Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2006 8:44:59 PM EDT
What breed is the best with children and a special child?

We are wanting to get a dog this spring.  Ekie and I have 4 children.  Ages 9, 7, 4 and 2.

Our 2 year old son has a severe heart defect....he is affected by the heat and cold and has limited play time outside and we want a family pet that would be happy to be inside with our son.

Our list of preferences is, short haired, good guard dog (at least a watch dog), OK with being both an outside and inside dog, good with children.  Size is also a consideration...we want a dog that can travel with us to hospitals, appointments...be a REAL member of the family.

Plus, we need a healthy breed...no additional medical expenses are needed here.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mrs. Ekie
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
shetland sheepdogs (shelties)  Smaller version of the Collie.  A little "lassie"  They're very patient, they'll put up with all kinds of pulling and tugging and other abuse.  They're VERY smart and easy to train.  GREAT dogs.  Had one for 10 years.  never snapped at me.  He was EASY to train.  Other suggestions guys?

ETA Border Collies, and Rough Collies are good too.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say a Labrador Retriever from a reputable breeder. My pup is awesome with kids. They can be exuberant when very young though, so supervision is essential, but that is a given. I would recommend a conformation or "English bred" Lab, as they are more easy going than a field bred Lab.

Another breed that I would recommend is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Called the "Nanny Dog" in Europe for good reason, this breed is great with kids and an awesome all around dog in general. Super friendly, but can be protective if need be. Although they max out at around 35-40 pounds, they are the strongest dogs in the world in that weight class. You would be amazed at the strength of such a small animal. A Staffy holds the weight pull record for its size.

Here are a couple of links for the Lab and the Staffy, Good luck:

www.dogbreedinfo.com/labrador.htm

www.dogbreedinfo.com/staffordshirebullterrier.htm

Let me know if you need any breeder recommendations for either.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#3]
My concern about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, is that it could possibly be confused with a young Pit Bull.  

This is the breed that Mr. Ekie is most interested in.  But, I have some reservations.

I do not want neighbors to be concerned about us having a Pit Bull.  All the pics I have seen of the Staffordshire, resemble a Pit Bull.

When they are full grown do they resemble the Pit Bull or are they sweet?  I don't want to alarm our neighbors....We probably already alarm them in that we homeschool and are very conservative.  LOL!!

Mrs. Ekie

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:23:34 PM EDT
[#4]
We have 2 Italian Greyhounds and they are great dogs. I would suggest a male as they see to be not as skittish as the females. They are non aggresive and have very short hair. They shed little to none and require no grooming to speak of. We have a male and a female. The male is large for his breed at about 25 pounds. They look just like full sized greyhounds except for their size. Vito loves to go in the truck and will wait( if a litle impatiently) in the car for long periods while I'm at the gym or store. They are decent watchdogs and will bark and run to the windows when anyone is arounf the house. Vito is also great with kids and will stand in the middle of a group of kids as the love on him. I was afraid he would bite if his ears or tail were pulled until I heard him whining very loudly one afternoon. I went outside to find the neighbors 2 year old twisting the shit out of his ear in our backyard. He was just standing there taking it. He's a great snuggler as well. The only negatives is they are a little hard to train and being sighthounds will chase anything that moves. They are hell on rabbits and until they learn to respect the claws are rough on cats as well. They hate the cold also and Vito walks on 3 legs in the winter to keep one foot warm and shits on the patio about 2 feet from the back door and then scratched right away to get back in. Look into them. They might fit the bill.They also have no health issues that I'm aware of. As a side note I am a Respiratory Therapist at Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis. I work with babies and children that have severe heart defects almost every day I go to work. I wish you the best of luck and god bless.   P.S. They could in no way be considered a macho dog but are loving short haired and great with kids. I may be mistaken but I think the American Staffordshire Terrier is just another name for a pit bull. I've heard they are great family dogs but I personally would be a little nervous. Not about the animal around my family but the liabilities if it were to bite someone else. I can scarcely imagine a situation where Vito would bite anyone.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
My concern about the Staffordshire Bull Terrier, is that it could possibly be confused with a young Pit Bull.  

