Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/28/2006 1:54:14 PM EDT
What are yall's opinions?  I've heard they are kinda small on some people, but my face isn't that big.  I'm looking at the Minutes and the Half Jacket.  Probably black frames with polarized black lenses.  Are they really worth $150 though?  If not, can you recommend a nice pair?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:57:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Go Foakleys.  Less heartbreak when they get lost/sat on.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:09:55 PM EDT
[#2]
On my 3rd pair of A-Wires. Expensive to lose/break but they work for me - I'm usually driving all day so I need good glasses.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I paid $100 for mine, and I've had them for 5 years.

It's amazing how conscious of not dropping, sitting, smashing or scratching them you are when you pay that much for a set of glasses.

My next pair will be Oakley's too.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine will be primarily for driving, and I am good at taking care of things like that when I pay that much.  Any preference as to which model for you guys?  Like I said, I'm looking at Minutes and Half Jackets right now and would like some input on these especially.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:19:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I have over $700 into Oakleys. So yeah, I guess I like them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:21:24 PM EDT
[#6]
'Twas a happy day when they put a hinge in the Pro-M frame. I got a set.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#7]
My wife has the half jackets  and really likes them.  She has kind of a round face, and they seem to fit her well.  Plus the lenses are changable like the M frame.  I wear the M frames with sweep lenses.  I'm thinking of trying some of the larger wire frames.  But I get mine half price from Oakley law enforcement purchase, so it's a little easier to afford.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:31:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I've had several pair of them and really like them.

I'm into Maui Jims now, have two pair of them now and like them better than the Oakleys
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#9]
I have had a few pairs over the years and LOVE them. I prefer the M-Frames.

The el-cheapo ones just dont hold up and I am willing to pay the extra price for QUALITY, Great customer service too!

ETA: my wife has worn 'em for years usually E-Wires (which they no longer make). Will be getting her a pair of A-Wires here shortly for her B-Day
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The more you pay, the more you look after them.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm about to order another set of M-frames.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I love my E wires. I have a uber wide head and when I was in school they were the only frames I could find that would fit my head, so I ended up putting my prescription lenses in them. Now I have contacts and have another pair for sunglasses. I am rough on my stuff but they have lasted way longer than anything else I have had. With my old pair I sat on them about three times and really bent the hell out of them. All I needed to do was bend them back into shape and they were good to go. Of course for $180.00 they had better last.

Omni
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have over $700 into Oakleys. So yeah, I guess I like them.

HEH... lightweight. :)

I've got TWO pair of Romeo's (each with custom made lenses).

One pair of Romeo2s

One pair of Juliets

One pair of the 24K XX's.

I love them all.

Check out my custom lens project I did on the Romeos:
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
What are yall's opinions?  I've heard they are kinda small on some people, but my face isn't that big.  I'm looking at the Minutes and the Half Jacket.  Probably black frames with polarized black lenses.  Are they really worth $150 though?  If not, can you recommend a nice pair?  Thanks!

I love my M-Frames. I consider everything I bought before them to be a waste of money.

The optical clarity and protection of Oakleys can't be beat.

My suggestion is that you find a place to try on several different styles and see what works best for you. I like the M frames, but my head is kinda big.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You can loose Oakleys.

Sitting on them, however, won't destroy them like a lot of other glasses. The lenses and frames exceed ANSI standards.

The worst you can do to some Oakleys is scratch the lenses. Thus getting frames that can accept replacement lenses is a good idea.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Worth the money IMO, on my second set of M-Frames originals got chewed up by the dog I had another older model too dont remember the name served me well for about 3 years but lenses got scratched up and they were not chanagable. A pair of Oakleys lasts me years, when I buy cheapos they seem to get fucked up in a matter of months.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:49:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:50:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I have 3 sets of oakly x-metals myself, paid about $250 dollars for each pair.  

