Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/28/2006 12:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 12:37:55 PM EDT by limaxray]
Picked this up at a show today. Traded a beat-up makarov in .380 that I paid about $140 for a couple of years ago and $360 for this thing:

The guy said it was a WWII bringback he had picked up somewhere, and that he had rebarrelled long ago. Here's the receiver:

Google shows it was made in Nov 1942. Hammer, and trigger group are all SA as well (haven't had a chance to check the op rod). Barrel is a 1951 HRA, but it's pretty shot out. I did the "put a .30-06 bullet nose down in the crown" check, and if the bullet hadn't been attached to a case I think I would have lost it in there. Upper handguard is cracked as well, but I know a guy who is willing to replace that for me.

Stock is cartouched (though faint on the proof marks) and the gas cylinder is just a little tiny bit loose.

So, did I do okay? I need to get it rebarrelled, but as far as I can tell he was correct that it's all SA.

ETA: Forgot to mention, bolt is SA as well.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:42:33 PM EDT
Looks good to me. You may want to get that swirly thing on the receiver looked at. It looks like someone tore a hole in the universe and opened a portal to another dimension. That's gotta affect your accuracy somewhat.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:47:16 PM EDT
Yes you did good.

and yes, I hate you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:53:38 PM EDT
From the CMP website for a rack grade (not a greek return).

R001SAR M1 Garand, Springfield Armory $350

I would say you paid a bit on the high side if your barrel is that bad.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:54:07 PM EDT
I pretty much hate you.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:06:47 PM EDT
Hell no, you did very well...collectors pay a premium for 6 digit S/N's....they are prime for restoration.

Any cartouches on the stock (left side below receiver, and under pistol grip)?

List the drawing # on the bolt, and I'll tell you if the bolt is correct...

If perchance the bolt is correct, and the trigger group is correct this would be a prime candidate for a good restoration.

A 6 digit s/n gun, correctly restored to original condition could fetch upwards of $1200....easily.

It wouldn't be cheap or easy to do, but Garand nuts do it all the time...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:11:07 PM EDT
What SN's are the non-return Springfields that the CMP has left?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:53:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 1:54:27 PM EDT by limaxray]
I've got a really good cartouche on the pistol grip:

and there's a very, VERY faint square cartouche on the left side, you can tell there are letters in there, but can't tell what they are. Might be a J (unknown) A.

Drawing numbers:
Bolt: 6628287-SA A15
Hammer: C46008-7 SA
Trigger housing: 028290-12 SA
Op rod: 7790722 SA

On the right receiver under the wood is the following:

R33 U 28291-17

There's also a much fainter and larger W above that.

ETA: Get this, there appears to be COSMOLINE in the bottom part of the mag well!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 1:59:17 PM EDT
Well, I'll have to consult my books when i get home...but at least from the appearence of the drawing #'s, some of the parts are at least WWII vintage (the drawing number config changed post war...)

I believe the bolt is post war, but I could be wrong...I'll check my books, and hopefully I'll be able to find the post tomorrow...

If you want, PM me with all the pertinent data (I don't need the s/n....just the date you figured, plus the three digits I can see in the photo)...and I'll reply with the correct stuff for that vintage rifle...
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:01:15 PM EDT
WAIT...

6 digit Garand, DAMN I hate you even more now.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:05:50 PM EDT
I notice form this board a lot of things are so regional, but out this way to even discuss Garands, $650 at the funshow minimum. I think you did good.

I dont know what the bullet all the way to the brass measures relative to a ME number, mine is <2 with appx 1/4 inch of bullet. I think you did real good for something you can shoot the hell out of and dont have do be all anal picky on every little movement.

BTW- I read on here, and did it, to fix the loose gas tube peen the splines on the barrel. I did it and it sucked my groups right in.

Good job, and if these guys insist you got ripped off, I will send you your money back and take it off your hands.

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:10:11 PM EDT

Originally Posted By pzjgr:
Well, I'll have to consult my books when i get home...but at least from the appearence of the drawing #'s, some of the parts are at least WWII vintage (the drawing number config changed post war...)

I believe the bolt is post war, but I could be wrong...I'll check my books, and hopefully I'll be able to find the post tomorrow...

If you want, PM me with all the pertinent data (I don't need the s/n....just the date you figured, plus the three digits I can see in the photo)...and I'll reply with the correct stuff for that vintage rifle...

That's very nice of you....PM inbound!

Your mention of the post-war bolt is what I'm afraid of--that the guy basically bought a bunch of SA-marked parts and threw them together, and claimed them to be all correct. Still, I'm pretty excited about it.

The other thing I forgot to mention is that the stock appears to be repaired. The black stripe down the side under the clip latch appears to be a strip of wood glued into a groove in the stock. There's also a small .25" X .25" square cut of the same color wood right in front of the trigger guard on the bottom side of the stock.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:18:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/28/2006 2:20:00 PM EDT by pzjgr]

Originally Posted By limaxray:

Originally Posted By pzjgr:

That's very nice of you....PM inbound!

Well, the main thing is that you got a 6 digit receiver....that is the part that give Garand guys wood (even bigger wood for 5 digit, and so on for 4 digits...!)

The point is you have a nice piece, for a good price regardless. But restoring Garands is a lot of fun. It can take a while, but there is always the excitement of finding a correct piece and adding it.

I did it with on I have...a June of 44 gun. It is currently all correct, except for the barrel. If I find the properly dated barrel someday, I'll have them swapped. The gun I paid $350 for is now worth around $900 to $1000, and if I correct the barrel it will jump to $1300 or more (with the proviso that any gun is only really worth what you can get for it if you sell it).

This according to a US Martial Arms Guru in NYS....

Again, it can be expensive...especially the stock. To get a correct, real, nice stock for that early a dated Garand could cost a lot more than you paid for the gun! I have seen guys pay $600 for a correct stock....

But again, if you take your time, and are not in a rush...who knows what you may find cheap....

I will dig up the info for all the correct parts and drawing numbers for you, and PM them, probably tomorrow, or Monday at the latest....

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:22:32 PM EDT
Bastard
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:35:07 PM EDT

6 digits???
You did great!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:45:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By napalm:
Looks good to me. You may want to get that swirly thing on the receiver looked at. It looks like someone tore a hole in the universe and opened a portal to another dimension. That's gotta affect your accuracy somewhat.

Well, you just lead to the left a little bit....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:10:16 PM EDT
The more research I do, the more excited I am about this.

A little more detail: stock has been repaired, definitely not original. Op rod spring was broken in half, and there was cosmoline all under the stock and inside the op rod. Looks like the previous owner never took the time to clean that crap out.

There is ZERO rust on this thing. Lots of dents and dings, which to me just screams "character."

Op rod is not original, I think the hammer, trigger housing, and bolt are.

Funny thing is, I've got an HRA import that has an EARLIER hammer than this thing (HRA has a -3, the SA has a -7), as well as a matching op rod.

Question for the Garand experts: what is the general rule of thumb for matching barrels to recievers, time-wise? I've got a line on a great condition SA Jan 43 barrel, and want to know if that's close enough for restoration purposes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:42:52 PM EDT
It IS a six digit!

Bastard J/K Looks like ya did good
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:45:45 PM EDT
I'll give ya $375 and pay shipping and transfer fees
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:47:44 PM EDT
Any pics of the Makarov?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:55:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 5:58:16 PM EDT by hughjafj]
The barrel should be within two months either way. January 1943 would work.
Thar rifle is most likely a CMP gun. Don't trust what the guy said. It ain't no bringback or it would be original. They didn't bring back garands anyway.
Top Top