This is the breed that Mr. Ekie is most interested in.  But, I have some reservations.

I do not want neighbors to be concerned about us having a Pit Bull.  All the pics I have seen of the Staffordshire, resemble a Pit Bull.

When they are full grown do they resemble the Pit Bull or are they sweet?  I don't want to alarm our neighbors....We probably already alarm them in that we homeschool and are very conservative.  LOL!!

Mrs. Ekie

I've actually never had a dog in my life as my own pet, but would you have AKC papers or anything in case anyone scrutinizes over it?  If not then your veterinarian to back you up?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Pit bulls are the best dogs I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:26:49 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Mrs. Ekie

American Staffordshire Terrier is the AKC name for the pit bull.  There is no difference between the breeds, AKC doesnt recognize the american pit bull terrier as a breed so they call it a staffordshire.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:31:55 PM EDT
[#8]
For kids, if you want a dog that is purely loveable then go with a lab or a golden retriever.

If you want a dog that is loveable and can be protective of your kids, get a German Shep.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
They are very short and small when full grown. They only weigh about 35 pounds. They are super sweet dogs. The resemblance to a pitbull is in the head and stance only. They do have a large, muscular head and a bulldog stance, but are much shorter than a pitbull. People have confused my friends Staffy for a Pit bull puppy. Just make sure you get the dog from a reputable breeder that actually cares about the breed.  They will breed for correct conformation as well as temperment. They are just really awesome dogs.

Here are a few pics of my black Lab pup named Buddy playing with his friend Noah the Staffordshire Bull Terrier and a few of Noah by himself. They should help you with a size comparison, as Buddy is 80 pounds and Noah is 36.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:33:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mrs. Ekie

American Staffordshire Terrier is the AKC name for the pit bull.  There is no difference between the breeds, AKC doesnt recognize the american pit bull terrier as a breed so they call it a staffordshire.

The American Staffordshire Terrier is a totally different breed than the Staffordshire Bull Terrier.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:35:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Ten, Ring,

Did you get your dogs as puppies?  If they were introduced to cats at an early age, would they be OK with a cat companion?  We do have an indoor cat.  Are they easily trained?  I had a vet mention this breed to me and it never occured to me because they look so fragile.  

Thank you for being a respiratory therapist!  Bless you!

I remember our respiratory thereapists well.  Our son has HLHS and we had many along our way through the Norwood and Glenn.  Our Gideon does not like the suctioning!  We are still awaiting our Fontan.  Out little guy is a fighter.  

Mrs. Ekie
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#12]
BOXER!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:43:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
shetland sheepdogs (shelties)  Smaller version of the Collie.  A little "lassie"  They're very patient, they'll put up with all kinds of pulling and tugging and other abuse.  They're VERY smart and easy to train.  GREAT dogs.  Had one for 10 years.  never snapped at me.  He was EASY to train.  Other suggestions guys?

ETA Border Collies, and Rough Collies are good too.  

Plus 1 on Shelties, My girlfriend (Calamityjane) has one and she is a very smart dog, and easy to train.  I have been told that they like to "herd" children and will keep themselves between their family and strangers.  LOTS of energy,  have to run her up and down sand hills for half an hour to wear her out.  Not short haired though.  You can take them anywhere and they do not get in the way.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mrs. Ekie

I've actually never had a dog in my life as my own pet, but would you have AKC papers or anything in case anyone scrutinizes over it?  If not then your veterinarian to back you up?

Staffordshire Bull Terrier are pit bulls and don't let anyone kid you that they are not.  Just as Parson Terriors used to be Jack Russel Terriers.