Yes, I like them also.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a pair of the penny x-metals. I have a narrow face though. I love the x-metal oakeys, but they are expensive as hell (around $300)
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#21]
I've used the same pair of Oakleys for almost 4 or 5 years now and I love them.  And if you can avoid it dont get the fake ones
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:55:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I have a pair of the penny x-metals. I have a narrow face though. I love the x-metal oakeys, but they are expensive as hell (around $300)

Tell me about it. When I was looking to get my wife a pair of A-Wires I was drawn to the Juliets (I think thats what they are called)for myself, but I dont have 300 to invest in 'em now. My M-frame will have to do for now
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:00:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell me about it. When I was looking to get my wife a pair of A-Wires I was drawn to the Juliets (I think thats what they are called)for myself, but I dont have 300 to invest in 'em now. My M-frame will have to do for now

FYI, you can find them on the internet for cheaper, on ebay for a lot cheaper. I got my new pair of pennies off of ebay brand new for $200 shipped. You just got to keep an eye out for the good deals
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#24]
I was in Sunglasses hut and the guy in there told me Oakley Lenses would withstand a shotgun blast. I know what he meant, but I couldn't help thinking, if I get shot in the face with a shotgun, I'm probably not to worried about my Oakleys.

I guess if you survive a shotgun blast to the face, it would be nice to be able to see though.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#25]
It seems that almost everyone loves the M-frames.  I'm going to have to find a place around here that carries Oakleys and try on some different models.  Like I said, mine will be primarily for driving but I might want to get another pair for work.  I run a lawn service in the summer and need a good pair of sunglasses to keep grass and shit out of my eyes.  I can't stand the big safety glasses that always fog up.  I would definitely want replaceable lenses for the work pair, just in case they get fubar'd.  But that's not necessary for driving glasses which is why I was also looking at the Minutes.  They were "in" a few years back and I've always liked them, but now I'm starting to feel partial to the Half Jacket and you guys might push me over to the M-frames.  
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I was in Sunglasses hut and the guy in there told me Oakley Lenses would withstand a shotgun blast. I know what he meant, but I couldn't help thinking, if I get shot in the face with a shotgun, I'm probably not to worried about my Oakleys.

I guess if you survive a shotgun blast to the face, it would be nice to be able to see though.

That is why some of the best firearms trainers in the business recommend them. They can name people who have intact eyeballs because they wear good glass.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:17:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Nice, glasses, expensive, but nice.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#28]
My S-4 shop somehow got authorization to order us half jackets before we deployed to Iraq.

Best and most comfortable sunglasses I've ever owned(not just cuz' they were free).

Good thing I snagged 6 pair!!!!!  Take that Uncle Sam!!!!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:18:58 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
It seems that almost everyone loves the M-frames.  I'm going to have to find a place around here that carries Oakleys and try on some different models.  Like I said, mine will be primarily for driving but I might want to get another pair for work.  I run a lawn service in the summer and need a good pair of sunglasses to keep grass and shit out of my eyes.  I can't stand the big safety glasses that always fog up.  I would definitely want replaceable lenses for the work pair, just in case they get fubar'd.  But that's not necessary for driving glasses which is why I was also looking at the Minutes.  They were "in" a few years back and I've always liked them, but now I'm starting to feel partial to the Half Jacket and you guys might push me over to the M-frames.  

if you feel your face is small, then the M-frames probably wont be for you. They are pretty wide. If you must have the M-frame, check out the baseball frames, they are a little bit more narrow than regualr ones
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#30]
I got the XX.

Works very, very well for me.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:31:46 PM EDT
[#31]
I buy Oakley sunglasses but it's because I like the styles.  I buy the $80-120 range.  Good thing for me that I don't lose or sit on my sunglasses like other people and so I get many years use out of them before I buy again.  But I can't say that your getting any huge advantage over cheaper pairs.  I think it's more a matter of preference, that's all.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:37:43 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

if you feel your face is small, then the M-frames probably wont be for you. They are pretty wide. If you must have the M-frame, check out the baseball frames, they are a little bit more narrow than regualr ones

