Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
If I get the Half Jackets, can I switch between the regular lenses and the XLJ's with the same frames?

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:49:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Having been in jobs where wearing sunglassas 9-10hrs per day is the norm.  I can truly say that I don't get headaches caused by optical distortion from wearing Oakleys.  And as someone who shoots 2K or more rounds per month I enjoy their protection as well.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you guys think about lense color/tint?  I'm leaning towards the black iridium polarized right now.  Don't know too much about the different colors.. blue, red, yellow, etc.  Care to enlighten me?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 12:54:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy a pair, you'll like'em
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm on my 5th pair of Minutes in 7 or 8 years.  I buy them and they get lost or stolen.  Luckily I've had the pair I have now for about 2 years (knock on wood).  I love them they fit nicely, look good and really save my eyes.  I wear them while: skiing, shooting, motorcycle riding, hiking, camping --you name it.  If you care about your eyes, get a pair!

--VT

ETA: great customer service, I've sent back a few pairs for broken frames and Oakley has replaced them (even ones past their 1 yr warrantee)

+1 for Oakleys
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What do you guys think about lense color/tint?  I'm leaning towards the black iridium polarized right now.  Don't know too much about the different colors.. blue, red, yellow, etc.  Care to enlighten me?

Tons of info:
Lens info
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I forgot to give my props to Oakley for replacing a pair for free. When I got blown up my glasses were destroyed (or so I was told). I e-mailed their customer support and asked if they could find it in their corporate hearts to replace the pair I "lost". They told me "sorry, no". So I wrote a letter to the president of the company and explained the situation to him. A few weeks later I received a reply in the mail... along with a new pair of glasses.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:59:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I prefer the  +Red Iridium lenses with black frames-

My Original pair had +red lenses. When the lenses were finally headed (after a decade of service) I bought another set of +red lenses.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:00:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 pair of Minutes and the "shooting array"  Half Jackets.

All were purchased through the Gov't program.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Ocean Waves

Best sunglasses made. I have had mine for almost 7 years. Nothing but 100% quality and a lifetime frame warranty. They are going to run around $200 for the glass lenses. Oakleys are not even in the same class as Ocean Waves.  I suppose Oakleys are for those who want the Tactical look....

Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Best thing about Oakley...

Available in Rx!
~Dg84
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Ocean Waves

Best sunglasses made. I have had mine for almost 7 years. Nothing but 100% quality and a lifetime frame warranty. They are going to run around $200 for the glass lenses. Oakleys are not even in the same class as Ocean Waves. I suppose Oakleys are for those who want the Tactical look....

Or those who want 100% optical clarity AND protection that exceeds most ANSI specifications.  Do yours provide both of these?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:04:41 AM EDT
[#13]
The Polycarb lenses are shatterproof but You still may have me on the specific wording of the ANSI rating(Obviously the glass lenses are at a disadvantage here). As far as optical quality, it isnt even close:

#

100% polarization: Best elimination of harsh glare.
#

100% UVA/UVB/UVC blockage: Up to 420 nm.
Maximum blockage of blue and infrared light.
#

Finest optical-quality glass polarized lenses.
Unequaled optic: Truer color perception without distortion.

Lens Construction
The Ocean Waves laminated lens is an engineering masterpiece to offer you the best in eye comfort and protection and the clearest distortion-free lens you can find

1. Our mirrors are vacuum coated – with 12 separate coatings – to produce the utmost in consistency and distortion-free visual clarity.
  2. We use the strongest adhesive available in the world.
  3. Our anti-reflective coatings are state-of-the-art. Seven coatings of magnesium hexafluoride are thermally applied by a unique vacuum process to the inside of the lens to ensure absolute consistency. They absorb the “bounce-back” of glare and U.V. light.
  4. Distortion-free glass lenses: highly scratch resistant.
  5. Ocean Waves polarization film is the best available on the market.
  6. We also apply coatings to the back of the lens, making them even more scratch resistant and easy to clean.