My suggestion is a Golden Retriever or a Lab.  My advice would be to get an older one through rescue too.  Sounds as if you have a great family and a rescue dog could really use a break and a good family.  Explain to the Rescue agencies that you have high needs kids and have them pre select a dog right for your family.

Do a web search for the breed your most interested in ie Golden Retriever Rescue etc.

Best of luck!  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:56:51 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
BOXER!!!

YUP! Super friendly! Just be prepared to get slobbered all the time!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:00:02 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mrs. Ekie

Staffordshire Bull Terrier are pit bulls and don't let anyone kid you that they are not.  Just as Parson Terriors used to be Jack Russel Terriers.

My suggestion is a Golden Retriever or a Lab.  My advice would be to get an older one through rescue too.  Sounds as if you have a great family and a rescue dog could really use a break and a good family.  Explain to the Rescue agencies that you have high needs kids and have them pre select a dog right for your family.

Do a web search for the breed your most interested in ie Golden Retriever Rescue etc.

Best of luck!  

I am not kidding anyone. As I mentioned above, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier is a separate breed from the American Pit Bull Terrier or the American Staffordshire Terrier. I know it can get confusing with all of the "Staffordshires" in the title. The current breed standard is truly an awesome family dog. Do a little research. They are considered the #1 dog for children in the UK. Do not let rumors and media pull the wool over your eyes regarding this breed, they are truly great dogs. Follow the link I posted above as well as the ones below,

www.bulldogbreeds.com/staffordshirebullterrier.html

www.sbtca.com/site01/

groups.msn.com/TheStaffordshireBullTerrierGroup/aboutstaffies.msnw

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BOXER!!!

YUP! Super friendly! Just be prepared to get slobbered all the time!

Boxers are great dogs but don't you think they might be a little high energy for her family?  Patty
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:21:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I would say a Labrador Retriever from a reputable breeder. My pup is awesome with kids. They can be exuberant when very young though, so supervision is essential, but that is a given. I would recommend a conformation or "English bred" Lab, as they are more easy going than a field bred Lab.

Another breed that I would recommend is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. Called the "Nanny Dog" in Europe for good reason, this breed is great with kids and an awesome all around dog in general. Super friendly, but can be protective if need be. Although they max out at around 35-40 pounds, they are the strongest dogs in the world in that weight class. You would be amazed at the strength of such a small animal. A Staffy holds the weight pull record for its size.

+1, My Labs are the most gentle, and protective dogs you could own,  as are most labs, they love the outdoors, and never have a problem being in the house. They love to ride, and have an instinct to take it easy with children. Kids can pull their ears, or tail, they don't mind. The only problem with any lab, is the first year they will chew up everything they can get their teeth on, if they are bored, and they get bored real quick when they are young. Otherwise, they are perfect family dogs. I don't know if anyone else has made the same observations, and they may be coincidental, but black labs seem to be loving, and want more attention,.... yellow, more mellow,.... and choclate seem the smartest, and more high strung. I have had 2 of each since I've had labs, and it was true of all of them. But all are awesome family dogs, they will be amember of the family, and act  like they were another human in your home.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:26:15 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, My Labs are the most gentle, and protective dogs you could own,  as are most labs, they love the outdoors, and never have a problem being in the house. They love to ride, and have an instinct to take it easy with children. Kids can pull their ears, or tail, they don't mind. The only problem with any lab, is the first year they will chew up everything they can get their teeth on, if they are bored, and they get bored real quick when they are young. Otherwise, they are perfect family dogs.

Oh man, do they chew! You do have to watch them constantly for awhile until they know what not to chew. They also need alot of excercise and attention and chew toys. My pup is currently 8 months old and starting to chill out a little. Awesome dogs though, but they might be a little big for this situation, which is why I recommended the Staffy.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:36:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Funny that the third post down mentions the Staffy.  Yes, it is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier that I am interested in, the little UK "Nanny dog", not the much larger American breed.  Closest Staffy breeder I could find on line was about 3 hours away, and they go for $1,200 or so.  This dog meets all the listed criteria.

