Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2001 1:21:54 PM EDT
First off, I am by no means a LEO basher.  I am quite the opposite, no run ins with the law or any BS like that.  But the poor rep and bashing everyone does here is perpetuated by the media.  I don't personally know any SWAT members, but I'm watching "FBI, untold stories" on Discovery, they have this old man robbing a bank in Cleveland.  Within the first 5 minutes of the FBI guy showing up the SWAT commander says "lemme get my guys in there and waste him!"  That may be how you guys get the bad rep shoot then ask questions.  just an observation.

[beer]

You guys do the job I wouldn't.  Hats off to you!!!
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:26:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 1:49:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh I know, it is just the way SWAT are portrayed. Reality  is most of us have never have seen or met a SWAT member so the trash on TV is everyones impression.  Just like all guns are evil, ask anyone in the media they will tell you!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 2:16:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
If the guys already in prison it is hard to imagine a jailor could do worse than the inmates.  I bet they wouldn't mind a good asswhooping, probably beats the average asspounding they get!!!

Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#5]
It is on TV, so it has to be the truth, right??
I am former SWAT, too old, and brokedick these days to do it anymore. SWAT has evolved dramatically from where it was 18 years ago when I first was on. Green light was thought to be the way to go, no patience, no talking. After a number of hostages got killed, the thinking swung to, talk, and talk some more. The green light is a final option. SWAT sets up, and the hostage negotiators go to work trying to peacefully resolve the issue. SWAT shootings are actually very uncommon. It is like any other law enforcement mission, 99% sheer boredom, followed by 1% terror.
A well trained, coordinated, diciplined team is a great asset. The "cowboy" or hotdog image is a rapidly, thankfully, fading thing of the past. Quite professionalism, patience, are the norm these days. (yep, I know some teams screw the pooch, but that is not the norm thankfully)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top