This guy "talks the talk" I hope he "walks the walk" too

Altman proposes fining Mexico
Interview on Spanish-language TV

PRENTISS FINDLAY
The Post and Courier
Charleston.net
1-28-06
www.charleston.net/stories/?newsID=67837§ion=localnews
HANAHAN - In an interview with local Spanish-language TV station WJEA, state Rep. John Graham Altman on Friday proposed fining Mexico $1 million in U.S. aid for every illegal alien from the country found here.
(with 25+MILLION illegals here $100 each is a quarter of a BILLION )

"The Mexican government is disgraceful. America can not be the welfare system for Mexico," said Altman, R-Charleston.

WJEA owners Phyllis Bancroft and Jose Villegas sat down with Altman at his law office for more than an hour to discuss the issue of illegal immigrants, and his controversial bill that would allow South Carolina to lock them up. Bancroft and Villegas will translate his interview into Spanish for the station's viewers.

Altman said the issue is as much about the people who employ illegal aliens as the immigrants themselves. "Until we put three or four CEOs in jail, they won't think we're serious," Altman said.

He said illegal aliens are exploited because they receive low wages or no pay at all, no health insurance and no retirement. "The folks who want to help illegal aliens ought to support this bill," he said.

Bancroft, Villegas and Altman had a congenial discussion, although they did not always agree. Bancroft said there are gray areas such as an illegal from Mexico who sneaks across the border to provide a better life for his family.

Altman said the issue is black and white. Either someone is here legally or he is not. He said his bill is necessary because the federal government is not doing its job securing U.S. borders.

Before the interview, Bancroft said she was not out to lambaste Altman or set a trap for him. "I'm not looking for a combat situation," she said.

Bancroft interviewed Altman so he could explain his bill to Lowcountry Spanish-speaking people who may be affected by it. She said the tri-county area has at least 50,000 Hispanic people; about 26,000 of them are Mexican.

"I serve a community that could be drastically affected. I don't agree with this man's ideas, but it's my job to present them," she said.

She thought Altman would turn down her request for an interview. Initially, he wasn't keen on the idea. "I didn't want to do it, but it's hard to say no," he said.

"I'm happy to do that, but the message has got to be clear. If you want to come to this country legally, we want you. But if you're trying get in here illegally, you're just another criminal," he said.

Altman's bill creates a felony trespass law, punishable by up to five years in prison, that authorizes the state to seize vehicles, property and assets of illegal immigrants.

"I'm trying to reach out. It would be nice if we could get cooperation from the Hispanic community. Those who come here legally don't need to be cut in line by those who are here illegally," he said.

The Altman interview will appear next week on the WJEA half-hour news show "Treinta Minutos." The show airs at 7 p.m. Friday and 10:30 a.m. Saturday and Sunday on broadcast channel 12 and Knology cable channel 98. Comcast cable channel 78 carries the program Monday through Wednesday at 7 p.m.

Coverage of Altman's bill in The Post and Courier drew the attention of the Fox News show "Hannity and Colmes," which interviewed Altman last month.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Shit, why didn't I think of that? When I made my list of things to do to fix the country, I was all for simply deporting them so they'd have to deal with The Wall. If they did brave it and got inside the country again, then they'd get deported to Liberia. Now I can charge Mexico for the costs of shipping all their undesirables to another continent!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:39:50 AM EDT
[#2]

"I'm happy to do that, but the message has got to be clear. If you want to come to this country legally,
we want you. But if you're trying get in here illegally, you're just another criminal," he said.

+1!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 11:49:38 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Shit, why didn't I think of that? When I made my list of things to do to fix the country, I was all for simply deporting them so they'd have to deal with The Wall. If they did brave it and got inside the country again, then they'd get deported to Liberia. Now I can charge Mexico for the costs of shipping all their undesirables to another continent!

actually no, if you read the article it says "fining Mexico $1 million in U.S. aid for every illegal alien from the country found here."
it just means we're going to give them less foreign aid. how about we give them no foreign aid and tell them to fix their own fucking country instead.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:00:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

actually no, if you read the article it says "fining Mexico $1 million in U.S. aid for every illegal alien from the country found here."
it just means we're going to give them less foreign aid. how about we give them no foreign aid and tell them to fix their own fucking country instead.

How about every illegal we catch sneaking over we give a rifle and 200 rounds of ammo and tell them to go back and fix their own country.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 3:32:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Altman's bill creates a felony trespass law, punishable by up to five years in prison,
that authorizes the state to seize vehicles, property and assets of illegal immigrants.

The local municipalities should LOVE this aspect of "immigration" reform
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

How about every illegal we catch sneaking over we give a rifle and 200 rounds of ammo and tell them to go back and fix their own country.

you know, that's a pretty fucking smart idea.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

"I'm happy to do that, but the message has got to be clear. If you want to come to this country legally,
we want you. But if you're trying get in here illegally, you're just another criminal," he said.

+1!

Bingo!

My opinion stated perfectly by a politician, never thought I'd see the day.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 5:17:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone should forward this thread to the whitehouse. I wonder if GW has thought of this?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Someone should forward this thread to the whitehouse. I wonder if GW has thought of this?

I'm sure mexico will be complaining to bush about Altman
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:47:41 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and none of them are going to use those to murder any BP that catches them when they come back into the US to smuggle more drugs, underage sex slaves, or convincted felons into the country.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:50:53 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, and none of them are going to use those to murder any BP that catches them when they come back into the US to smuggle more drugs, underage sex slaves, or convincted felons into the country.

Yeah, we'd have to capture them, train them as an army and airdrop them over mexico city
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
The liberals here in SC hate Altman.

He calls it like he sees it, is totally un-PC, and is willing to tell someone their baby is ugly if necessary.

I really hope this gains traction.  Our local flea market looks more like Tijuana than Ladson, South Carolina.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:53:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Not exactly what I had thought of in the past:

When an Illegal (from ANY) country comes into the US and receives medical care, the Hosptial documents the cost and origin of the Illegal.   If the bill is not paid, it is submitted to the US.Gov.Org.  That money is reimbursed directly from any funds paid to that country.

So, if the US gives $100 Billion in aid to Mexico and the annual cost of medical care to the illegals is $50billion, Mexico gets a "Check" for $50 billion instead.

Yeah, it would create a bit of a hassle for paperwork, but might keep the failing hospitals in business.

AFARR
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:15:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The liberals here in SC hate Altman.

He calls it like he sees it, is totally un-PC, and is willing to tell someone their baby is ugly if necessary.

I really hope this gains traction.  Our local flea market looks more like Tijuana than Ladson, South Carolina.

They need to pass and implement some of this stuff BEFORE the next election
If he did that I would vote for this guy for pres even if he was a dem
(it would be my first time voting for a dem pres)

ALTMAN RULES
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top