Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 3:41:07 PM EDT
Just wondering what it says on this picture.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:42:23 PM EDT
[#1]
baby! the other, other white meat
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
baby! the other, other white meat

A haiku for ya -

Cannibalism
Immoral, yet practical
The other white meat

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:57:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought it might be something like that.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
"All your companies are belong to us"
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:40:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Dang.  I'm going to quit while I'm not too far behind and just post what my housemate said.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:10:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you, 71-Hour_Achmed.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm learning.  Was told to by future potential employer who reads your email.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
It says.

Roy Horn, it's what's for dinner.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:15:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Chapperjoe, you want to work for them?!?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:17:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Chapperjoe, you want to work for them?!?

not the 'them' who you think.  It's a private 'them' who do what the official 'them' are too dumb, lazy and understaffed to do.  I don't think the official 'them' likes orthodox jews.  Okay, I know they don't.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:23:05 PM EDT
[#11]
They must be really bored if they want to read my email.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:04:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
"All your companies are berong to us"

I fixed it for you.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:19:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Ok, I went through it with my roommate.  He says that the characters are "simplified Chinese", which means that the picture was done in modern times, and most likely on the mainland.  (Taiwan uses "traditional Chinese", in which the characters are, umm, well, more traditional.  More strokes to them, and done with more style.)  I no longer feel so bad about not being able to find more than two of them in my beginner's dictionary.

He also says that since the words themselves don't make sense, the characters were probably chosen for their prettiness, and that the sounds are merely close to other words -- perhaps a line of poetry or something like that.  This is common in Chinese dialects, sort of like punning, or analogous to "eye rhyme" in English-language poetry.

The words in red, from top, are "cow elephant rooster", and in white, "lucky unicorn dragon sparrow Liu" ("Liu2" being a family surname).

The character on the lower left is "qian3", meaning "shallow" or "light".
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Ok, I went through it with my roommate.  He says that the characters are "simplified Chinese", which means that the picture was done in modern times, and most likely on the mainland.  (Taiwan uses "traditional Chinese", in which the characters are, umm, well, more traditional.  More strokes to them, and done with more style.)  I no longer feel so bad about not being able to find more than two of them in my beginner's dictionary.

He also says that since the words themselves don't make sense, the characters were probably chosen for their prettiness, and that the sounds are merely close to other words -- perhaps a line of poetry or something like that.  This is common in Chinese dialects, sort of like punning, or analogous to "eye rhyme" in English-language poetry.

The words in red, from top, are "cow elephant rooster", and in white, "lucky unicorn dragon sparrow Liu" ("Liu2" being a family surname).

The character on the lower left is "qian3", meaning "shallow" or "light".

That's some funny shit.  My sister in law got a tatoo that she says is Chinese for love.  I don't know for sure, but knowing how stupid she is I would bet it says something like "ho" or "screw me".
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:10:17 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
That's some funny shit.  My sister in law got a tatoo that she says is Chinese for love.  I don't know for sure, but knowing how stupid she is I would bet it says something like "ho" or "screw me".

It might.  One of the local boards had a thread on how in Australia, someone was selling tee shirts with "cool" Chinese characters on them -- apparently forced to stop after someone who could read noticed that they said "I am an escaped mental patient" on them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just wondering what it says on this picture.

twoday.net/static/aber/images/weisser%20tiger%201.jpg

The character in the lower left stands for "Welcome to Happy Tiger Chinese Buffet. Lunch served Monday through Friday. Dinner served Sunday through Saturday. Orders available for take-out. Credit card purchases must be over $10. Reservations available for large parties. New vegetarian entrees on the menu. Ten percent gratuity for groups of eight or larger."
The characters to the right of the tiger says "Enjoy".
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:20:02 PM EDT
[#17]
71-Hour_Achmed,  thank you, very much, for putting in the time and effort to translate it for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top