Thanks for sharing the pics and links lefthandblack, that is a cute little dog.

Patty's and nf9648 expressed confusion between the two breeds is exactly why Mrs. Ekie is down on the Staffy.  Here are Terriers according to the AKC:

www.akc.org/breeds/terrier_group.cfm

The one I am interested is the little dog on the extreme right, second from the bottom, not the Pit Bull second from left on the top.

The wife is interested in a Boxer, and no we don't need another "spaz",  around here.  Most of the other suggestions are ones we have considered, but long hair, and big dogs are out.

A Lab is the first dog I would get, once we get a place in the country with some land.  Just don't seem right to me to have a Lab inside and intown.  We do have friends that breed Labs.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I agree, they may be a little large for their circumstances, if you don't mind read what I added to the above post, and see if you agree. Thanks Treeman
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#22]
swedish valhund!

smart, trainable, tolerant.    I don't know how much energy they have as a breed, i've only known one.- fairly hyper but not bad.

kotisivu.dnainternet.net/lainepaa/tales.htm this will tell you if you really  want one.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Labs and Retrievers.

No others come close when kids start yanking tails and poking them in the eye.

Really.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Your right, a lab, needs a place to run, and be a dog from time to time, but they are happy as can be playing with the kids indoors, or lazing on the couch, if you would allow that. You may want to consider an adult lab, that has gotten the running out of his system, they are extremely patient, and loyal, and loving. You see adult Labs in the paper, for free somtimes because the owners are moving etc.., They need a loving home, and would fit your needs well, just a suggestion, I don't think you would ever regret getting a lab, even in the city.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Pits are great dogs. I'm currently raising my second. they are just plain ol' friendly and eager to please. They have a bad rap that is not deserved thanks to a handful of ass hats that train them to fight. A powerful animal to be sure, but left to their own devices, friendly, and lovable. Not great for small kids as they are energetic and do play rough.

Have you considered the English Bulldog? Very good with kids and docile. They do have some health issues that go with the breed.

Another option that you may not have considered is the Japanese Akita. Large dog, probably a bit more fuzzy than you want, but they are family guardians, and gentle giants.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:22:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Dogs don't always behave like they do in the breed books.

I've had three dogs.  The first was a female Alaskan Malamute, and then a female GS dog followed by another female GS.

The first GS behaved in a nearly ideal fashion.  You could always trust her off leash even.

Blackie is a monster.

Be prepared for one that doesn't fit the mold.<G>

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:31:20 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Pits are great dogs. I'm currently raising my second. they are just plain ol' friendly and eager to please. They have a bad rap that is not deserved thanks to a handful of ass hats that train them to fight. A powerful animal to be sure, but left to their own devices, friendly, and lovable. Not great for small kids as they are energetic and do play rough.

Have you considered the English Bulldog? Very good with kids and docile. They do have some health issues that go with the breed.

Another option that you may not have considered is the Japanese Akita. Large dog, probably a bit more fuzzy than you want, but they are family guardians, and gentle giants.

A bit more fuzzy...?!

LOL If I could teach mine to type I would let him respond to that! Oh, and he is a 110 lbs.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:40:05 PM EDT
[#28]
If the dog will wind up being tied in the backyard next to the dog house, then don't waste it's life & your time.  If, OTOH, you want a family companion who lives w/ you as part of the family, wh is easy to train & housebreak, & who will unfailingly respect you & yours, a collie-dog is a great companion & member of the family.

