BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:15:05 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What the fuck does it matter?

It is actually smarter and safer for when you get ready to leave.

The fact that you get on the defensive when called out implies to me that you do it for no particular reason…you’re kind of embarrassed about it…so you come up with “smarter and safer” as reasons for doing so.

No, I am not embarrassed about it and how you arrived at that conclusion must be through the same convoluted reasoning that made you ask this stupid question in the first place.  You are the one who is all bothered about something that has no bearing on you at all.

Even if I do it for no particular reason, what the fuck is it to you?  

I explained why.  If that is not good enough for you, who the fuck cares.  A very idiotic question followed by even more idiotic remarks in response to reasons given.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
In my industry they generally train;
Pull forward, scan the space for hazards and proper clearance then back into the space.

The last outfit I worked for considered it unsafe to pull into a parking space. Guys got dinged for safety rule violations when they were caught pulling into a space.

We hear that statistics indicate less accidents on arrival than on leaving. They tell us the mind is more focused on the driving upon arrival.

Could be all crap too.

Personally,
All vehicles generally have decreased visibility toward the rear. So, scanning for hazards from the front on arrival makes some sense. I pull through when ever possible. It's been drilled into my feeble brain,  "to avoid backing accidents, DAMMIT DON"T BACK."  Back in is my second choice. That way I don't have to worry about having my side vision limited. If I pull up and back in, I can scan my space for problems while I have a better observation point.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I drive a Ford F-350 crew cab dually.  There are many parking spaces that would be impossible to get into pulling in due to the longwheelbase ans narrow aisles.  If I can pull past the spot and get the back end at the entrance to the space, having the steering end of the truck out where there is room to manuever will allow me to swing the front end around and get the truck in straight.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:30:43 PM EDT
[#4]
I have only been in a few fender benders, only ONE of those was judged to be my fault

I had backed up ONE foot and stopped, a lady came through a parking lot about 20mph

she was driving all the way on on the left side of the large driveway and hit my back bumper

since I was "in the process of backing up" the insurance company said it was  automatically

my fault, paid her even though I told them it was completely her fault and raised my rates

Something you might want to think about when you are backing up out of a space
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:46:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is easier and safer to back from traffic than into traffic.

And its cool

What he said, DUH!!!

Travis
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It is easier and safer to back from traffic than into traffic.

And its cool

What he said, DUH!!!

Travis

I agree  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I drive a Ford F-350 crew cab dually.  There are many parking spaces that would be impossible to get into pulling in due to the longwheelbase ans narrow aisles.  If I can pull past the spot and get the back end at the entrance to the space, having the steering end of the truck out where there is room to manuever will allow me to swing the front end around and get the truck in straight.

I was just going to post this same response.  F-250 crew cab longbed here.  It's a lot easier to get straight into a narrow space using the steering to swing that front end around.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:51:30 PM EDT
[#8]
If you grow up in a snowy region as I did you will find that getting your car out of a driveway or parking space is easier after a foot or more of snow has fallen if you can pull out forward and keep going without losing momentum. If your backing out you have to stop and then drive forward....you just lost all momentum when you stopped and may not get started again. You usually have a semi clear spot to get going since their isnt as much snow under your car.....just my experience.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#9]
As a matter of fact, I find it is often easier to back my extended cab into a tight space than go in forwards.

I also like the other reasons which have been mentioned.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:00:04 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
habit from the Army days

So, it’s for the tactical advantage…right?

I like that…."Tactical Parking"

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:01:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I do it at work cuz I need to get out of the space quickly

+87... this is the best reason
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]
We call it combat parking..heh.

Because you never know when you might have to haul ass out of there in a hurry.  We park all of our humvees and shit like that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:08:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I do it so I can leave in a hurry from where ever it is I left my car.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#14]
No one has mentioned that allegedly it saves fuel. I read this years ago on a govt site. Logic is your vehicle is warmed up as you drive so its operating more effeciently so the extra time and distance you use to back up uses less fuel as opposed to when your car is ice cold and not running as effecient, as when your vehicle has the choke on (running rich). Makes sense to me so I have always done that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:28:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Maybe he's asking about backing into a parallel parking spot - in which case the answer is:

Only the front of the vehicle is steerable. Backing in allows you to put the non-steerable part of the vehicle into place, at which point the front of the vehicle can then be steered into place. Doing it vice-versa doesn't work so hot...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:29:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Just reading the page 1 stuff......  For me....

During winter, dark mornings, back is still defrosting, easier not to worry if the dog is there....  Driving out better.

