Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/30/2006 8:29:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:35:29 AM EDT
[#1]

I'm pretty sure this is a dupe, but I never listened to it the first time around. WOW. That's not just amazing one-handed, it's pretty damn good in and of itself!

That's funky like nine cans 'o shavin' powder.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Tag for home computer
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm pretty sure this is a dupe, but I never listened to it the first time around. WOW. That's not just amazing one-handed, it's pretty damn good in and of itself!

That's funky like nine cans 'o shavin' powder.

I wish I could play that well with TWO hands.....

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#5]
This had better not be another masturbation thread.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This had better not be another masturbation thread.

I thought it was going to be a 'musical masturbation' thread ("ooh, look at me, I can play with one hand...").

Then I saw that he's not playing with one hand by choice, and my level of respect went up by a power of 100.

Jim
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#7]
That guy's amazing.

The drummer on the other hand...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:40:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
That guy's amazing.

Ya, he's not particuarly good. Those fills...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That guy's amazing.

big +1
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The fact that he is doing it one hand is quite amazing... but I dont really like it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:01:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:15:20 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That guy's amazing.

That bass player has got his finger technique down, I'd be interested in hearing how he fills in a song rhythem. The drummer has some work to do but they did hook up pretty good at roughly 2:50 thru to 3:50.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 4:27:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Inspiring !    I like the groove of the melody over that, er.. drumming.   I didn't like the part with the chords, towards the middle, but I guess he needed a rest.   Drummer really having a problem keeping up.  

I sometimes worry what would happen if I lost a hand, finger, or arm.  Scary to think about, but I guess when you're in that situation, you find a way to overcome.  

He's using an improvised kapo or mute to keep the strings from ringing endlessly, I guess.  Very cool.  Thanks for the link !

Link Posted: 2/5/2006 6:10:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Bill Clements
undergroundalienbass

kzoomusicgroup.com/

Bassplayer Magazine
Bill Clements
By Bill Leigh | June 2005

Diehard indie rocker Bill Clements of Kalamazoo, Michigan, has a new self-released CD, Undergroundalienbass, which collects recordings he’s made with several acts since the early ’90s. Many of the tracks are improvised, frenetic, and with a unique sense of high-energy mania, and all are underpinned by his expressive, often agitated, and technically curious bass lines. Thing is, Bill lost the lower part of his right arm in a 1989 industrial accident—at a temp job no less—and has ever since had a prosthetic arm ending in a hook where his plucking hand used to be. “I had to reinvent my whole style,” says Bill, whose playing is in part characterized by the insistent, pulsating bass riffs you might expect from a highly refined left-hand tapping technique, and yet goes places technically and musically that would be daring for most bassists. On the disc’s first two tracks, a pair of atonal, improvised instrumentals recorded with the drummer Jim Nelson and guitarist Ron K., Bill’s aggressive left-hand riffage beats out snarly-toned chugs beneath crisp, energetic drumming and Primus-like guitars. Bill’s composition “Photo 51,” adds horns to the art-rock mélange, with Bill at times anticipating and reflecting their tuneful mid-tempo motifs, then playing in and around them with contrasting 16th-note fretless runs that recall Jaco Pastorius’s Rocco Prestia influence. “Every now and then I’ll smack it with the hook,” says Bill, who also uses the metallic apparatus on occasion as a bow or to stimulate the pickups on his Warmoth Jazz Bass. The disc rounds out with a trio of tracks that showcase Clements’ style in a rock context, steering clear of the agro guitar riffs and vocal melodies while complementing them with his distinctive-toned swoops, countermelodies, and responses.

Should of had Rick Allen playing drums....

I know I'm not the first to think of this....

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top