I currently own 3 smooths & 1 rough collie.  What do you want to know?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:10:46 AM EDT
[#29]
There are any number of dog breeds that might be suitable. Go through the list at www.dogbreedinfo.com

Two that come to mind that are known to be good with kids are Shiloh Shepherds and Black Russian Terriers. Both make superior family dogs -- good protectors but excellent with kids.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:12:10 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

I have known a lot of people with Akitas, including one guy who bred them as show dogs. I don't think I have ever met an Akita owner who recommended Akita's for a family with kids. Quite the opposite, usually.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:39:05 AM EDT
[#31]
my wife and i are going to start fostering greyhouds and we read a bookabout adopting racing greyounds to kinda give us an idea about the breed. the author said that the dogs are great house dogs and are good with kids. another breed that has been mentioned here is the lab. they're america's favorite and they'll do anything you ask of them and more. another good breed, one that i grew up with as a newborn and toddler is the samoyed. my parents never had a problem with it around me and it was very protective of me. i reckon she thought i was one of hers!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:44:28 AM EDT
[#32]
A lot of the time the temperment of the dog depends on the breeding.  Try and meet the breeding parents of a puppy if you can.  For any breed there are those individuals that are good with kids.  

In general, you don't want a dog from the herding section.  They were originally bred to be a little snappy so that they can get the sheep back in the direction they are supposed to go.  

Most pit/staffs have been real sweeties, but you don't want them in a house with little kids, or a special needs kid.  The are small-medium sized, but they are ALL muscle.  When they play, they may not MEAN to knock your children over, but they will.  Plus neighbors hate 'em.  ALWAYS.  If he gets out you have a law suit on your hands.  Their locking jaws mean they are capable of a great deal of damage (if they ever DID have a bad day).

Italian Greyhounds are great dogs, but I don't think that it can be reiterated enough that they are THE hardest dog to housetrain.  If you live somewhere where it gets cold, they usually just refuse to go out.  They are small, sleek and have practically no hair, so this is a survivalist instinct, they are very susceptable to the cold.  Their bones are also very easily broken.

Lab are great dogs, but can be hyper and over-exuberant in their play.  While they are not as muscular as the pit, they may still knock your kids down in they excitement.  

Akitas, malamutes, huskies, etc. are notoriously bad with cats and children, avoid them.

Golden Retrievers are notoriously tolerant dogs.  They are good with cats, birds, children, you name it.

-Former dog groomer, wildlife ranger, and current volunteer dog-walker and foster mom for the SPCA
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:53:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:23:17 AM EDT
[#34]
we have a cockapoo.  He  is  about 30 pounds and very smart.  Not a guard dog, though  he does bark at everything.  They don't shed at all.  He doesn't do anything but want attention and to be laying on me or right next to me,  which may be good for a sick  kid. They are also very healthy.

I  would say it is eveything you could possibly want except a guard dog.

P.S. I f you decide to  go with t his breed, get a puppy that is not shy.  You probably want more of the poodle personality then the spaniel.

Well now that I think of it.  Just get a standard poodle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#35]
PUG.  You said small dog.  Barks at sounds.  Great with kids.  Loves my 1yr old nephew.  Great family dog.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:27:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Lab
grew up with them and all were protective of the family and great with us (and my cousins when they'd come over to visit) as kids, even when us kids were climbing all over them or pulling their tails and ears

Dixie, my parents' current dog. She's a lot bigger now. Tall enough that she can look across the top of the kitchen table while standing on all 4s

Candy. The previous one. Died a couple years ago, had cancer. She was a great frisbee catcher
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:37:46 AM EDT
[#37]
Labs are exellant with kids and generally make a very good watch dog.

I have had several over the years and they would fit in nicely into any family situation.

They are as smart as they come and they will tolerate the tuging and pulling of small childeren.

I have found the yellow haired ones to have the best personalities.

Good Hunting.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:46:13 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Funny that the third post down mentions the Staffy.  Yes, it is the Staffordshire Bull Terrier that I am interested in, the little UK "Nanny dog", not the much larger American breed.  Closest Staffy breeder I could find on line was about 3 hours away, and they go for $1,200 or so.  This dog meets all the listed criteria.

Thanks for sharing the pics and links lefthandblack, that is a cute little dog.

