Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm. . time for a new dry-fire routine: rack the slide 18 or 20 times. . .  click! rack the slide again, 18 or 20 times. . . click!

Glad nobody got hurt.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
WOW I am a big glock guy but my house gun is a beretta 92 with the safety on
Im a bit out of sorts when I first wake up
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:51:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Mines a Beretta 92 with the safety off, but I don't sleep with it under my pillow
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Mines a Beretta 92 with the safety off, but I don't sleep with it under my pillow

Mine is.....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:00:47 PM EDT
[#5]
there's a lot of good reasons to not sleep with  gun.

There have been plenty of times I have awakened completely disoriented, no clue where I am or who I am, or what planet I was on.  This only lasts for a few seconds, and it dosen't happen on a regular basis.  I would want to have a second step between sleep and being able to fire.  

When I was in high school I used to have to hide the alarm clock in a different place every night.  If I didn't, I could turn it off while still sleeping and fall back into bed.  Hiding it made me transition to concsious thought.  There is that goofy almost awake period, maybe still dreaming, that I think is probably the most dangerous.

I don't think a holster or a 1911 type safety will make that much difference either.  If you drill and practice enough, drawing and dropping the safety are part of firing.  If I'm waking from a particularly vivid dream about being attacked, and the weapon is at hand, bad things could happen.

My kids have scared the crap out of me, waking me up from a distance of about six inches from my face, usually from some middle of the night crisis( missing blanky,stuffed animal, or potty accident), from the deepest sleep.  The thought of even covering one of them with my muzzle, even for a nano-second, is almost too grusome  to imagine.

My junk is accessable, but I have to be out of bed, and move in a purposeful direction to get it.  The dog will have to provide me warning time to get that far.  (that's why I have a dog)

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:02:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine's in a holster for that very reason.  Drawing from a holster is not natural, unless the holster is on your person.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mine is.....

Mine's ?

Sorry, I was thinking about........

THE FRIGGIN MINES WE NEED ON THE BORDER, HEH

eta: the spell nazi-fu is strong with this one........
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine is

in the little safe 2 steps away with his friend here

the 92 is in the safe in the garage.  I think that's the right priority order.

Probably isn't a factor now, but when you have kids having a loaded gun to easily accessible to you or them is a risk most feel is a little too much.  You'ld be surprised what you can sleep through or dream about doing and be doing something. I slep through the San Fernando earthquake but dreamed that my scout buddies were dragging me and my sleeping bag someplace.

Now when I am at home I can sleep through just about anything, because between 3 kids, two dogs, a wife and sometimes working late second or third shifts I have taught myself to sleep through just about anything.  But on trips, camping, etc, I revert back to military days and I am a ridiculously light sleeper.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:54:39 PM EDT
[#9]
All the more reason to keep a pump shotgun propped in the corner, safety on, mag full, chamber empty.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:57:22 PM EDT
[#10]
glad to hear no one got an extra orifice.

and now for the smartass answer:

*cough*external safety*cough*
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:08:51 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Well, I had my first accidental discharge last night.  Just before I went to bed last night I was doing some dry-firing with my Glock to get my trigger squeeze more smooth...  Those of you who are familiar with Glocks know that when you pull the trigger on an empty chamber, the trigger locks back and you have to rack the slide to get it forward again.  Well, I did that for a little while -aim, shoot, rack the slide 3 or 4 times (I do it a few times just to be extra sure).  Now, the weird part is this.  

I load the gun back up and go to sleep with it next to me just as I do every single night.  Sometime in the night I'm awaken by a loud BOOM.  My ears are ringing and adrenaline is pumping through my body.  I'm laying there with my gun in my hand and I have no fucking clue what's going on.  After a minute or two I turn on the light and look around on the bed.  I look more closely and there's a hole clear through my mattress and out through the wall.  Well, I've apparently pulled the trigger in my sleep.  That's not even the best part, I look closer and there are three bullets in a neat little pile on the bed.  Apparently while I was asleep I racked the slide 3 times then pulled the trigger...just as I do when I dry fire...

Aside from a bit of hearing loss for most of the day, everything is fine.  Having a 9mm go off about a foot from your head tends to do that.  Thankfully, no one was hurt.  That could've easily turned out differently had I not shot it downward.  But anyways, I always felt pretty safe having a gun next to me while I sleep but I think I've changed my mind now.  Just something to think about for those of you who keep your firearms nearby while you're asleep.  You never know what you might do in your sleep.

I've done the same thing as well. Luckily the apartment complex that I lived in had a brick wall(no penetration). I used to keep my ppk in a holster between the wall and the bed. Well, I disovered that I sleepwalk. One afternoon, as I was taking a nap, I guess I unholstered the ppk, clicked the safety, and then fired it into the wall. There was a hole at an angle straight through my mattress into the wall. It scared the shit out of me. Well, now my firearms are placed a short distance away, instead of right next to me.