Lens Materials

Glass
Product I. D. B-270 Superwhite Crown Glass
Product features:
  Purest optical lens material,
  Most uniform quality,
  Best transmission of visual light
Refractive index: 1.523
Specific gravity: 2.6
Polycarbonate
Product features:
  Light weight,
  Shatter resistant.
Use: Ideal for outdoor sports and recreation
Available in our Blades and Beta-Ti styles.
#

Superior scratch resistance: Mirrors encased between 2 glass lenses.
#

Optical quality frames.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:15:41 AM EDT
[#14]
Juliets for everyday wear (5 years of abuse and they're still good)

M-Frames w/ the Hybrid S clear shields for lab work.

I got an old e-wire around here somewhere too....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:45:06 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

The Black iridium was my choice as it does a good job of reducing the light without making it hard to see. Some sunglasses are too dark in that you cannot see a darn thing unless the sun is a foot from your face.

The Black Iridiums are just right, and they don't cause any real color distortion either. Everything looks pretty normal, just not overpoweringly bright. Since I have made a habit of wearing my Oakleys all the time, I have noticed that my sight has actually improved a bit. I am more sensitive to light and I see better in the dark. Must be from not having all that direct sunlight frying my eyeballs.

The various colors of Oakley lenses are meant for specific light conditions to give the maximum performance.

Personally, I use the black iridium lenses, the persimon lenses, and the clear lenses. The black iridium is for full sunlight or mostly sunny days, the persimon for very cloudy and overcast days, and the clear for indoor work or night protection.

The black iridium lenses offer the least light transmission which would lead you to believe that they are very dark in that you can't see anything indoors or on overcast days. The truth is that they are not all that dark and can even be worn comfortably indoors. I am often chastised because I come in from outside wearing my glasses but don't realize it because they are so comfortable I don't remember I am wearing anything and because I can see without problem.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:48:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:53:59 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Ocean Waves

Best sunglasses made. I have had mine for almost 7 years. Nothing but 100% quality and a lifetime frame warranty. They are going to run around $200 for the glass lenses. Oakleys are not even in the same class as Ocean Waves.  I suppose Oakleys are for those who want the Tactical look....

I am sure there are other manufacturers out there who make good products.

What I have yet to find is someone who makes glasses as comfortable, durable, and safe as Oakley's glasses. Oakley's optical clarity is sufficient to use their lenses even with high end rifle scopes at high magnification. Their frames are comfortable and light enough to forget that you are wearing them. Their lenses do not meed ANSI standards, they EXCEED ANSI standards by a fairly wide margin.

They are quite simply the best all around product on the market.

That is why "tactical" folks buy them.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Excellent thread!  I've been looking for a pair of sunglasses and wanted some with high grade ballistic protection.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#19]
I've been wearing Oakley's for years.  Swear by em.  I take care of them too, so they last me a number of years.

In my earlier risky years I wore eye jackets, now I wear neo-esque wire frames.

Fine shades indeed though, I love em.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:52:05 AM EDT
[#20]
Whats the word on ease of getting some Rx lenses in these things?  Being damn near blind, I need Rx shades and clip ons suck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:54:01 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Whats the word on ease of getting some Rx lenses in these things?  Being damn near blind, I need Rx shades and clip ons suck.

Check w/ your optometrist. Most of them around here stock oakley frames.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 10:55:30 AM EDT
[#22]
I have 2 pairs of M-Frames and will not use anything else. I used to use cheapo whatever style glasses but since I got the M-Frames, I'm ruined.

The optical clarity is perfect. It's like not wearing glasses. Bonus points: Good side protection and excellent overall protection (better than ANSI standard)

Oh, and when I sent one pair in because I couldn't get the lens installed they did it for me for free and sent them back with a drawstring bag... I'm an Oakley customer now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Half Jacket with Blk. Irid. Polar.  Spend the little extra to get polarized.  I drive approx. 1000 miles

a week, all day time.  NO glare means NO more headaches for me.  They are extremly comfortable

and light weight.  You can wear them all day long and almost forget you have them on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:47:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I have been using Oakley glasses since the mid-80s when I started racing bicycles.  Great products.  When I was in college I went down in a gravelly turn at 25-30 mph - straight face plant on my right eye/forehead..  The frame went straight into the skin around my eye - 17 stiches to repair.  The lens was badly scratched by the gravel and the force of the impact blew out several capillaries in my right eye turning the white surface bright red, but the lens held and there was no damage to the eyeball.