Patty's and nf9648 expressed confusion between the two breeds is exactly why Mrs. Ekie is down on the Staffy.  Here are Terriers according to the AKC:

www.akc.org/breeds/terrier_group.cfm

The one I am interested is the little dog on the extreme right, second from the bottom, not the Pit Bull second from left on the top.

The wife is interested in a Boxer, and no we don't need another "spaz",  around here.  Most of the other suggestions are ones we have considered, but long hair, and big dogs are out.

A Lab is the first dog I would get, once we get a place in the country with some land.  Just don't seem right to me to have a Lab inside and intown.  We do have friends that breed Labs.

It is great that you are doing your research on this breed. They can be expensive, but you get what you pay for from a reputable breeder. You really should pay no more than $900 for a pet quality pup though. If you want show quality, you are probably looking at $1200 or more. The only difference is in the slight features that make them do well in conformation trials, which you probably are'nt interested in. There are many good breeders out there, but one I recommend is Angel Rock Staffords. They breed for Temperment first and foremost. Here is their site:

pages.prodigy.net/cellic/angelrock/

Not sure when the next litter is coming, but it will be worth the wait as they truly care about the breed. Contact them and tell them what you are looking for and see what they recommend as they have much more information than me.  Good luck with your search.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:54:49 AM EDT
[#39]
PUGS they are the best around small children.  They can't hurt the kid and they are too tough for the kid to hurt them.  You can take them pretty much anywhere.  If there are any sounds of someone coming in your house or breaking in they will alert you.  Great Great dogs and very healthy dogs.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Please, don't forget to post, when you make your choice. It is a big decision, and should be a life long commitment. I admire you for researching, and asking questions, so many people get a dog because its a cute puppy, and forget they won't be a little puppy long. A dog left chained up in the back yard for life, is a sad sight. Regardless of the breed, they will piss you off from time to time, be patient, and spend plenty of time with them. Most all will repay you with their lifes loyalty, and love. I would not rule out getting an adult dog, that has some of his or her growing pains past them, and if money will allow, obedience school is a good thing. I'm partial to Labs, but  there are plenty of good breeds, and muts, for that matter, that will make great members of your family, as long as you give them plenty of attention, and make them part of your family. Good luck, and keep us posted, and pics would be good to.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Lab
grew up with them and all were protective of the family and great with us (and my cousins when they'd come over to visit) as kids, even when us kids were climbing all over them or pulling their tails and ears

Dixie, my parents' current dog. She's a lot bigger now. Tall enough that she can look across the top of the kitchen table while standing on all 4s
img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/dixie8.jpg

Candy. The previous one. Died a couple years ago, had cancer. She was a great frisbee catcher
img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/mikehunt234/candy2.jpg

Great pics, I have a yellow Lab(Toby) that is 7, and Tater(black), she is 6,  How old was Candy, when she died, and did she show any signs or symptoms of  her cancer before her death?  I take mine to the vet often, and they both seem very healthy, Tater, needs to drop a few pounds, we are trying to feed them apart, so we can regulate her food better. She gained a lot of weight when we had her fixed. Thanks,......Treeman(edit) Toby dislocated his tail, in a frisbee accident, when he was 2, it didn't seem to hurt him to much, he wanted to keep playing. His tail stuck straight out for about 4", and then hung straight down, still wagging the whole time. We felt bad for him, but it was kind of comical. The Vet, gave one good tug on it, and it popped right back.  
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:59:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I'll suggest a Doberman. We had 2 when I was a kid, both pound rescues as puppies. Both had a gentle temperament to me and my sisters, but were quite protective of us. Have the tail done but don't do the ears and they don't look as intimidating. I have 2 older dogs now and when they are gone I think I'll get another Dobie
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:37:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Ekie, Of out two I.G's one loved to chase the cat and the other couldn't care less.We got them both as puppies but the cat came after. The only training we've done is housebreaking. They are considered a little tough to train but I didn't think mine were to bad. They learned the invisible fence in about 2 seconds flat!!They are great watchdogs and have a big bark for their size. They also look fragile but are not. They will ham it up however if they get hurt a little but it's always nothing. I have a 4wd ram pickup and Vito will jump right out of the window when we pull up to the house. They are much tougher than they look.They are also big snugglers and demand to be loved on! I also took him to the top of clingmans dome in the smokies( even though it said no dogs allowed) and he loved it. Lots of attention!! I love being an RT and love working with kids. I've never seen a kid who didn't want to get better and have learned that some of the strogest and toughest people in the world are the parents of sick little kids. Whenever I used to get report and would hear about a set of "problem" parents I always looked forward to seeing them because I knew they were involved with a lot of questions and jealously guarded their childrens well being. I hope you are the same way. The only way to feel empowered in the hospital situation,espescially the ICU is to ask tons of questions and to be afraid of no one.Remember that caregivers who work with kids are (should be)caregivers to the whole family.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:54:50 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

