Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/29/2006 5:11:13 AM EDT
Saw it on Fox a few minutes ago.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:12:10 AM EDT
[#1]
abcnews.go.com/

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,183115,00.html

"The two journalists were traveling with U.S. and Iraqi troops near Taji, about 12 miles north of Baghdad, when an improvised explosive device went off, ABC News President David Westin said. Both were in serious condition and undergoing surgery at a U.S. military hospital in the area, the network said."

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:17:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:19:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Sucks to be him?

Soldiers aside, I can't be too sorry for a person who knowingly goes into a combat zone as a target when they have no active role in operations. Soldiers and contractors are one thing, but to be there to service an industry that is unrelated the (and counter to?) goals in Iraq gets no sympathy. Same for that ditzy reporter chick who decided that being in Iraq without a bodyguard wasn't a bad idea.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:19:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Wow, I watch him every evening.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Soldiers aside, I can't be too sorry for a person who knowingly goes into a combat zone as a target when they have no active role in operations. Soldiers and contractors are one thing, but to be there to service an industry that is unrelated the (and counter to?) goals in Iraq gets no sympathy.

On the contrary, I have an enormous respect for reporters who go unarmed into conflict zones to tell a story.  They try to get our a story that would otherwise never be told, and they know they are putting themselves in harms way to do so.  I don't see how you can separate them from "soldiers and contractors".  All are just trying to do their jobs, and they know the risks associated with what they do.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Hey, you jump into a meat grinder, you're bound to get ground up sooner or later.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:39:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Is Bob Woodruff a lefty who is over there to dig up dirt to throw at our boys? If yes, they should sew him up with a forcep inside.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:46:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Is Bob Woodruff a lefty who is over there to dig up dirt to throw at our boys? If yes, they should sew him up with a forcep inside.

He's with ABC. Even if he files a report that shows our guys in a positive light, by the time it airs it will be rife with negativity.  Then again, why would they send him over there if not to provide aid and comfort to the enemy.

Sucks for him, but at least he's still in American hands. I hope the troops he was with escaped uninjured.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:52:02 AM EDT
[#9]
"Both men suffered head injuries. Woodruff sustained shrapnel wounds and Vogt was hit by shrapnel in the head and suffered a broken shoulder.

Both were wearing body armor, helmets and ballistic glasses. They had been traveling in a U.S. armored humvee, but then transferred into the Iraqi vehicle. Vogt and Woodruff are embedded with the 4th Infantry Division."

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I still haven't heard if the troops are ok. But since the report I already learned his camera mans name.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:10:04 AM EDT
[#11]
It was his co-anchor's fault......Vargas did not want to share the limelight....she set him up with the bad guys..

On a serious note..I don't care...he work for ABC and Left Wing Tonight. He's part of the problem with mainstream news.

What I care about is the 4th ID guys he was with..how are they doing?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:17:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Excellent point my friend.

Quoted:
I still haven't heard if the troops are ok. But since the report I already learned his camera mans name.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:19:04 AM EDT
[#13]
the info re: the soldiers will not be released immediately as a matter of policy
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:20:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Political sides aside, this is a war.

And to me, an American is an American is an American.
Godspeed to all, journalist and soldiers alike.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:20:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:31:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Soldiers aside, I can't be too sorry for a person who knowingly goes into a combat zone as a target when they have no active role in operations. Soldiers and contractors are one thing, but to be there to service an industry that is unrelated the (and counter to?) goals in Iraq gets no sympathy.

On the contrary, I have an enormous respect for reporters who go unarmed into conflict zones to tell a story.  They try to get our a story that would otherwise never be told, and they know they are putting themselves in harms way to do so.  I don't see how you can separate them from "soldiers and contractors".  All are just trying to do their jobs, and they know the risks associated with what they do.

As I said, Soldiers and contractors are doing something productive with their presence. A reporter does not. While his presence in Iraq is helpful (if his reporting is accurate) to the American public, it does not in any way help facilitate the needs of the military or the Iraqi people. The reporter represents a liability to our operations as he is a natural target for insurgents and the military hospital bed he is currently occupying could possibly be put to use for someone more deserving.

I find it interesting that a newsanchor or reporter will look down on a redneck contractor who drives a semi-truck in Iraq, but they can't see themselves as being more stupid for being there to do a job that doesn't need to be done. Trucks need to run on time. Nothing will change for the worse in Iraq if this reporter didn't get to file his stories. The man is entirely superfluous AFAIAC.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ditto-
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Excellent point my friend.

Quoted:

Soldiers don't matter, they are only numbers.
But a reporter is a real human being, somebody important.  Someone we should care about.
Fuck the poor white trash who fight and die and get wounded every day.
This is a media person.  They aren't numbers, they matter!

