Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 5:11:41 AM EDT

Has anyone seen this new razor? It has 5 blades and an additional trimming blade. The only problem with it that I see is the price $10 for the razor and $3 per refill. An 8 pack of refills is $25, that is insane. I use a Mach III and really like it because I shave my head and it is the best I have found but I will not pay $35 for a razor and a refill.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:14:24 AM EDT
It's a blade war. Now it's Schick's turn to come out with a six blade razor.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:15:36 AM EDT
another new razor and 5 blades!?
Petty soon it's going to look like a venetian blind.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:19:27 AM EDT
i saw that also, but in my curiousity, i will probably buy it
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:19:40 AM EDT
One of these days I'm going to rebel and just use a straight blade and lather.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:26:09 AM EDT
Anyone remember the skit from SNL where they have the 14 blade razor? By the time you get to the 10th blade it's already taking off the top layer of your skin.

This is nothing more than marketing rediculousness. I use a Mach 3 and it's more than enough. If it shaved any closer I literally would be taking a layer of skin off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:28:42 AM EDT
My secret hope is that the Mach III replacement head prices will drop like a rock.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:29:03 AM EDT
If you stroke a mach III twice it is like 6 blades, but takes twice as long! and if you do it 3 times it is like 9 blades!

anyone seen the MadTV spoof of this?

I have mach III but I find the old single blade Bic shaves closer!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:46:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NewbHunter:
Anyone remember the skit from SNL where they have the 14 blade razor? By the time you get to the 10th blade it's already taking off the top layer of your skin.

This is nothing more than marketing rediculousness. I use a Mach 3 and it's more than enough. If it shaved any closer I literally would be taking a layer of skin off.

Yep, saw it.

Also, from The Onion:
www.theonion.com/content/node/33930
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:47:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 3:48:17 AM EDT by FieroLoki]
Im waiting on the one with 87 blades.... HELLS YES!!!

Edit: I like mine that vibrates... WOOOOO!!!!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:49:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By NoHarmNoFAL-01:
My secret hope is that the Mach III replacement head prices will drop like a rock.

my cousin plays football. he used to use themac 3 razors. he found disposable razors worked ok and were alot cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:40:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 10:40:33 AM EDT by Mall-Ninja]

The only problem with it that I see is the price $10 for the razor and $3 per refill. An 8 pack of refills is $25

$3 x 8 refills = $24

They charge you an extra buck to buy in bulk?

and 10 bucks for the razor isn't all that bad. A Mach III goes for around 9 at the local drugstore... (mine was 4, somehow people didn't like red?)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:41:34 AM EDT
Gillette Fusion: It shaves your soul...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:48:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
Gillette Fusion: It shaves your soulspine...

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:42:01 AM EDT
I hadn't shaved with a blade in over a year, and I couldn't find my old Mach 3.
So, I went to the store to pick a razor and a few blades.
$8.99 for a razor and two blades?!
They used to give the razor away and make $$$ on the refills!!!
Fuck that.

Back to my Braun Syncro, which shaves better and cleans itself like a cat licking its balls.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:46:54 AM EDT
I saw the fusion. At first I thought it was solar powered...since it looks like it could easily catch the suns rays and convert them into shaving energy, but then I saw the battery.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:47:34 AM EDT
I use a straigth razor and a hot lather machine. Well, its only sort a straigth razor, b/c I can't find one anymore. Sally Beauty has this straight razor with a guard on it that's used to cut hair. I jsut took the guard off, and it works. It's got about a 2" long thin changeable blade, and the blades are like $.50. If you press down with a new blade, you get nice razor burn down the side fo your face. The burn means its working!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:48:15 AM EDT
I'll switch when they make a 20 blade disposable
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:49:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

This is the absolute best shave you will ever have, and you will not go back.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:49:26 AM EDT
Their commercials have more special effects than a science fiction movie.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:58:39 AM EDT
Ya know... My shave is the same now with the 3-4 blade doodad as it was with the 1-2 blade doodad.
I got the Gillette vibrating with the battery razor for x-mas... It definately feels better to shave with, but the results are the same.*

*Thought its a real PITA to get up around my nostrils, I don't get a good shave with it there. I have a back-up shick I use for that area.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:02:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AcidGambit:
Ya know... My shave is the same now with the 3-4 blade doodad as it was with the 1-2 blade doodad.
I got the Gillette vibrating with the battery razor for x-mas... It definately feels better to shave with, but the results are the same.*

*Thought its a real PITA to get up around my nostrils, I don't get a good shave with it there. I have a back-up shick I use for that area.

