BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Pits are great dogs. I'm currently raising my second. they are just plain ol' friendly and eager to please. They have a bad rap that is not deserved thanks to a handful of ass hats that train them to fight. A powerful animal to be sure, but left to their own devices, friendly, and lovable. Not great for small kids as they are energetic and do play rough.

Have you considered the English Bulldog? Very good with kids and docile. They do have some health issues that go with the breed.

Another option that you may not have considered is the Japanese Akita. Large dog, probably a bit more fuzzy than you want, but they are family guardians, and gentle giants.

As a child we had 3 akitas.  All GREAT dogs.  Great with all of the kids (we had the neighborhood pool) and mellow enough to stay inside.  They do shed. Quite a bit as I recall.
There is a smaller version of the breed, the shiba inu.

I have never heard people complain about the yellow labs needing to run.  How do the sight dogs do it in apartments?  Setters I hear the need to run complaint ALOT
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:09:33 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another option that you may not have considered is the Japanese Akita. Large dog, probably a bit more fuzzy than you want, but they are family guardians, and gentle giants.

I have known a lot of people with Akitas, including one guy who bred them as show dogs. I don't think I have ever met an Akita owner who recommended Akita's for a family with kids. Quite the opposite, usually.

Well I dont own any right now
but I whole heartedly recommend them.

I just checked the akitas site and they say the akita should have an affinity for children.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is going to be hard one to believe but the best I've had with my son was an Akita.

The national dog of Japan, its fondly known as the babysitter breed due to the fact so many working Japanese mothers leave their children at home alone with only the dog to watch them.  Bred to hunt polars bears, they are quite large with a gigantic head.  They are a pack oriented god so family oriented rather than taking up with just one member of the family.  I would avoid a specis known to be a one person dog.  The downside is Akitas are exceptionaly protective of the children.  This becomes a concern should friends be over and rough housing.  The dog doesn't like it and will try break it up.  That being said, mine never attacked another person but I had little doubt that should we not be home a stranger would have been in for a world of hurt.  Another downside is the same pack mentality that makes them such a family dog also creates a strong dominate male complex.  If you have a male you will early on have to face him down to show who's boss.  

In general over my life, I've had all kinds of dogs that were good with children.  The ones I had problems with were Eskimo Spitz (they're a one person dog) and Doberman (they get cranky when old).   I would suspect the same issues with poodles, pits, and other small yappers.  

In my childhood, my favorite was a German Shepard (black on brown classic).  They are very smart animals and easily trained.  

I would be amiss if I didn't mention hounds.  Though not the smartest dogs in the world, they do have a strong pack mentality which makes the very good with children.

Tj

ALot of the spitz's have a tendancy toward nipping.
Hounds are great.....we also had a beagle as a kid.  But, she was LOUD.  Barked at flies, howled at the mailman.  Good thing grandma was our neighbor.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Beagle.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I grew up with a Springer Spaniel. She was a great dog. Aggie lived 14 years. I still miss her.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Bassett Hound is my vote. Loyal, friendly, playfull and with those ears he will let you know when seomeone is breaking into your house. Had two of them growing up. Two different personalities but both of them great dogs and true members of the family.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:51:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have owned several difrent breeds of dogs, and the best so far has been a verry well bred apbt.
I however would not recomend this breed. Not bashing or any thing, just they do come with a  stigma, your neighbors will be fearfull, and resent you for "puting you kids in danger along with the whole neighborhood." bad juju. good dogs.  I currently own three Boxers and while they are every thing you asked for, they might be a little high energy for a child with a heart cond. I would recomend boston terriers they are verry loving,alert, watchfull and while their bark is a little weak they are a good watch dog.    
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#8]
We had a boston terrier growing up, they are good dogs also, I forgot ole Tuffy.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have owned several difrent breeds of dogs, and the best so far has been a verry well bred apbt.
I however would not recomend this breed. Not bashing or any thing, just they do come with a  stigma, your neighbors will be fearfull, and resent you for "puting you kids in danger along with the whole neighborhood." bad juju. good dogs.  I currently own three Boxers and while they are every thing you asked for, they might be a little high energy for a child with a heart cond. I would recomend boston terriers they are verry loving,alert, watchfull and while their bark is a little weak they are a good watch dog.    

Aren't BT's high on intelligence?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all your responses.

I never thought about asking the cardiologist about getting a dog!  We have a cat and Gideon has done well with it.  I'll run it by the doc at our next appointment.

I think we are thinking about labs or lab mixes.  Seems they are most reliable and gentle with kids.  We do have a big house and yard so even though we don't live in the country, there is still lots of room for a larger dog.

We are still discussing the puppy vs. getting an adult dog.  Seems a well trained adult would be easier on us but that the children would so enjoy the experience of raising and training the puppy.

We aren't set on pure blood lines or anything like that.  This is a member of the family we are wanting and not a show dog!

Should be making decisions by the end of spring when we hope to get this new member of the family.  When the time comes, we'll post some pics.

Thanks.

Mrs. Ekie
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:31:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Thanks for all your responses.

I never thought about asking the cardiologist about getting a dog!  We have a cat and Gideon has done well with it.  I'll run it by the doc at our next appointment.

I think we are thinking about labs or lab mixes.  Seems they are most reliable and gentle with kids.  We do have a big house and yard so even though we don't live in the country, there is still lots of room for a larger dog.

We are still discussing the puppy vs. getting an adult dog.  Seems a well trained adult would be easier on us but that the children would so enjoy the experience of raising and training the puppy.

We aren't set on pure blood lines or anything like that.  This is a member of the family we are wanting and not a show dog!

Should be making decisions by the end of spring when we hope to get this new member of the family.  When the time comes, we'll post some pics.

Thanks.

Mrs. Ekie

A thing to remember about pure bloodlines is that a reputable breeder will only breed specimens with the proper clearances such as hips, elbows, heart and eyes. Also they will only breed specimens with the proper temperments. This helps to reduce the number of genetic problems associated with any given breed. Labs have a high tendency towards hip displaysia in general, and not paying attention to the bloodlines can increase this probability as it is genetically linked. I would highly recommend researching bloodlines and pedigrees in any breed that you choose, especially the larger breeds such as Labs. You can avoid physical maladies and tempermental maladies such as hyperactive or neurotic behavior by doing research. Nothing is 100%, but it increases your chances of having a healthy, long lived companion.

Speaking on mixed breeds, some people believe that rules out genetic problems. Not true. Its the luck of the draw, they could possible inherit all of the bad traits or good traits from their respective mixed bloodlines.

Good luck with whatever breed you choose!

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top