Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/28/2006 1:31:45 PM EDT
Recently my employer decided to become .mil friendly and will now match pay for reservists who are deployed/training. I've always regretted not joining the military straight out of high school, and I wasn't able to afford the pay difference, until now.

I've done some research and I think the Navy Reserve will be the best fit. I want to come in as a Master at Arms. I am 28 yoa with a AA in Criminal Justice. I have been employed as a Deputy Sheriff for the last 18 months. Prior to that I was a Shift Commander at a county jail.

What can I expect as far as training goes in terms of length and locations? Can I come in at a higher pay grade with my experience? What should I plan for if/when I go to the recruiter?

ANY information will be appreciated!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:39:00 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:39:51 PM EDT
The Navy Reserve has the most flexible system of all the reserve components for matching your civilian job training to your military work field (in the Navy it's called a rating). I know of at least one older fellow who came in as a Naval Reserve Journalist (using his civilian skills as a writer).

I'd think you would be eligible to come in directly and use your LE skills as a Master at Arms, Security Police, or as a weapons trainer.

As a reservist you would also be eligible to shoot on the Navy Reserve Rifle and Pistol Teams, both in bullseye and combat disciplines (www.usnst.org).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:55:54 PM EDT

With the MA Rate, I'd be prepared to deploy as soon as your 84 days are up.

You'll spent about a year drilling "traditionally." This will be at the local Reserve Center as part of the NPSAC unit (Non Prior Service Accession.) After about a year, you'll AT for boot camp (17 days.) They will probably bring you aboard as a GM (Gunners Mate.) After boot, you'll have the opportunity to cross rate into the MA rate.

After you have a total of 84 days of training (all drills, boot camp, etc,) you are legal to be deployed OCUNUS.

The Naval Reserve is taking a bunch of what I call the "Naval Infantry" mission. Security Detachments, Mobile Inshore Warfare, Small Boat Units. They are being deployed, mostly for 1 year.

If you still have questions, PM me.

Screech
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:22:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
You'll have to talk with a recuiter to determine you're enlistment options.

I'm not even sure you can come in as an MAA as I think they're all E-4 and above and gleamed from other ratings. A recuiter would know. Get everything in writing. Everything.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR.......The only true MA are E-7 and above E4-E6 are taken from the ranks and still hold their Rate........FYI
Top Top