Sylvan, no one cares about reporters.  They make their careers recording what other people do to change and impact the world.  Fine and nothing wrong with that, but the end result is that even the greatest journalists who have ever lived are at best minor, inconsequential figures.  I noticed this when I was a kid and when a noted journalist died, all the news networks would have these huge paeans to guys I've never heard of before and who made zero impact on the big picture, but the way their deaths were covered on the tv news like they were major, world-changing figures.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:51:45 AM EDT
[#19]
It's too bad they were injured. Maybe reporters should not be there in the first place. Our guys have to fight a "politically correct" war. Maybe if our soldiers didn't have someone watching over their shoulder to make sure they did nothing "illegal" like using the wrong bullets to killl people, they could kick ass in a couple of weeks. Let the soldiers come home and tell us, the American public, about the war. Let them do their job, without having to baby sit.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted: Sylvan, no one cares about reporters.  They make their careers recording what other people do to change and impact the world.  Fine and nothing wrong with that, but the end result is that even the greatest journalists who have ever lived are at best minor, inconsequential figures.  I noticed this when I was a kid and when a noted journalist died, all the news networks would have these huge paeans to guys I've never heard of before and who made zero impact on the big picture, but the way their deaths were covered on the tv news like they were major, world-changing figures.
Yep. Reporters don't do the real work, they tell others about the work that was done. No wonder they are so leftist, it makes 'em feel like they are "making a difference" and "changing the world" instead of just being the messenger boys that they are.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:10:56 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Sorry to see those guys got hurt, remember during WWII, Gomer Pyle was also a journalist and he was always in harms way.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:15:47 AM EDT
[#22]
"Woodruff and cameraman Doug Vogt were wearing body armor and helmets, but were standing up in the hatch of the Iraqi armored vehicle when the device went off. No one else was hurt in the explosion, the network said."

"The Iraqi mechanized vehicle they were riding in is considered more dangerous than U.S. vehicles. ABC said the two were traveling that way to get the perspective of the Iraqi military and were aware the Iraqi forces are the frequent targets of insurgent attacks."

That sounds smart
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:18:14 AM EDT
[#23]
"They had been traveling in a U.S. armored humvee, but then transferred into the Iraqi vehicle — which was believed to be a much softer target for attacks."

"It was a mechanized vehicle," Raddatz said. "At least in wasn't one of the pickup trucks they usually drive around in. They were in the lead vehicle, and they were up in the hatch, so they were exposed."

These guys were using very poor judgement in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:21:21 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1

To put it mildly!!  I think the term "idiot" is applicable here.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:22:38 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:25:18 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Suprise Suprise Suprise
ernie pyle was a journalist
gomer pyle was a character.

And a "don't ask don't tell" character at that!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:25:20 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
It's too bad they were injured. Maybe reporters should not be there in the first place. Our guys have to fight a "politically correct" war. Maybe if our soldiers didn't have someone watching over their shoulder to make sure they did nothing "illegal" like using the wrong bullets to killl people, they could kick ass in a couple of weeks. Let the soldiers come home and tell us, the American public, about the war. Let them do their job, without having to baby sit.

Even in WW2 when the stories were highly censored, you had to have someone there to actually document what was going on, even if the story wouldn't be heard til later.

Sorry to hear of their injuries; hopefully they'll pull through.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:26:05 AM EDT
[#29]
I think they are all over there to discover the next Abu Gharib or scandal to hurt the troops, not sure if I have any emototions other than it sucks to be him. I hope no U.S. servicemembers were hurt in the attack.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:27:09 AM EDT
[#30]
I am anti ABC "news" because they are anti military, anti US, anti religion, and beneeth a thin veneer, anti America.  It is not the news, it is liberal propaganda.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:45:06 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
"They had been traveling in a U.S. armored humvee, but then transferred into the Iraqi vehicle — which was believed to be a much softer target for attacks."

"It was a mechanized vehicle," Raddatz said. "At least in wasn't one of the pickup trucks they usually drive around in. They were in the lead vehicle, and they were up in the hatch, so they were exposed."

Sounds like the Iraqi Army was out to "show" them alright...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:57:36 AM EDT
[#32]
He knows the consequences of being there.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:20:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Isn' there a whole MOS for that though? Combat Camera?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:34:29 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
They were in the lead vehicle..."

Thats all you need to know about why they got hit, darwin candidates right there. Our soldiers have no choice, but when given the opportunity, pick a different ride.

ETA, if I was trying to take some stuff out, you could bet me money, I'd be gunning for taking out the lead vehicle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#36]
I don't know how either of these guys reported, BUT IF they are the typical current US journalists, who are generally anti-US, anti-war, and ultimately anti-military, I say fuck 'em, who cares.

IF so, then they were probably just looking to catch one of our boys doing something wrong in their minds (like putting panties on peoples heads!) so they gleefully file their anti-US garbage, and show what scumbags (in their leftist addled brains)  our boys really are...

