corn (green Giant)
one small can tomato paste (without any seasoning; garlic, etc.)
one medium to large sweet onion, chopped coarse (preferably Vidalia when in season)
two jalapeno peppers, chopped fine*
OR
one jalapeno pepper plus one little round yellow hot pepper and a couple of little red hot peppers, chopped fine*
* you can add more hot peppers to taste. I make my chili pretty mild because my stomach won't handle hot food anymore.
two "long" hot peppers (the mild kind)
one Cubanelle pepper, chopped coarse
OR
1/2 green pepper, chopped coarse
two or three tablespoons chili powder
two cups water

Dump all of the above ingredients into a 2 gallon pot and heat.
While that's happening:

one and one quarter lbs lean stew meat, chopped coarse (or get the butcher to do it for you)
one to one and a quarter lbs lean ground sirloin (90% or better)
Put the meat into a large frying pan and brown until most of the liquid is gone.
Then add it into the two gallon pot with all the other ingredients.
Simmer for about one hour, stirring occassionally.
Serve.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
...2lbs spicy pork sausage...

That sounds good.  I may try some chorizo in the mix.  I've always done beans, but I may have to try it sans beans to see what you folks are talking about.  I may have to cut back some of these recipes.  I only ever cook for two.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top