Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/29/2006 6:44:12 PM EDT
Seriously. Why do people go to the trouble to back in to parking places? It’s certainly not easier to back into a spot than it is to back out of one. I spent some years in the freight business and maybe 60% of the people at the places I worked went to the trouble to back into the parking spot, regardless of who was waiting or how long it took to back into that particular parking space. That number went to 85% of the trucks and no I’m not entertaining the idea that people who drive trucks are more likely to back into a parking place than out of one. Hell, my next vehicle just may be a truck and the only time I’ve ever backed into a parking space is when I passed one up only to find that there were no more available spaces in that particular row, so I hit reverse.

So, if you happen to be one of those who prefer to back into parking places, please enlighten my as to why you do this.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I do it at work cuz I need to get out of the space quickly
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:47:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I find one I can pull through, thus avoiding the reverse gear alogether.

I find it's easier to see oncoming traffic (which often isn't paying much attention 'cause they're looking for a spot themselves).
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
And this bothers you why?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
That’s almost in verbatim to what the SO said when i told her i was going to post the topic.

Are you really in that big of a hurry when you get off work?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:49:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I back in sometimes when I know a parking lot is going to fill up or have a lot of traffic on it(like at 11:45 AM), so I can just drive straight out without backing up with all of the jackasses that run around at lunch time trying to run over me. Well it would really be run under me since I have that jacked up 4X4 that some people hate.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I find one I can pull through, thus avoiding the reverse gear alogether.

Yes, i do this i admit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:50:54 PM EDT
[#7]
habit from the Army days
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:55:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
habit from the Army days

So, it’s for the tactical advantage…right?

I like that…."Tactical Parking"
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I think its easier to back into a space then pull front forward...I know im weird. Plus, when you pull into a spot chances are that you arent as situationaly aware of your surrondings. You just pull in. When you back in your perspective changes and you have to make sure your not going to run over someone or hit a car or something. Two, when you pull out its easier, you can get out much faster and you can actually see what any oncoming traffic.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
1) I can leave quicker

2) At work it lets me jam the door on my topper up against the wall of the parking garage so no one can open it up (lock is broken)

3) Backing in I won't be surprised by an oncoming car when I'm in reverse because the people in front of me I can see, and the people behind me are forced to stop when my brake and reverse lights go on. When I back OUT of the space, there's a better chance I could miss someone coming from either direction and back in front of their car.

4) Makes it easier to have my truck towed if it won't start and is stuck in the parking spot.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#11]
its easier to see to get out, especially in my apartment complex, where people speed around like idiots
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:58:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I back into my carport because it keeps the canopy of my truck closer to me. And sometimes I keep some expensive stuff in the back.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:00:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
habit from the Army days

Same here!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:01:01 PM EDT
[#14]
1) I can leave quicker

2) At work it lets me jam the door on my topper up against the wall of the parking garage so no one can open it up (lock is broken)

3) Backing in I won't be surprised by an oncoming car when I'm in reverse because the people in front of me I can see, and the people behind me are forced to stop when my brake and reverse lights go on. When I back OUT of the space, there's a better chance I could miss someone coming from either direction and back in front of their car.

4) Makes it easier to have my truck towed if it won't start and is stuck in the parking spot.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Quicker get away and better visibility upon exiting.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]
At my old place I always backed in.

It put the driver's side door facing the south.  Which is important because when we have freezing rain and crap, it comes out of the north.  Backing in ment the 1/4" of ice was on the passenger side, and not MY side of the car, so I didn't have to deal with my door being frozen shut.

After living there almost three years, it turned into a habit, although the new place having a garage is breaking that habit pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:16:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Because it's easier to get out, duh.  I do it all the time.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#18]
All of the reasons listed above. I t has now become a habit. I back into my own driveway now.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:20:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Because I can...

It is easier to back in, and easier to get out. Plus there is less of a chance of backing into someone.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Many of the reasons posted above are for very specific events. Situations where any prudent individual would do the same under those circumstances. By that I mean that it would be prudent to try to make it harder for someone to steal your property from the back of your truck by parking backward as opposed to forwards.

Others post "I can leave easier" or "I can leave quicker".
Perhaps but is the time saved jumping in your car, throwing it in drive and zooming out of the parking lot offset by the time and effort put into stabbing your vehicle backwards into a parking space?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#21]
It ia easier and safer to back from traffic than into traffic.

And its cool
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted: And its cool
Now i think you're getting to the heart of it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:24:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
habit from the Army days

+1 I usually just pull through but I try to park so that I can pull out faster if need be-

Its NOT paranoia if someone is really after you
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:25:39 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted: And its cool
Now i think you're getting to the heart of it.

I wear my sunglasses at night
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Many of the reasons posted above are for very specific events. Situations where any prudent individual would do the same under those circumstances. By that I mean that it would be prudent to try to make it harder for someone to steal your property from the back of your truck by parking backward as opposed to forwards.

Others post "I can leave easier" or "I can leave quicker".
Perhaps but is the time saved jumping in your car, throwing it in drive and zooming out of the parking lot offset by the time and effort put into stabbing your vehicle backwards into a parking space?