I hate the press in general anymore...

Plus just like that Carroll bitch, they know the risks, they decide to play.....

Of course they could be part of the 2% of journalists who aren't anti-American....

The journalists in WWII were careful not to file stories that would undermine morale and hurt the war effort...today they are careful not to file stories that would boost morale or help the war effort...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Am I going to have to be the first to say:

"ITS TIME FOR WALTER CRONKITE TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT AND GO TO IRAQ!"

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:45:44 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Am I going to have to be the first to say:

"ITS TIME FOR WALTER CRONKITE TO COME OUT OF RETIREMENT AND GO TO IRAQ!"

You should have stayed quite... fuck Walter Cronkite and the leftist horse he rode in on.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#39]
IEDs dont discriminate, haji is happy as long as Americans are injured, soldiers, journalists or aid workers, doesnt matter to them.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted: Theodore Roosevelt had something worthwhile to say about the relative value of the 'critic' vs the 'man in the arena'.
"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."

"Citizenship in a Republic," Speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:51:41 PM EDT
[#41]
While I was in Iraq OIF 2003-04 I had the job of coordinating training for the locals on how to stay alive, since all of them became targets for serving in elected office, even at the neighborhood council level. This training was taught by the same people who train our embassy personell on how to stay alive while overseas. It was a matter of doing certain things to become a 'hard' target or doing the wrong things and being a 'soft' target.

Dressing  as Americans  with you head up in a non-harden vehicle sounds like rabbit shooting on a golf course! Idiots! The ones who get killed or kidnapped are soft targets in what they do or try to relate with the enemy by dressing like them or learning the languge, thinking they can talk their way onto someones good side. They just expose themselves to attack.

Too bad for them, but don't stick paper clips into the electrical socket and don't make yourself into a soft target.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:30:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Maybe Cindy Sheehan can camp out in front of the president of ABC's house until he swears not to send any more reporters to their death!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#43]
It's all Bush's fault.....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry to see those guys got hurt, remember during WWII, Gomer Pyle was also a journalist and he was always in harms way.

Suprise Suprise Suprise
ernie pyle was a journalist
gomer pyle was a character.

Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C..  Sorry, I got that wrong.  Ernie Pyle is the correct name that I want.

GLOCKshooter: Sheehand should've been IEDed instead.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:39:07 PM EDT
[#45]
Maybe Cindy should be sent to Iraq to protest the war. It would get her message out.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:42:43 PM EDT
[#46]
My son is in Taji right now. This does nothing good for my peace of mind.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:49:37 PM EDT
[#47]
I like the idea of her doing like some other peace-nics and going over their, and telling the ROP fundenmentalist how much she agrees with them and she wants to stay with them.. give a day or two before she ends up on AL_JAZEERA  Video

Yeah I know its twisted but I could live with it.... she would find out the truth real quick!!!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#48]
wow, what a bunch of heartless sister-fvckers. time to quarantine va, pa and mi and set off a smart-bomb. no, not the kind that kills, the kind that knocks some sense in your cud-chewing fvcktard heads.

i hope someone you love suffers or die in iraq or anywhere else in the world. come back here, and ask for prayers. don't forget to reference this thread and the dumbshit things you've posted.

those two were just doing their job. if it were the fat fuck limbaugh, you'd all be crying in your trailers. by the way, how come that fat turd, along with all the other fox fuckwads - hannity, o'reilly, etc, aren't over there? i'll tell you why, they come from a long line of warmonger and draft-dodgers who spout patriotism and courage from the back of the room. they, along with this dipshit, east-coast elite, manchurian candidate president will continue to cheerlead our soldiers to their deaths while reaping in millions from their corporate masters and dumbass sheep like you who swallow their every line like an ugly chick who swallows the football team because she thinks they really, really like her.

don't you get it? this corrupt administration will continue to send good men and women to die to line their pockets as long as you dumbfvcks continue to spew idiotic hateful tripe like this. you're being used, you dumb fvckers. pull out of your mothers and sisters, wipe off on their heads and get an education. and i don't mean in the mines.  

i'll keep saying this until all of you get it in your gomer, inbred-for-generations-and proud-of it heads. get out of that fvcking country and send all our forces to afghanistan and get that motherfvcker who continues to laugh at us.

jesus christ, what happened to this place?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:08:42 PM EDT
[#49]
huh? did you hear something? no? oh just one of those holdout two time losers........ yeah name calling about all they have to offer.......... Just wait three time losers coming up.......

Just wait it will make some more buzzing noise that's easy to ignore like a fly on a peaceful sunny day......now where's that fly swatter.....

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:15:16 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
jesus christ, what happened to this place?

You should be asking that about your home state of California.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top