I love 'em.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I was in Sunglasses hut and the guy in there told me Oakley Lenses would withstand a shotgun blast. I know what he meant, but I couldn't help thinking, if I get shot in the face with a shotgun, I'm probably not to worried about my Oakleys.

I guess if you survive a shotgun blast to the face, it would be nice to be able to see though.

About seven years ago, my cousin was in a pretty nasty truck accident.  His Oakleys, literally saved his eyes.  His face went through the windshield and the only part of his face that wasn't shredded was the part covered by his Oakleys.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I own seven pairs of non RX:

1 pair Juliets
1 Pair Crosshairs
2 pair Straight Jackets
1 pair Twenties
1 Pair Minutes
1 pair M-Frames with Amber, G30, Clear and SMoke lenses for shooting

and two pairs of RX Oakleys:

Hollowpoint 4.0's
Rx Juliets

They are worth every dime you spend on them.

One, if you sit on them, you are as likely as not to do no harm at all, and if you do I'd bet Oakley will warranty them...I've NEVER had them not make something right, on their dime,  even stupid shit that was my fault.

Two, you WILL know where they are at all times.

Go for it...you'll be glad you did.

SG

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:02:48 PM EDT
[#27]
I have own Oakleys, Maui Jims and Ray Bans. Currently wearing Oakley XXL. Whatever you buy, get polorized lens. Easier on the eyes and stops the glare.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Love'em, have a pair of Minutes, want a pair of Half Jacket XLJs.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:08:45 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

1 pair Juliets
1 Pair Crosshairs
2 pair Straight Jackets
1 pair Twenties
1 Pair Minutes

What's the difference between the Straight Jackets, Twenties, and Minutes?  Size maybe?  They look the same to me.  Also, If I get half jackets or m-frames for shooting, what color lenses should I get?  The m-frame shooting array I think comes with a green and clear lense?  What would be best for outdoor range work?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 pair Juliets
1 Pair Crosshairs
2 pair Straight Jackets
1 pair Twenties
1 Pair Minutes

What's the difference between the Straight Jackets, Twenties, and Minutes?  Size maybe?  They look the same to me.  Also, If I get half jackets or m-frames for shooting, what color lenses should I get?  The m-frame shooting array I think comes with a green and clear lense?  What would be best for outdoor range work?  Thanks!

I use a clear, Blue Iridium(yellow), VR26 or 28(can't remember), and black Iridium lenses in my Half Jacket XLJ's.  For shooting, I mainly use the yellow (Blue Iridium) in daylight, and the clear in low-light.  If it's a bright day, i stick with the everyday Black Iridium.  Rarely do I use the brown/amber tinted VR lenses, but some prefer them to the yellow.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

1 pair Juliets
1 Pair Crosshairs
2 pair Straight Jackets
1 pair Twenties
1 Pair Minutes

There are subtle differences in the design of each...Minutes were a gift and are a bit too small for my face.

There's  more of a "wrapround" frame on the Straights than the XX's. I like thethe SJ's almost as much as my Juliets, but the Juliets are the SHIT. (But Expensive...Non RX were 300+, and my RX were, well, I coulda bought a cheap AR for what they cost.)

For Bright light shooting, I use either an amber tinted Blue iridium lens or the standard grey tint with Black iridium coating.

For Sunny but not ridiculous bright days all the way to rain and full overcast, the G30 kicks the living shit out of any other tint. Unfortunately , I do not think it's being produced anymore. VR28 would be my next choice.

I also like the Amber indoors, and in low light,  clear.

Good luck!

SG
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top