Same when at work.  Why spend/waiting time for the rear defrost to work (if you hvae one) or scraping when you just worry about the front and side....

edit-

This only works for me when the parking is straight, not angled.  Most lots here, if angled, are angled so traffic is one way....and I get dirty looks when they see me pull out and I head INTO traffic (the wrong way).  I just ignor them....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#17]
People usually do this at motels so LEO's can't see their license plates. Usually gang thugs and other assorted vermin.  Most people know that most LEO's are too lazy to get out and check the plate in the rear. Works good in states where a front plate is not required-like Arizona.  And yes-many LEO's do spend their down time running 28's if they have no calls pending.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#18]
It's the safest way to park.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:45:23 PM EDT
[#19]
It's easier to pull out than back out.
I can see more.
I can get out quicker.
etc
etc
call it tactical parking if you like.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#20]
My uncle told me one day that he does it because the company he worked for required it for safety reasons. Whenever her would visit us, he would have a freezer full of beer, and it was easier to get to that when he backed into our driveway as well.
I do it now out of habit, and found out it helps tremendously at busy times because I can see much more traffic.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:56:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Its becasue I drive a big ass truck and it will NOT pull in to the space.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:43:01 PM EDT
[#22]
I get flak from my better half for backing in. I find it's a lot safer than the traditional nose-in.

That said, I've found the occasional town where a town ordinance requires nose-in parking. Never got that.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Is LarryG always an ass when he arrives in a thread?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:49:43 PM EDT
[#24]
lot retards will hit me either way
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:55:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I think its easier to back into a space then pull front forward...I know im weird. Plus, when you pull into a spot chances are that you arent as situationaly aware of your surrondings. You just pull in. When you back in your perspective changes and you have to make sure your not going to run over someone or hit a car or something. Two, when you pull out its easier, you can get out much faster and you can actually see what any oncoming traffic.

Yep, it much easier to back into a space because I call see both vehicles on either side when I'm backing up to park.  If I park heading in, and when I pull out I can't see all of the cross traffic.  When I park facing out, I can readily see the cross traffic.  In my city I have many newbie drivers that don't know and follow the rules.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:04:21 PM EDT
[#26]
When going offshore, my truck stays parked for usually 2 weeks minimum. You never know when a battery is gonna crap out on you. You don't have to push it out of the space before you jumpstart it if you back in.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:04:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Why do some people drive their nose into empty parking spots instead of backing in to take advantage of the sharper turning radius while backing and superior safety of being able to clearly see traffic in the isle prior to pulling out?

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:23:41 PM EDT
[#28]

perhaps because its illegal to back onto a roadway.

And the cops in some places enforce that!  I got off with a verbal warning in Clemson, SC when I spent six weeks there doing some contract work.  The local cops there enforce that law.  The three guys I was working with all got expensive tickets for it.  Since then when out of town I never back out of a driveway or business, because there's no way to keep-up all of the different local laws to know if that's legal.z
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:24:29 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
When going offshore, my truck stays parked for usually 2 weeks minimum. You never know when a battery is gonna crap out on you. You don't have to push it out of the space before you jumpstart it if you back in.

long jumper cables
ETA: nevermind it's a truck
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:55:43 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Oops. My next post is .223. Saving that one for more than is piss poor subject so I'm out of here. Sayonara.

Subject that you brought up... Funny.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:03:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Oops. My next post is .223. Saving that one for more than is piss poor subject so I'm out of here. Sayonara.

Subject that you brought up... Funny.

+1

What an a-hole. He wants to know why people back into parking spaces, we give him logical answers (besides the fact that it doesn't bother him any) and then he proceeds to tell us how stupid we are and what a piss poor subject it is. People like this irk me. Reminds me of a liberal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:23:41 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Are you always an ass, period?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:24:14 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have only been in a few fender benders, only ONE of those was judged to be my fault

I had backed up ONE foot and stopped, a lady came through a parking lot about 20mph

she was driving all the way on on the left side of the large driveway and hit my back bumper

since I was "in the process of backing up" the insurance company said it was  automatically

my fault, paid her even though I told them it was completely her fault and raised my rates

Something you might want to think about when you are backing up out of a space

I got nailed like this one time too.  I'd backed out of a parking space, stopped, and was putting my car in Drive to pull away, and got hit from behind.  It was my fault even though I wasn't moving and the lady that hit me was moving.  It was my fault because I'd been backing up before I stopped.  That sounds like BS to me...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:28:24 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Seriously. Why do people go to the trouble to back in to parking places? It’s certainly not easier to back into a spot than it is to back out of one. I spent some years in the freight business and maybe 60% of the people at the places I worked went to the trouble to back into the parking spot, regardless of who was waiting or how long it took to back into that particular parking space. That number went to 85% of the trucks and no I’m not entertaining the idea that people who drive trucks are more likely to back into a parking place than out of one. Hell, my next vehicle just may be a truck and the only time I’ve ever backed into a parking space is when I passed one up only to find that there were no more available spaces in that particular row, so I hit reverse.

So, if you happen to be one of those who prefer to back into parking places, please enlighten my as to why you do this.

