Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 6:09:00 AM EDT
I just got my new motherboard on friday, I figured I'd have this thing up and running real quick like.. but nothing but problems.

Here's what I have

Asus A8V MB (updated to latest BIOS (that wasn't a beta))
AMD 3800+ Athlon 64 x2
Asus V9400-X/TD/128M/A video
2x DDR 400 PC3200 512mb

Seagate 20g Master on IDE0  (DMA2)(iirc)
DVDrw Master on IDE1 (DMA2)(iirc)

Problem:  loading XPpro and XPpro X64 at "installing devices" always (both OS) at 34 minutes remaining it locks up and produces a BSOD.  I was able to run Ubuntu Live x64 w/o any problems.

First, I found memory that was failing tests running Memtest86+

replaced memory yesterday, tested with Memtest86+ and found no errors.

Still no joy on loading any OS. (not even Ubuntu Live now)

tried with only one stick of RAM... no joy

disabled ALL onboard stuff (lan, sound..etc) ...  no joy

right now, I've still got memtest running and 0 faults.

wondering what to do now..

Is this a MB with deep issues?  I've never had this much of a problem with any system.  

suggestions?  (please!)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:12:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a similar problem once - turned out to be the processor fan & heat sink - it was not rated for the necessary cooling capacity...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:22:02 AM EDT
[#2]
try low leveling the hardrive and starting over.   dban  has been recomended on here before
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:04:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
try low leveling the hardrive and starting over.   dban  has been recomended on here before

dban ?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Couple of things you might try. Definitely reformat the hard drive, if you haven't. Confirm that the heatsink's fan is working and check temps in BIOS. Try only 1 memory stick in the proper slot - check manual for whitch slot to use.

Also, disable the onboard SATA controller if there is one. Try loading failsafe BIOS settings and see if it makes a difference.

Which BIOS version are you using?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:33:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Couple of things you might try. Definitely reformat the hard drive, if you haven't. Confirm that the heatsink's fan is working and check temps in BIOS. Try only 1 memory stick in the proper slot - check manual for whitch slot to use.

Also, disable the onboard SATA controller if there is one. Try loading failsafe BIOS settings and see if it makes a difference.

doing a "LL" format now (should be done)
will check, but I do believe SATA is disabled
amd supplied heatsink/fan  is working (temps are ok) verified with my laser thermometer

"failsafe" bios settings?  (will check book/bios)
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:34:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Definetly re-format the hard drive. The reason is that during your initial installation the data was corrupted by the bad memory. That data is still on the hard drive. The only way to get a truely clean install is to do a format and do it over from the start. Download the Seagate software from their website for this if you need it.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

dban ?

the page is not coming up right now though

dban.sourceforge.net
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:39:46 AM EDT
[#8]
It looks like you're using a used 20gb HDD, formatting it may help but it won't be worth it in the long run. Dump it and get a new SATA drive.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

sometimes checking the temperature in the bios is not good enough since nothing is really happening and the computer often boots in a low power mode....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:53:56 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

sometimes checking the temperature in the bios is not good enough since nothing is really happening and the computer often boots in a low power mode....

True.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:11:20 AM EDT
[#11]
1st I would clear the motherboard CMOS RTC RAM jumper. This will completely clear the BIOS and sometimes can clear up odd problems. See the manual.

2nd I would try a different hard drive… I had a very similar problem a couple of months ago when trying to install Windows on a older hard drive, I never could get it to work so I downloaded the HD diagnostic tools from the manufacture and ran them on the drive… the diagnostic tools said the HD was going to fail. I changed drives an the OS installed fine.

3rd Download the HD manufactures diagnostic/formatting tool and do a clean/low level format.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#12]
I can't really suggest anything more for the OP, but just a comment:

when I build a new PC, I usually buy a mobo and CPU at the same time, and from mWave. The reason is because for another few dollars they will do a POST check to make sure the mobo/CPU/RAM works as far as they can detirmine without really putting a HD with OS on it. If some part doesn't work right, they can quickly swap out the CPU, ram or mobo and easily see which part isn't working. If you are buying a new setup with some new standard (such as SATA hard drives or PCI-e video) you don't always have other appropriate parts to try swapping in when there's a problem.

Of course I usually only buy a complete motherboard+CPU+RAM anyway. I never saw much reason to upgrade the CPU without also upgrading the mobo and RAM.

I don't know anywhere else that offers this service, if there is feel free to mention it.
~~~~~
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:49:06 PM EDT
[#13]
@#$%^&*()

hdd !!!

#$%^&*()

loading SP2 on top of clean install now.

sOAB!

I would have bet my life on the IDE hdd I was using too.. but I wanted to try out x64 before loading up my SATA drive..

(still po'd!)

thanks for all the help you guys dished out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top