Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 4:43:12 PM EDT
Pennsylvania (Santorum-R) - Numerous polls show Sen. Rick Santorum (R) trailing his likely challenger, state Treasurer Bob Casey (D). A recent Quinnipiac University poll shows Casey at 52% and Santorum at 34%. The poll also shows Casey earning the support of 22% of Republicans, a sign that Santorum's high-profile neoconservative views are beginning to alienate party moderates. College professor Chuck Pennacchio (D) and attorney Alan Sandals (D) are also running. Chess instructor Dave Baker is running for the Greens. Despite the lopsided poll numbers, this race is a toss up. Oct. 9
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:51:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably cause Casey is a more moderate Democrat than most Dems.  He's religious which helps.  Plus PA is a Dem State.  Plus he has name recognition.

Not saying I'd vote for him, but just to throw some thoughts out there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:54:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Some people are quick to defame him. Just Google "Santorum" and hit "I'm Feeeling Lucky".
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:55:01 PM EDT
[#3]
That's what I get too.

They're making a big deal of his opposition to abortion.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:57:29 PM EDT
[#4]
PA is a strange state.  Wedged between NY, NJ, and MD, so it's sure to have it's share of loonies.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:36:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Most of the state is (R), except for Philly and Pittsburg.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:50:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

So then whats with the huge support of Casey?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
PA is a Dem State

It pains me everytime I hear that....while the areas around the big cities are typical liberal enclaves, most of our state is fairly rural, and regionally conservative. The problem with PA, like America in general, is that although the majority of the land mass is represented by conservatives, the population density coincides with those damn city liberals. PA's gun laws are pretty far from what one might expect in a 'Dem state'...and I will most likely remain a resident as long as that remains the case.

Having the experience of being a former PRNJ resident, there is a big difference between that type of democrat ruled police state, and PA which is still a decent place that happens to be governed by a democrat.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
I suspect media cheerleading for Casey. There were polls that showed Kerry leading Bush by a landslide also.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Because Rick Santorum is a douchebag.

He's one of the most liberal RINOs in congress.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:48:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

You obviously have no clue about Santorum's stance on major issues.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You are ignorant.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:56:27 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

???? Are we talking about the same Rick Santorum?  Hardly a RINO.  Get your facts straight there Tex.

FB
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

American Conservative Union rating:

Senator Rick SANTORUM (R)
Pennsylvania
2004 Score - 96
Previous Year's Score - 90
Lifetime Score - 87
Years of Service - 14
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:04:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What planet are you on?

Santorum is so far right even I have a bone to pick with him.

- BG
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:17:52 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
PA is a strange state.  Wedged between NY, NJ, and MD, so it's sure to have it's share of loonies.

Yea, alot of them live in moved to the poconos,  drive two hours to work every day, and have their nose so far in the air they need a beacon.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:19:01 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

???? Are we talking about the same Rick Santorum?  Hardly a RINO.  Get your facts straight there Tex.

FB

+1
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:07:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
PA is a Dem State

It pains me everytime I hear that....while the areas around the big cities are typical liberal enclaves, most of our state is fairly rural, and regionally conservative. The problem with PA, like America in general, is that although the majority of the land mass is represented by conservatives, the population density coincides with those damn city liberals. PA's gun laws are pretty far from what one might expect in a 'Dem state'...and I will most likely remain a resident as long as that remains the case.

Having the experience of being a former PRNJ resident, there is a big difference between that type of democrat ruled police state, and PA which is still a decent place that happens to be governed by a democrat.

Good post, macro.

Now do me and CRC a favor and explain this Casey thing.  I don't get it either; this fascination Pennsylvanians have with the Caseys.  Is it purely name recognition?  I've never understood it.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:20:02 AM EDT
[#18]
I grew up in PA.  My wife and I are both from there and have family there.  There are ALOT of people in PA who vote for Democrats because "that's what they've always done."  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Yeah. Look at the voting demographics. Typical minority voting patterns in large cities overwelming the rest of the state. Can we say 'New Yawk'
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Now do me and CRC a favor and explain this Casey thing.  I don't get it either; this fascination Pennsylvanians have with the Caseys.  Is it purely name recognition?  I've never understood it.

I'd have addressed it in my earlier post had I been able to. I am not facinated with Casey. Frankly, Im not in the least bit interested in him. That said, name recognition, while a proven factor in electibility, is a poor indicator of ability to lead. I have no idea what people see in him, if in fact they do see something in him as the polls suggests. I would offer this, turning an election into a popularity contest is a sure way to may things worse...not better.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:29:16 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd have addressed it in my earlier post had I been able to. I am not facinated with Casey. Frankly, Im not in the least bit interested in him. That said, name recognition, while a proven factor in electibility, is a poor indicator of ability to lead. I have no idea what people see in him, if in fact they do see something in him as the polls suggests. I would offer this, turning an election into a popularity contest is a sure way to may things worse...not better.

Yup.  We've done THAT before.
Exhibit A: Ed Rendell.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:32:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

You are thinking of Arlen Spectar.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:33:43 AM EDT
[#23]
texas_mustang_01: are you sure you aren't thinking about Arlen Spector?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:38:48 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm gonna move down there and help the votes go the correct direction.
NY is a lost cause, I believe PA is my best option for freedom.

You guys got some extra farmland for a Pro-2A NY'er?
I only need enough room for a .50cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top