ETA: Also, another thing that is scary was the angle of the gun when I woke up. The slide was close enough to almost smack me directly in the eye.  I'm extremely lucky no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:16:21 AM EDT
[#12]
You'd be a freakin MORON not to go out and immediately purchase a GunVault .

Takes fine motor skills to open....

Glad no one got hurt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:53:51 AM EDT
[#13]
 WOW.....I am glad everything turned out for the better. I have always wondered if this was possible because every now and then I will go nuts in my sleep and start acting out dreams or fumblinig around the house only to wake up wondering what the hell is going on...it is VERY rare but it does happen.  I always keep my bedside 1911 or HP in a thumbreak holster and position it so that it isn't TOO easy of a grab....for this very reason.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:11:50 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
If that really happened, you have solid brass ones to admit it.

For God sake, get yourself a small digital safe.

You are a danger to yourself and anyone who is unwise enough to spend the night, or live near you.

Seriously, get a safe.

Good advice.

I second the Gunvault.  You can be in it in under 2 seconds.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:10:55 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
My junk is accessable, but I have to be out of bed, and move in a purposeful direction to get it.  The dog will have to provide me warning time to get that far.  (that's why I have a dog)

My junk is accessible as well.  It never leaves my person though.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Posts like these make the Antis think that all gun owners should have their guns locked up in a safe with a gun lock through the trigger guards at all times.

Thank the Lord no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
All the more reason to keep a pump shotgun propped in the corner, safety on, mag full, chamber empty.

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:25:07 AM EDT
[#18]
I believe you because I'm a sleep walker.  Many years ago, I "awoke" as I was unzipping my shotgun from its case.   I still have no idea what I was thinking, but I assume it was a dream.

I always keep the pistol several steps away and the shotgun unchambered in the closet.

dk
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:30:00 AM EDT
[#19]
ANY gun could have this happen - you sleep shoot like you train!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Probably isn't a factor now, but when you have kids having a loaded gun to easily accessible to you or them is a risk most feel is a little too much.  

Good point.

I have little kids, and a GunVault by the bed.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Damn. Glad you're OK.

If you think your sleep patterns might allow something like this happening again, it would be a great idea to consider one of these:

I'm guessing it would be very difficult, if not impossible, to go through the sequence required to open the safe and still be asleep.

Again, glad nobody got hurt.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:34:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Glad you're allright.

I don't keep a gun under my pillow for that reason, but if you so desire, have at it.

+1.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:31:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Hmmm.. these posts have me thinking.
What about an easy access pistol box that is wired to a very loud alarm that will sound whenever it is opened. That ought to wake a sleep gunner before he/she gets too twitchy with the trigger finger. Maybe a keyed disconnect with the key hidden, that would still give someone the option to get to the gun quietly if neccesary as long as the extra steps to get the key are taken which would hopefully require conscious thought.

Just an idea.....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Regarding the Gunvault, buy the Multi Deluxe.  It has an external power supply (in addition to batteries) which makes it more reliable in my opinion.  It's not much more $$$, but well worth it.

The first one I purchased (standard) required almost monthly battery changes.  If you didn't change the batteries it became a useless piece of crap that had to be opened by the key rather than the push button code.  Not good when relied on as a quick access safe.  I have the external power supply for my Multi Deluxe running off the same UPS as my computer, so effectively it is always online.

The deluxe also has a tiny, but effective light which turns on when the door is opened.  I think the Multi Deluxe is a good value.  End of endorsement.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad your ok, its been a few nights, your still with us right ?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:27:25 PM EDT
[#27]
LOL  Yeah, I'm still here.  I'm gonna try to get some pics up within the next couple of days.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:41:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Regarding the Gunvault, buy the Multi Deluxe.  It has an external power supply (in addition to batteries) which makes it more reliable in my opinion.  It's not much more $$$, but well worth it.

The first one I purchased (standard) required almost monthly battery changes.  If you didn't change the batteries it became a useless piece of crap that had to be opened by the key rather than the push button code.  Not good when relied on as a quick access safe.  I have the external power supply for my Multi Deluxe running off the same UPS as my computer, so effectively it is always online.

The deluxe also has a tiny, but effective light which turns on when the door is opened.  I think the Multi Deluxe is a good value.  End of endorsement.

Really?  I have a $60 handgun safe from Walmart that has been running on 1 set of batteries for over 1 1/2 years now.  Has never failed to open and will beep when the batteries are low.  Seems like a pretty good deal by comparison.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:42:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Ears still ringing?
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top