I do it to piss you off.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:54:31 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
When the zombies are on your ass, you don't want to waste time backing out of a parking space!

Plan ahead - it could mean the difference between staying alive or being zombie chow!

Yeah, but wouldn't you rather take out the zombies with the back end of the car.  No cracking the windshield, not risk to the engine.  If you had to ram your way out of the spot, nose in would be better.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:54:58 AM EDT
[#36]
I sometimes back in, but I can understand your frustration.  When I back in, I do it quickly and without holding up parking lot traffic.  Most people take their good old time backing in, and there's usually a bunch of cars backed up in the lane waiting for the asshat to finish parking.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:02:02 AM EDT
[#37]

I do it to mess with sfax39.

It seems to be working.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:04:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#39]
If your SO was pregnant, you'd back into spaces, too.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:20:56 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you always an ass, period?

It's been my experience that LARRYG, much like his second cousin, Mr. T, has neither the time, nor the inclination to "pity the fool" upon his arrival to a thread.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:09:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Sober when parking, Drunk when leaving That's why my uncle always did it.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Unless you pull thru two spaces to the far side of the aisle, you will have to back up either when you arrive or when you leave.

More than 50% of all fleet-related accidents happen while backing up, and they're usually just cause you back into something you don't see. Why not give yourself the tactical backing advantage of being able to see up and down the entire traffic aisle while you back in to the spot, rather than having to use the back and pray method until you're far enough out into the aisle to see if anyone's coming?

Fire trucks back into their garage and point their trucks out toward the street.

So does Batman.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#43]

Good examples, npd.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:32:51 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
So, if you happen to be one of those who prefer to back into parking places, please enlighten my as to why you do this.

My pick-up has a fairly wide turn radius due to the wheel base of the truck.  If I nose into a parking spot, I have to go forward, back up, straighten up, go forward, back up, etc., for a while before I can get the behemoth turned 90 degrees to the flow of traffic.  When I back up, I only do 1/2 of a 3 point turn to park.  It's a lot faster.

Then, when I'm ready to leave, instead of having to back out straight until I get up against the vehicle behind me, then go back and forth in small increments until I am in a position where I can drive out, it's a lot easier to just drive forward out of the parking place and start to turn when my rear wheels clear the vehicle to either side of me.

Frankly, after using both the back in to park and the nose in to park methods, I wonder why anyone doesn't back in to park.  It's just easier and when driving a larger vehicle, it's a lot faster.

If I were driving a Geo Metro or a Yugo, on the other hand, the turn radius is so short, I can turn 90 degrees to the flow of traffic in the space between two rows of vehicles, so whether I nose in or back in is immaterial; however, it is my considered opinion that Geo Metros and Yugos are Teh Ghey.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#45]
When I drive my truck... It's easier for me to see people coming if I pull out from a spot that I backed into instead of sticking the bed of the truck out and using it as a "feeler" if you catch my drift.  

~Dg84

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:37:35 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:Seriously. Why do people go to the trouble to back in to parking places?

Sometimes, I park in backwards because my driveway is on a slope and if I park in backwards, I can drive forwards and then up the hill. If I pull out of my spot backwards and it's icy, I will have difficulty going up the hill.
In a flat parking lot, sometimes, I feel like parking backwards and sometimes, I don't.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Some companies (ie. Schlumberger) have this back-into-parking-space as policy on empolyee parking lots, I guess there's some sort of statistics where people tend to crash more if they have to back out of the parking place when the y leave work in a hurry. And I guess that it is easier to crash by backing out of the parking space then the opposite, if you crash on the way in you're more likely to hit whatever that's behind you instead of other cars or people on the way to their car.

Schlumberger taught me to back into parking spaces.  It makes sense from a safety perspective.  When you approach a parking space, you look into it, and can verify that there are no obstacles.  You then back into a space, over which you have a reasonable amount of control (no car is going to drive into your space).  Coming out of your space, you have better visibilty into people/cars/pets/random falling pipes that might obstruct pulling out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#48]
ever notice how everyone at a fire station parks like that?  And usually with F-150s.....

seriously, it can be better if you're parking in a very tight spot because you can use your side mirrors.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:45:08 PM EDT
[#49]
Couple of reasons:
1. Because I can.
2. Because it is easier to drive out than back out. Consider that since I come in early, I have all the time in the world to back in carefully. When it's quitting time, there is a lot more activity in the parking lot--it's just plain busier. It is safer to not have to back into traffic.
3. Because when it's time to go, I want to GO.

I drive a mini-van, not a truck.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Because it's easier to get out, duh.  I do it all the time.

Then again if you back out of your driveway/parkin spot all the time it's also easier.

Think about it.  When you're backing into a spot you actually have to watch out for various obstructions.  When you back out of a spot the things that can hit you aren't as great.  I'm lazy, I back out of spots and my driveway.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top