The FTC made Gillette change its commercials for the little butt-plug because they deemed that Gilette made outrageous claims about the products performance.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:04:12 PM EDT

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:09:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 12:24:02 PM EDT by ScaryBlackGuns]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:12:29 PM EDT
My favorite razor was the Gillette Micro-Trac.
It had two blades, was ultra thin and lasted a LONG time.
BEST DAMN SHAVE I EVER GOT!
The MachIII is bulky and doesn't get as close as the little guy did.
And of course it was discontinued.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:43:17 PM EDT
I'm still using a Gilette Sensor, two blades. The refills work great!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 1:09:51 PM EDT by clement]

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:
Fuck that.

Back to my Braun Syncro, which shaves better and cleans itself like a cat licking its balls.

I'm sure if you sent gillete an email asking for a trial razor they would glady send you a free one. For my 18th (only 5.5 years ago) I recieved a free one in the mail. They are like cigarette companies almost in that respect. Been using it since. They still make all their money on the refils. Heck the mach III power is just a cheezy scheme to get you to buy more duracell batteries(notice they were using those in the commercial?).
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:42:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By clement:

Originally Posted By SJSAMPLE:
Fuck that.

I'm sure if you sent gillete an email asking for a trial razor they would glady send you a free one. For my 18th (only 5.5 years ago) I recieved a free one in the mail. They are like cigarette companies almost in that respect. Been using it since. They still make all their money on the refils. Heck the mach III power is just a cheezy scheme to get you to buy more duracell batteries(notice they were using those in the commercial?).

Funny, but I have used a Mach III for over a year and haven't replaced the battery yet and it was the free one that came with the razor.

SBG
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:10:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

I'm already working towards that. I've been using shaving soap for about 1 year now. Now I just need to get up the gumption to order a straight razor, hone, strop, etc.

I'm dropping out of the Razor Wars.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:25:13 PM EDT
1 blade was fine when I started using a razor...then at some point I tried a 2 blade version and thought, ok, a little better so I will stick with that. I would still be using that one (a machII i think) except I went on a trip and realized enroute that I needed a refill...well, the store didnt have any, so I needed to buy a new razor....and the only thing they had was the machIII (3 blades)...so with no other option I bought that. Honestly couldnt tell much of a difference between 2 or 3....a fresh razor is sharp, so the difference between 2 or 3 was lost as far as I was concerned....but the new one came with like 5 refills, and with 3 blades they seemed to go a little longer in between changing them out....so by the time I got through the 6th blade (original + 5 refills) I decided to buy refills for both and keep the II in my travel kit, and the III in the bathroom.....guess what...couldnt find the II blades any more in the store near me...so goodbye old razor.

More than 2 was unneccesary...more than 3 seems stupid to me....but I suppose people will buy what they dont have.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:26:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By KlubMarcus:
I'm still using a Gilette Sensor, two blades. The refills work great!

Best safety razor ever.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:31:58 PM EDT
www.classicshaving.com

OMG thank you! ;)

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:33:32 PM EDT
I'm using the Atra Plus. Two blades and the price on the refills is climbing.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:53:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mall-Ninja:

The only problem with it that I see is the price $10 for the razor and $3 per refill. An 8 pack of refills is $25

$3 x 8 refills = $24

They charge you an extra buck to buy in bulk?

and 10 bucks for the razor isn't all that bad. A Mach III goes for around 9 at the local drugstore... (mine was 4, somehow people didn't like red?)

Uncle Sugar takes his pound of flesh.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:12:57 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:19:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SimonPhoto:
www.classicshaving.com

OMG thank you! ;)

Huge +1. That, and about an hour of Google searches afterwards has just convinced me that I need to try this. I think the blade companies have handed us a shit sandwich for years. I'm ordering a straight blade, brush, soap, etc today. WAY cool.
Top Top