We are wanting to get a dog this spring.  Ekie and I have 4 children.  Ages 9, 7, 4 and 2.

Our 2 year old son has a severe heart defect....he is affected by the heat and cold and has limited play time outside and we want a family pet that would be happy to be inside with our son.

Our list of preferences is, short haired, good guard dog (at least a watch dog), OK with being both an outside and inside dog, good with children.  Size is also a consideration...we want a dog that can travel with us to hospitals, appointments...be a REAL member of the family.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mrs. Ekie

A lot of people have mentioned a lot of good breeds. Just wanted to add, getting a mutt, or cross-breed will more likely have less health problems than a pure bred dog.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:08:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Golden Retriever - best darn dogs I have ever owned

Like all retrievers they need regular exercise and human contact or they get bored.  My three girls are always with me and have never destroyed anything in my house.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Lab puppy would be my first choice, german shephard female pup would be my second.

Female Sheps are actually more protective than their male counter parts from what I've been told.

Get your dog as a puppy and let it and your kids grow together. The dog you choose will fit in just fine.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:06:11 PM EDT
[#47]
Boston Terrier
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#48]
We have had great luck with our labs.  Great with kids, never a problem. Not all that useful as guard dogs, but labs or goldens are great with kids.

Border collies are great dogs, but they are not indoor dogs and can nip and snap.  I would shy away from dogs that are bred to herd sheep, and such.  If they snap at your child's heels to "herd" them you will not be happy.  Great dogs, but they are not bred to do what you want  them to do at this juncture.

Labs will shed.  Can't get around that.

I prefer going away from the AKC purebred route.  YOu can have to deal with inbreeding, health problems, and if you are paying for the dog then you have to deal with puppy mill issues.

I STRONGLY recommend looking at Petfinder.com.  Great site to see what is in your area, regardless of the breed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mrs. Ekie

I dont want to sound like a butt....
This recently came up on the www.tchin.org HLHS list....some cards/surgeons recommend against dogs.....
You might want to check with him first.

Second...
do you want to lay out the money for purebred?

are you looking for big or small...well not small, medium  

We have a mix breed we got from the local pound as a puppy.  She is a good watch dog, thin undercoat so there is some change of season shedding.  And the crap she takes from our middle child is amazing.  Never once has bit (although would be justified most of the time if she did)

If you are looking for good purebred and big...goldens and yellow labs are good dogs, and often easily trained.  

If you are look for low shed due to possible pulmonary issues...alot of the terriers, basenjis, and poodles.
The poodles and the terriers often require pro grooming.  The basenjis have very little if any bark.

There is a new low shed breed, developed from crossing a poodle with a labordor, a labordoodle.  

Good luck with the dog.  I check your son's page often.

Mrs
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mrs. Ekie

IF you own your home, before getting any breed that could be mistaken for a pit, make sure your HO insurance doesnt forbid them or increase your premiums.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top