To give you an idea, I bought a pair of Wiley X SG-1's this summer for a trip to New Mexico.  With the regular temples, they were pretty big on my face.  The only way I got them to fit tight was to take the temples off and use the elastic goggle strap.  But like I said, I'm going to find a local shop that carries them and try on several different models.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#33]
I am a Revo freak and have owned 3 pairs over the last 10 years.  Their lenses are unbeatable.  Recently I broke a pair of frames and sent them back for repair.  I wanted something to use until I got them back, and I wanted something with more eye protection (coverage) while fishing so I went to Sunglass Hut and checked everything out.  I ended up buying a pair of the Oakley Half Jacket's.  I took a pair of the Revo's and the Half Jacket's outside to compare and to be honest the Oakley plastic lenses were pretty comparable.  I noticed some differences and still prefer the Revo glass but the Half Jackets are pretty nice for plastic lenses.  I have very sensitive eyes and plastic lenses usually give me headaches but the Oakley's are quite good.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:50:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I've had Blades, (Mframe precursor), M-Freames, Squre Wire 2.0's(my favorite GP glass), and Half Jacket XLJ's!  For shooting sports, the XlJ's are BY FAR my favorite.  Oakleys are the best on the market for low cost 100% optical clarity and safety.  Take a look at some of the pics from training classes, most of those guys can wear anything at substantial discounts, but overwhelmingly the top trainers wear and recommend Oakleys!  No better glasses exist for the money!  You only get two eyes, keep'em!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:11:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Have a pair of a-wires since 2002 --just put new lenses in them for the first time, love em for driving. More recently picked up a pair of half jackets and they are fantastic , lightweight snug and easilly interchengeable lenses. Expensive as far as sunglasses go --yep. Worth every penny --and its true you take care of and are more concious of them, conversely they last much longer. I probably woulda spent at least that much in "disposable" sunglasses in the 2002-now time frame. Easily.
I wear prescription glassses normally and driving with the oakley lenses on sunny or bright hazy days is just amazing --very clear , crisp detail. I'll never go back to cheapos agian.
If you buy half jackets at Sunglass Hut (or anywhere else) they will probably clean em before turning em over to you, boxing em back up whatever --make sure the lenses are snapped in all the way before you put em on for the first time after that.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 7:54:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a pair of M frames that I've used since 2002.  Theyused to be my primary glasses, now they are restricted to range use. The glasses I've been using primarily since the end of 04 have been my half jackets.  I rcently changed out the original fire iridium lenses for some black polarized and am seriously thinking about changing back.   I shoot with the half jackets on, work in them, etc
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:00:55 PM EDT
[#37]
These have given good service thus far.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can loose Oakleys.

Sitting on them, however, won't destroy them like a lot of other glasses. The lenses and frames exceed ANSI standards.

The worst you can do to some Oakleys is scratch the lenses. Thus getting frames that can accept replacement lenses is a good idea.

Stepped on my C Wires after they had fallen off my t-shirt, while carrying about 100lbs of ammo on my lap.

After some bending work, they were good to go again..

And this was only one instance where they proved their worth.

A pair of M Frames are coming for shooting work.

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#39]
I Love My M-Frames,   Ijust got the VR-28 lens,  and it's great.

I also have clear,  and gray.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#40]
I have a pair of black Minutes and love them.  They have a really simple, elegant look.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#41]
M frames with smoke and clear lens. Keap them in the hard case when not in use.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:25:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Thing I hate about Oakley's is I find a pair I love and by the time I break them they are no longer make the same "model"...

I've been wearing Natives now. About the same look as the Oakley's I liked and a lifetime warranty.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:11:06 AM EDT
[#45]
I got a pair of ewires in 1995 and they lasted me until 2004. Think I paid $140 or so for them back then. I crushed one half of the frame where the left lens was at lollapallooza (sp?) II but I was able to bend them back to where you couldn't tell and wear them for several more years  I just bought a pair of juliets b/c they changed the ewires & I liked the juliet design better.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:12:20 AM EDT
[#46]
Half jacket XLJs rock.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#47]
If I get the Half Jackets, can I switch between the regular lenses and the XLJ's with the same frames?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:20:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:23:12 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I am a Revo freak and have owned 3 pairs over the last 10 years.  Their lenses are unbeatable.  Recently I broke a pair of frames and sent them back for repair.  I wanted something to use until I got them back, and I wanted something with more eye protection (coverage) while fishing so I went to Sunglass Hut and checked everything out.  I ended up buying a pair of the Oakley Half Jacket's.  I took a pair of the Revo's and the Half Jacket's outside to compare and to be honest the Oakley plastic lenses were pretty comparable.  I noticed some differences and still prefer the Revo glass but the Half Jackets are pretty nice for plastic lenses.  I have very sensitive eyes and plastic lenses usually give me headaches but the Oakley's are quite good.

+1 on the Revos

I'm not overly impressed with Oakley glass. It's certainly no better than Revo, Ocean Waves, etc.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#50]
I love the style of the Oakleys, but for some reason. they just look big on my head.  I have a pretty narrow head.

I've owned Armani, Revo, Oakley, Ray Ban, and Maui Jim, and if you want the best in clarity, I believe IMHO it's the Maui Jims....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top