Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 7:32:36 AM EDT
Newly built PC and newly purchased DSL has got me thinking about what to use for anti-virus/firewall.

On my old Dell 8100 I used Norton Internet Security 2003-2005.  No real complaints about the functionality (I really liked the anti-spam features) but it was a REAL resource hog.  My computer was really slow after installing it.  So I'd like to use something different.

I have Norton IS 2005 and I also have the NVidia firewall that came with my Asus mobo.  I have not heard too many good things about the NVidia firewall.

I asked a buddy of mine in IT and he recommended Avast (virus) and ZoneAlarm (firewall).  He said both are free.  

What do you recommend?

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Been running Zone Alarm Pro for about a year, with no problems.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:41:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Trend Micro PC Cillin
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:17:47 AM EDT
[#3]
We've been using AVG for antivirus and Zone Alarm for firewall on our winblows boxen for years and haven't had any problems.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:41:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you have a home hardware router… they are your 1st and best line of defense.

I run AVG-Free anti-virus I don’t run a software firewall and have found no need behind the router.  If you must run a software firewall Norton is a resource hog and the firewall in not as effective as Zone Alarm which is free.

Run a good ACTIVE spyware blocking program… MS AntiSpyware or Spybot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#5]
nod32

panda

avast  is ok

zonealarm is ok

kerio  firewall i don't think is free now

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:45:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Turn off computer, go outside.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:45:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Turn off computer, go outside.

yeah i'd like to tell some of my customers that
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:46:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I too don't run a software firewall, I'm using a $15 after rebate SMC700 a hardwired router with built-in firewall because I have an older CPU, and I don't want to use up any CPU cycles.  Be aware for the gamers, this router may not be compatible with some online games.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I run Norton, never had a problem. couldn't stan McCaffe
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:58:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Maybe you should give McAfee a try.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:02:12 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Trend Micro PC Cillin

Unfortunately that one received the worst ratings in the last security scan done by cnet.

I would suggest not using the trendy "security suites"  buy a cheap DSL/Cable router this way your system is behind NAT so that your machine is not available via a public IP address and use a good name Anti Virus.  The only thing that I could suggest better would be a hardware firewall, but in most cases they are much more expensive (in the $300-400 range).  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:06:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:09:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Zone alarm firewall (No router)

Avast (free version) anti-virus.

I also run
Spy Bot  AND Ad Aware (one will invariably find something the other missed).

I use Mail Washer to kill crap emails out on the server.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:48:07 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe you should give McAfee a try.

I did, it did nothing but fuck up my pc
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:52:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Bit Defender for anti virus, but it is very expensive. Nod32 I use and works good. Zone Alarm
for the firewall, Ewido for a malware search. Here is a great anti virus site. It will help
you decide which fits your needs.
www.av-comparatives.org/
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:17:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Bit Defender for anti virus, but it is very expensive. Nod32 I use and works good. Zone Alarm
for the firewall, Ewido for a malware search. Here is a great anti virus site. It will help
you decide which fits your needs.
www.av-comparatives.org/

thanks for that link
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:29:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I am not familiar with home hardware routers.  Could you recommend one (that's available from a source like newegg.com)?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:30:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Zone Alarm - firewall.
Grisoft AVG - antivirus.

Both free for home use, both very highly regarded.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:40:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not familiar with home hardware routers.  Could you recommend one (that's available from a source like newegg.com)?

Depends on the quality of the firewall you want.

A linksys WRT54G is pretty much the best entry-level router out there, and should run about  50-60 bucks.  

A super-grade quality firewall, like a SonicWALL, are much more expensive, but you definately get what you pay for.  I run one of these myself, and I Couldnt be happier -

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833339004

A sonicwall like this -

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833339001

has just as good of a firewal in it, for about half the price.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

A linksys WRT54G is pretty much the best entry-level router out there, and should run about  50-60 bucks.  

A super-grade quality firewall, like a SonicWALL, are much more expensive, but you definately get what you pay for.  I run one of these myself, and I Couldnt be happier -

A sonicwall like this -

Wow, those are steep.    I might spring for one of the Linksys routers, but I don't have (or need) wireless in my home .... hmm, need to do more research.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:23:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#22]
+1 on Zone Alarm Pro

I use Mcaffee for Virus stuff

Adaware and Spybot search and destroy for popups
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:52:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

A sonicwall like this -

Wow, those are steep.    I might spring for one of the Linksys routers, but I don't have (or need) wireless in my home .... hmm, need to do more research.

You get what you pay for.  A linksys router of some kind is plenty good enough for the basic user.  The sonicwalls are quite advanced.

Even if you get the wireless router, you can always turn off the transmitter.  The wrt54g is the best bang for the buck, and you can even flash it with linux.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
You get what you pay for.  A linksys router of some kind is plenty good enough for the basic user.  The sonicwalls are quite advanced.

Even if you get the wireless router, you can always turn off the transmitter.  The wrt54g is the best bang for the buck, and you can even flash it with linux.

Good deal ... I see that Newegg has a one day sale on the Linksys WRT54G (with a $15 rebate, even, and free shipping).  Looks like I've got my firewall solved.  Thanks.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:29:22 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

A sonicwall like this -

The SonicWalls are also rather simple to setup (assuming your router is setup properly also )

I run WatchGuard and like the features on this system as opposed to the SonicWall.

WatchGuard is also more finiky and prone to configuration issues (read: A bitch to setup sometimes).

Check Evilbay for sonicwall stuff.  Heck, there was even a sonicwall in the EE here a few weeks back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:38:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Is this the Linksys router?  

Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Router

I note that there is a WRT54GS version (which seems to differ from the above in that the "S" model has the Speed Booster and is $15 more ... I guess that's not important if I'm not going be running the wireless part?).
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:48:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Adware, spybot, zone alarm, Avast, check www.trendmicro.com every once in a while and use their free online spyware checker and antivirus checker, download and use their cwshredder.
Also once you have a clean computer download www.secretmaker.com to keep everything clean and get rid of all those bits and pieces of junk web sites put on your computer. also does a good job of blocking intruders and pop up and anything else.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:03:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Same here.  Using Norton 2006 & Norton 2006 Personal Firewall.  I'm satisfied with both.  Also use the free Microsoft AntiSpyware program.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:37:55 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Is this the Linksys router?  

Linksys WRT54G Wireless G Router

I note that there is a WRT54GS version (which seems to differ from the above in that the "S" model has the Speed Booster and is $15 more ... I guess that's not important if I'm not going be running the wireless part?).

Thats the one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:35:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Thats the one.

Thanks, gonna order it today.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:56:48 AM EDT
[#31]
What about US Robotics wireless router?
Firewall any good on those?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#32]
After you get setup go to www.grc.com and use the 'Sheilds Up' program to test your firewall. Also www.pcflank.com has some test that will tell if you are exposed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:46:12 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

This is always the wierd thing about software and running on machines.  I run McAffee and can't stand Norton.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#34]
I like this Netgear Firewall/VPN switch for less than $50.  

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122081
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:56:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Zone Alarm + AVG + Spybot Search and Destroy, all freeware.

Zone Alarm

AVG Anti Virus

Spybot Search & Destroy

Running behind a router can also help security from external intrustion, at the expense of some limited functionality (depending on what you try to do, you might never notice)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top