Haven't you noticed it's a hell of a lot easier to see what's coming towards you when you're pulling straight out of a spot, instead of backwards?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:
habit from the Army days

actually its refered to as combat parking, and after having the shit pt'd out of me for not parking the "right way" as a new private i find that i have more often than not combat parked since than.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Habit. Working in the oil field, you always, i repeat ALWAYS back into your space if you're on a land job. Being able to make a quick exit could save your ass.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

+1 I usually just pull through

Absolutely. But here I’m addressing backing up to achieve the same effect.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#29]
My spot at the shop is on a hill.  Therefore, I back my truck into it so I can always compression start if the solenoid or starter fail.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:29:29 PM EDT
[#30]
What the fuck does it matter?

It is actually smarter and safer for when you get ready to leave.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:32:57 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Haven't you noticed it's a hell of a lot easier to see what's coming towards you when you're pulling straight out of a spot, instead of backwards?

That’s funny. You make backing out of a parking space sound like this difficult task that takes great preparation a lot of chance and a little luck.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:40:52 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That’s funny. You make backing out of a parking space sound like this difficult task that takes great preparation a lot of chance and a little luck.

the inconsiderate way people drive these days, IT IS  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:42:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Oh my. I wish I lived in a world where this question was on my mind...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#34]
When the zombies are on your ass, you don't want to waste time backing out of a parking space!

Plan ahead - it could mean the difference between staying alive or being zombie chow!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:44:47 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What the fuck does it matter?

It is actually smarter and safer for when you get ready to leave.

The fact that you get on the defensive when called out implies to me that you do it for no particular reason…you’re kind of embarrassed about it…so you come up with “smarter and safer” as reasons for doing so.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#36]
The only reason I back into a space is so the morning sun can work on the frost on the windshield.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:46:56 PM EDT
[#37]
I pull out, girlfriend makes me...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Habit. Working in the oil field, you always, i repeat ALWAYS back into your space if you're on a land job. Being able to make a quick exit could save your ass.

+1.  In military, and at most mills and refineries I worked through university we were required to back in.  The logic is you are usually not in so much of a hurry arriving, but you might have a need to leave in a hurry.  A parking lot full of vehicles pulling forward out can evac in a hurry.  If they all need to back out, it triples the exit time.

Now I do it because it's a habit of preparation and for visibility when leaving.

The downside is instead of the back bumper getting dinged, an idiot backed into my front headlamp.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#39]
Oops. My next post is .223. Saving that one for more than is piss poor subject so I'm out of here. Sayonara.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#40]
If they are backing into a driveway, other than the reasons listed, perhaps because its illegal to back onto a roadway.

If we are at the mall I dont bother backing in, but I'll pull through so I can pull out quicker. Its just safer than trying to back out into the mall parking lot, what with the idiots who want to tear thru the mall lots at 30 or 35 MPH.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:50:12 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
It’s certainly not easier to back into a spot than it is to back out of one.

So why are you bitching?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#42]
Some companies (ie. Schlumberger) have this back-into-parking-space as policy on empolyee parking lots, I guess there's some sort of statistics where people tend to crash more if they have to back out of the parking place when the y leave work in a hurry. And I guess that it is easier to crash by backing out of the parking space then the opposite, if you crash on the way in you're more likely to hit whatever that's behind you instead of other cars or people on the way to their car.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#43]
I think it's easier than backing out.  YMMV
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It is if you have to park something the size of a Suburban at my kids' school. I make it a point to get there about 15-20 minutes before the kids get out so I can back into one of their narrow little spots in one swing. If I get there any later than that the place is covered up with minivans driven by women with way more money than driving skills, who can't seem to fit their Honda minivan completely in one parking spot.

Once the kids get out of school, the parking lot is an absolute madhouse with all of the soccer moms trying to leave at the same time. Much, much easier to get out if you've backed into your spot.

I also back down my driveway, but that's because there's not enough room to turn the 'Burb around with 3 other cars in the way.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
It ia easier and safer to back from traffic than into traffic.  

Its safer, the same reason when I need to make a U turn in my big rig truck on a side street, I'll back from the busy street into the less busy street.  I have more control of the situation.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:07:43 PM EDT
[#46]
Because I can
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Pizza delivery days from long taught me that you can see the traffic when you back in, you can't always see it when you back out.  It makes good sense on tight streets and parking lots.  I brought it up at work (years later) when there was bitching about larger trucks blocking the view of the small vehicles.  The owners of the large trucks saw the merits and now back in voluntarily.  The original bitchers had about a 50% success rate of understanding.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
its easier to see to get out, especially in my apartment complex, where people speed around like idiots

yup.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:13:39 PM EDT
[#49]
1.  It is easier to back in when the turning wheels are out in the aisle (especially with a long wheelbase)
2.  Easier to pull out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:14:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Because without fail I need to quickly get somewhere on base and it's just easier to back in verus pull in.  I'd rather parallel park though, that's uber tactical.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top